2001 : A Space Odyssey chestbox

Carl500

Hello, I'm new here,

I'm working on the 2001 : A Space Odyssey Discovery space suit. The suit will be made by a seamstress but all the other parts will be 3D printed. I'm currently working on the chestbox Dave and Frank have when they're in the suit.

Here's a picture of my current work, I'm trying to make it as accurate as possible using the movie itself, behind the scenes pics etc... The joystick you can see isn't made by me, I found it on a free model on the web.

I made a hole where there is a kind of a screen because I'd like to attach a real screen, even if it's not accurate, to show some geometric pictures, 60's like.

I found a jetpack file on the web so I wouldn't have to model it. The only thing that's gonna have to be modeled is the helmet, I'm going to give it a try even if my experience in 3D modeling is close to 0 haha, that's why I asked Zyote (RPF member who has a life size accurate Discovery helmet) for measurements and he kindly sent me a lot of pictures with a ruler

vg6h.png

Last edited:
So far so good...it's a journey for sure. Not the easiest suit to build. Glad you have some 3-D printed parts (and one of our member's helmet with the proper size) to help you getting accurate(y)
Eager to see your next update!

Thank you ! I'm still fine-tuning the chestbox right now. I'll print it with ABS filament because I'm too scared the parts would bend if I go for a walk outside in the summer in a convention I don't know, PLA would be terrible for that.

But I still have a lot of time to do it because the seamstress is booked until october/november, in the meantime I'll lose weight to fit in the space suit haha x)

You could always line the chest box with fiberglass to make it sturdy (one coat of resin and one layer of glass fiber).;)

Looking good. (y) Is it sturdy enough or you'll have to either use fiberglass or Rondo (Bondo + Epoxy and do a type of slush pass inside the box)?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back