11th Doctor's Sonic: "Fatally Flawed" Design? Discuss...

Jack T Chance

Sr Member
This is a topic that I mentioned briefly on the QMx Sonic thread, but I'm spinning it off into its own thread so as not to derail that thread with discussion of things other than QMx's actual products.

As some of you are no doubt aware, there are a few people here and there on the interwebz that have been lucky enough to get a very rare opportunity to handle, inspect, and in some cases measure some of the filming props from Doctor Who, including the 11th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver. And what they have told us, in regards to the 11th Doctor's Sonic, is this...

Over time, possibly a relatively short period of time, flicking the 11th Doctor's Sonic open (as we see Matt Smith doing ALL THE TIME in the show) can produce enough of a shearing force that it can fracture the acrylic in the prop, and can also break the prop's internal metal guide tube. One individual that handled it even expressed the opinion that the design is fatally flawed. Teisco has confirmed this for us...
I was allowed to examine the 11th sonic at the past Dragoncon. A sonic built by Nick himself and it was, indeed, broken by the second day of the con due to people flicking it open and closed.
And we also have seen additional info on this subject from both Asp9mm...
There is a reason they have five of these props and they are all battered about with spares clearly seen in the storage box. They keep on breaking. The very fact that QMx in their sales blurb mention the way it must be handled speaks volumes about its delicate nature. Remember it is a prop. Even the 9/10th Docs prop kept breaking and was repaired umpteen times.

I don't know why people are up in arms about this. Most props are delicate in nature and are not supposed to be used as toys.
...and also VortexRunner...
In interviews such as at the past Comicon, Nick has been asked what he does and it seems from his answers it is mainly the maintenance of the props and of the screwdrivers he made. One of the reasons I avoided buying the QMX release was the fact that the real prop is quite outspokenly fragile. When you have a prop like this screwdriver, the number of components which makes up what you see on screen is so tedious and each part almost hand produced by Nick, you have got to wonder how it is assured of staying in one piece and functioning how it is meant to. I suppose the formula or designs for this sonic would read like the assembly instructions of an engine - everything has to be precise and almost trial and error and hope :lol that it doesn't all fall apart.

I wouldn't say it is fatally flawed, but given the fact that Nick had a week to make these would add to this idea. Flawed now, but given time and good research and testing I think refining the props would weed out any major flaws.
I had originally quoted the source that stated the opinion that the design is fatally flawed, but I have now been informed that I was wrong to do so, therefore the quote was removed and I am editing my posts to reference different sources.

...quote from banned member's blog removed...

So, first things first: This is absolutely NOT a topic that's being created for the purpose of encouraging people to buy unlicensed prop replicas. It is also NOT being created to discourage them from doing so. Nor is it being created to condemn anyone for their personal choices in either regard. In fact, I am hereby FORBIDDING such discussions in this topic, as that's NOT what this thread is about.

This thread is here SOLELY for the purpose of discussing the perceived flaw in the design of the hero props used in the filming of the TV series, and the difficulties of making an accurate replica, which can be "played with" in the way that fans will want to, that arise from that perceived flaw. And I would thank everyone that participates in this topic for staying on topic. ;)

So... that's it, really. 11's Sonic: Fatally flawed design? Discuss.

Last edited:
I can see why this prop is known to 'break' often. Remember, it is just a 'prop' - so the actual engineering that went into it was not intended to be a fully functional, wear n tear tested practical accesory. It does it's job on-screen and is replaced when it breaks - just like all other props.
I'ts just a pipe dream, but I would love to see behind the scenes footage of this prop being used and repaired.

Without seeing the internals of the prop, it's difficult to say whether the design has some engineering flaw. It certainly makes me wonder about the four thousand dollar pieces Qmx is selling, and how many seriously agitated customers they will have if those pieces start breaking after some handling...

Sean

Ok lets clear this topic up. This "Fatally Flawed design" is a lie period. A grub screw came lose in those photos and that was it, nothing else. If you would would like to belive that the props are a wreck then please do so but do not throw around those rumors publicly with no proof whatsoever.

Please apply common sense, you have professionals working on a prop that has been in use in almost every episode in many scenes. The production team would not tolerate a prop that held up production by falling apart on a regular basis. :facepalm

The screen used props do not fall apart contently.

Pretty arrogant of you offer to 'clear this topic up' considering that some people have examined the prop and are in a lot better position to comment than you are.

