2001: A Space Odyssey - Zero Gravity Toilet Instructions

Dondragmer

Does anyone have a good estimate on the dimensions for the Zero Gravity Toilet Instructions from 2001: A Space Odyssey? I have accurate artwork all laid out in vector format, and my goal is to have it output to film on an old-school imagesetter at a nearby graphics place. The precise size has me stumped, though.

2001 Zero Gravity Toilet.jpg

That was my first guess as well, US Legal size, but I thought it looked bigger too. Plus, I don't know if they even have that size in the UK.

Legal size paper in America measures 8-1/2 inches wide by 14 inches long. Letter size is 8-1/2 inches wide by 11 inches long. There is also 17 inches wide by 11 inches long, that paper is most commonly used to make booklets.

David.

14 inches high agrees well with my own estimates. I did a crude analysis by resizing a full shot of William Sylvester to scale with the image above, and using his height as a guide I came up with the same measurement. 7 inches wide is a bit too narrow, though -- the sign's aspect ratio is closer to 2:3, which would yield a width of around 9 inches.

I doubt the original piece conformed to standard American paper sizes, since the production was based in England and the original graphic was almost certainly created as a photographic transparency. Still, 8.5x14 looks just about right, and with that size I'll be able to use an off-the-shelf illuminated menu holder as the basis for its display -- much less hassle than designing and building a custom backlit frame.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back