Limited Run 1979 ALIEN - USCSS NOSTROMO - PATCH REPLICA

NostromoCrew

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 10.28.39 PM.png

Untitled 13.jpg

Intro
...So as part of my 1979 ALIEN - NOSTROMO CREW UNIFORM - Accurate Reproduction project run, I decided to try my hand at replicating the crew shoulder patch. And as anyone who is involved enough in the intricacies of this patch, knows that many have tried, some have come close. I have spent the past few months obsessing over every detail of these costumes and decided that if I was going to try and replicate the shoulder patch, it had to be very, (very) accurate. Getting close was just not going to cut it in this case, so it was pretty much all or nothing.

If I wasn't 99.95% happy with the result, I would not have moved forward with this. All of the details of this patch had to come together. The design, colors, fonts, proportions, design features and even some "imperfections" that were a signature of the way patches were made back in the day.

A few photos of original production made patches:
Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 2.03.34 AM.png

PropStore Auction.jpg
Auctioned2.jpg

REPRODUCTION

Shape
The correct 'half oval’ in accordance with the original. Meaning that the extreme left and right borders of the patch are not straight. They are bent in a slight oval shape.
Demo curve  - Right.png
Demo curve - wrong.jpg

Exaggerated for illustrative purposes.

Variants
Light background - Faded Grey/Blue
Dark background - Very dark navy blue

Color Pallet
Here I owe a huge thank you to my buddy IkeOffworld for taking the time to analyze all of the photos of the verified original patches we have, all of which were taken at different times, under different lighting conditions, using different cameras, with verifying resolution… he took all of that info and managed to come up with a pretty impressively close color pallet for these patches.

Color Pallet.png

Stitch Direction and Style
Extreme attention was given to mimicking the stitch direction of the original. This was crazy hard and took literally weeks of revisions, going through different manufacturers until I landed one that had the right machinery that could deliver the right detail.
Stitch directions.png

Thickness/Backing - The originals were fairly thin, cloth like. I opted to have mine made as sew-on with no extra backing. The Iron-on layer thickens the patch and makes it too rigid in my opinion.

backside .jpg
backing new.jpg

Overall patch size - 10.5cm X 7.5cm or 4.13” X 3”

Photos of the final product:
IMG_9732.jpg
Nostromo Shoulder Patch - Dark 2.jpg
display1.jpg

Additional Photos of Production made Patches:

Kane Jacket  - L.jpg

Ash Shirt.png
Lambert T Shirt.jpg
dallas jacket prototype 2.jpg

Parker Jacket patch zoom.png
Parker Proto Jacket.png

These patches will be a part of my larger project run and are also available for purchase as of right now on my website:
Thank you!

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 10.31.26 PM.png

Attachments

• Nostromo Shoulder patch - Grey.png
    Nostromo Shoulder patch - Grey.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 244
  • Nostromo Shoulder patch Dark on grid.png
    Nostromo Shoulder patch Dark on grid.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 303
  • PropStore Auction.jpg
    PropStore Auction.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
I have been tempted over the last 30+ years to buy one of several different Nostromo patches that have been available by several different makers, but I have never found one that was close enough to the original to spend my money on.
Until now.
I just placed on order for one of your amazing patches.
Thanks for making them and taking the time to make them perfect!

I have been tempted over the last 30+ years to buy one of several different Nostromo patches that have been available by several different makers, but I have never found one that was close enough to the original to spend my money on.
Until now.
I just placed on order for one of your amazing patches.
Thanks for making them and taking the time to make them perfect!
Thank you starbuc !

I know what you mean, there are plenty of mediocre patches and a few that are pretty good, but not one that encompasses all of those correct elements together in one patch...frustrated me too... BTW this run nearly didn't happen at all since after the third printer I approached produced very poor results, I was ready to give up. Thinking that maybe the way they made these back in 1978 is gone from the world. Because thinking about it, every embroidery printer/manufacturer nowadays is digital. Nathan and Berman's made these in 1978 PRE-COMPUTERS, All analog.
Pretty awesome.

Thanks for allowing me to be part of such an awesome project! I'm really proud of how the patches came out! The hours we poured into every minute detail really made for some crazy good patches. Exciting times for us Alien fans!

... 3 options to choose from, Gold/Silver/Blue.
Those blue wings are reeel preeety!

Sorry for the tangent, but any chance of red thread wings on black? I suspect only one person would be interested [me! :D ]
Wings are seen on Dallas & Ash's green surgical gowns (med bay scene).

Pic added for scale

Attachments

• crew-insignia-2.jpg
    crew-insignia-2.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 236
Those blue wings are reeel preeety!

Sorry for the tangent, but any chance of red thread wings on black? I suspect only one person would be interested [me! :D ]
Wings are seen on Dallas & Ash's green surgical gowns (med bay scene).

Pic added for scale
Hmm let me see if I can work something out for you on that. I'm not sure if a run of those are in order, depending on how much interest there might be in those..

Hey guys, it came to our attention that the blue on our dark patches is a tint too light, BUT do not fret! I figured out the perfect solution when I remembered a trick for darkening car upholstery stitching using Sharpie markers. What you want to do is use a blue sharpie marker, and just gently touch it to the embroidery. The ink will seep in quickly and perform an instant dye job. Work slowly to get an even dye. Here are my results with our patches. I can hardly tell them apart from auction photos.

Attachments

• PXL_20210902_163433699.jpg
    PXL_20210902_163433699.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 288
Hey guys, it came to our attention that the blue on our dark patches is a tint too light, BUT do not fret! I figured out the perfect solution when I remembered a trick for darkening car upholstery stitching using Sharpie markers. What you want to do is use a blue sharpie marker, and just gently touch it to the embroidery. The ink will seep in quickly and perform an instant dye job. Work slowly to get an even dye. Here are my results with our patches. I can hardly tell them apart from auction photos.
I was just looking at my various Nostromo patches, primarily comparing this patch & the ones from Indy Magnoli.

I'm glad to see that the color was noticed, and there is some sort of solution.
I'll get a pen this week and post a photo once I do.

Question: Will the next run of patches have the correct color?

I was just looking at my various Nostromo patches, primarily comparing this patch & the ones from Indy Magnoli.

I'm glad to see that the color was noticed, and there is some sort of solution.
I'll get a pen this week and post a photo once I do.

Question: Will the next run of patches have the correct color?
Yes

Just want to say thank for my patches. Very cool item and was excited to get some time and sew them onto a couple items.

I’ll probably re-do the hat patch. Also still haven’t decided what to put the light background patch on. Please excuse my horrible hand stitching. Anyways, onto the pictures :)

F14C5D1F-F88A-4DBC-AC0C-E4ABEEF8C6F2.jpeg
E6C4BD60-DDF4-4FE2-BAE9-D8B7C7CCDA80.jpeg
01771642-86D0-4C02-8103-EE62B9AB0625.jpeg

Thank you very much once more. Great patches and highly recommended.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back