I don't think anyone ever said the prop 'falls apart in your hands'. Merely long term durability when flicking it open forcefully was questioned and validly. Saying that the SDCC replica was 'rock solid' is hardly proof. Were you there? I know people who were there who tell me that the sonic broke several times. Having the prop in the possession of the guy who made it, with a box of spare parts and tools, in case it does break, is hardly a fair test of durability because it is in his interest to make sure the prop is in tip top condition between handlings. Out of curiousity, what qualifies you to be some kind of authority in these props? Personally I'll take the word of a guy who has documented these props over another yet another internet 'expert'.

I have no "inside" information at all about the prop. What I do have is access to all the postings that Phez has made about anything & everything. You, sir, deserve anything & everything that is ever been typed about you.

Nothing more to contribute except for my "expert" opinion on what it means to be a Know-it-all idiot with a inflated idea of self-worth.

My credentials that make me an expert on the subject ?

I can read.

I was allowed to examine the 11th sonic at the past Dragoncon. A sonic built by Nick himself and it was, indeed, broken by the second day of the con due to people flicking it open and closed.

1st hand account from an eyewitness.

Sure you must have been hallucinating? It was a Nick Robatto sonic and therefore is indestructible. :rolleyes

1st hand account from an eyewitness.

Sure you must have been hallucinating? It was a Nick Robatto sonic and therefore is indestructible. :rolleyes

Wait for it...

Someone is about to-

1. Fold their arms

2. Close their eyes

3. Furiously shake their head

4. Repeat, "UH-UHH" until they get their way

Won't be long now.

Intersting that there has been a lot of editing on this thread. If people spout off infowhy not back it up or at least apologise if they have something wrong. Luckily you can read some of the edits in other peoples posts or via the profile of said member!

question: when did the sonic screwdriver replace stormtrooper armor as the prop that launched a thousand inflammatory threads??

Is it the prop itself, or just the people involved?? It's always the same people in these threads, and they always go berzerk. Kinda weird.

There is a reason they have five of these props and they are all battered about with spares clearly seen in the storage box. They keep on breaking. The very fact that QMx in their sales blurb mention the way it must be handled speaks volumes about its delicate nature. Remember it is a prop. Even the 9/10th Docs prop kept breaking and was repaired umpteen times.

I don't know why people are up in arms about this. Most props are delicate in nature and are not supposed to be used as toys.

question: when did the sonic screwdriver replace stormtrooper armor as the prop that launched a thousand inflammatory threads??

Is it the prop itself, or just the people involved?? It's always the same people in these threads, and they always go berzerk. Kinda weird.

To answer your question Matt I think it's when certain unqualified persons start offering to 'clear up a topic' or dismiss the findings of a former member here who has consistently backed up his claims with facts and with proof because of a personal grudge. Because of this it's less about the prop and more about certain members/former member not liking each other.

I believe that it's mostly the knee-jerk reactions of Phez to doubt or accuse the statements of others to be lies. Lets be honest, if I say something & you don't believe it, you are calling me a liar. Many here seem to have a thin skin when it comes to being cursed at, or being called out when they have no evidence, & I have to admit that I wouldn't like it, but as a man, I can stand that a lot more than being called a liar.

Time after time, proof is offered & backed up by members in good standing & by banned members, but the prevailing idea here is- If we keep saying the same thing, even in the face of opposing evidence, it will eventually become true.

BULL...

I particularly LOVE the fact that Phez says if he stops & apparently deletes all his opinions, the thread will go away...

well, Phez...the thread hasn't, but evidently YOU have.

In interviews such as at the past Comicon, Nick has been asked what he does and it seems from his answers it is mainly the maintenance of the props and of the screwdrivers he made. One of the reasons I avoided buying the QMX release was the fact that the real prop is quite outspokenly fragile. When you have a prop like this screwdriver, the number of components which makes up what you see on screen is so tedious and each part almost hand produced by Nick, you have got to wonder how it is assured of staying in one piece and functioning how it is meant to. I suppose the formula or designs for this sonic would read like the assembly instructions of an engine - everything has to be precise and almost trial and error and hope :lol that it doesn't all fall apart.

I wouldn't say it is fatally flawed, but given the fact that Nick had a week to make these would add to this idea. Flawed now, but given time and good research and testing I think refining the props would weed out any major flaws.

I dont know what it is about these sonics that gets folks all fired up! Or more likely its the latter. Egos are huge and no one likes to be wrong. Its human nature to want defend your argument even when you've been proven wrong.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back