11th Doctor's Sonic: "Fatally Flawed" Design? Discuss...

Getting back to the prop itself...

Has anyone ever said if the screwdriver was designed to do what Smith does with it? I know when a new Doctor is cast, he's given a fair amount of room to make his character unique. I've sometimes wondered if the prop wasn't presented to Smith, with a "Here you go mate. See what you can do with it."

It is truly a dramatic way to show the screwdriver in action, but maybe it wasn't designed to be used that...harshly. With Smith being the "talent", maybe no one has said, "Can you maybe not do that ?".

I have a wonderfully designed & built Eccleston sonic, & I have to admit, if I were to repeatedly extend it by flicking it out like Smith does his, it probably would not last too long.

Just wondering if anyone had any idea on who said "This is how it's used."

...quote from banned member's blog removed...
*SIGH!*

Fine, no quote, I'll just PARAPHRASE the info that was given IN MY OWN WORDS... info that has now been confirmed by people that handled one of Nick Robatto's props at Dragon*Con (as you can see below)...

Over time, possibly a relatively short period of time, flicking the 11th Doctor's Sonic open (as we see Matt Smith doing ALL THE TIME in the show) can produce enough of a shearing force that it can fracture the acrylic in the prop, and can also break the prop's internal metal guide tube. Teisco has confirmed this for us...
I was allowed to examine the 11th sonic at the past Dragoncon. A sonic built by Nick himself and it was, indeed, broken by the second day of the con due to people flicking it open and closed.
People complained about the way Character Options redesigns these props for their toy replicas, often getting the dimensions wrong in turning it into a toy that can be played with and has built-in light and sound, but as I haven't heard anyone complaining about their CO 11th Doctor Sonic breaking like this, I'd say they've obviously come up with an engineering solution that solves the problem for their toy replica. It may be as simple as the materials used; the plastics they use on the toy may simply be better suited to handling the stress of being flicked open repeatedly. All of which reminds me that I really need to get around to buying one of those! :cool
There is a reason they have five of these props and they are all battered about with spares clearly seen in the storage box. They keep on breaking. The very fact that QMx in their sales blurb mention the way it must be handled speaks volumes about its delicate nature. Remember it is a prop. Even the 9/10th Docs prop kept breaking and was repaired umpteen times.

I don't know why people are up in arms about this. Most props are delicate in nature and are not supposed to be used as toys.
They're up in arms because of the SOURCE of the first independent confirmation of this flaw (at least the first confirmation that I'm aware of,) that's what it boils down to. :unsure

To use an analogy appropriate to myself... it would be like me coming into a thread about some big, huge movie news, and flaming and spewing venom solely because the info came from Harry Knowles and his site Ain't It Cool News. I HATE that site... no, hate isn't strong enough of a word... I LOATHE it! One of my earliest BAD internet experiences was being a member of the Talkback Forum there, and I'll never forget it. Not only that, but there were some fairly noteworthy people that ran other famous movie news sites, that had there fair share of issues with Knowles and his site, with the way he does things and the way he treats people. I make it a point to avoid his site like the Black Plague... but if he gets a genuine scoop and if it's legitimate news, I'm not gonna come into a topic about it and flame the topic just because the news came from him.

The same applies here for all who post in this thread.
In fact, I specifically stated that this thread was NOT to be about that. If people start using this thread for the wrong purpose, i.e. derailing the topic at hand to rant about the source of the info that started this discussion, I WILL be reporting those posts to the mods. So stay on topic. This thread is NOT about the individual that posted said info. Do NOT make this a discussion about him!
no-no-no.gif

This topic is to be about discussing THE PROP ITSELF. Period. You have all been warned.

Now, back ON topic...
In interviews such as at the past Comicon, Nick has been asked what he does and it seems from his answers it is mainly the maintenance of the props and of the screwdrivers he made. One of the reasons I avoided buying the QMX release was the fact that the real prop is quite outspokenly fragile. When you have a prop like this screwdriver, the number of components which makes up what you see on screen is so tedious and each part almost hand produced by Nick, you have got to wonder how it is assured of staying in one piece and functioning how it is meant to. I suppose the formula or designs for this sonic would read like the assembly instructions of an engine - everything has to be precise and almost trial and error and hope :lol that it doesn't all fall apart.

I wouldn't say it is fatally flawed, but given the fact that Nick had a week to make these would add to this idea. Flawed now, but given time and good research and testing I think refining the props would weed out any major flaws.
I'm glad you brought that up. From QMx's info on their Artisan Master Series 11th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver:
  • Is made entirely by hand by Mr. Robatto himself. None of the parts is machined or CNC'd; it is constructed exactly like the screen-used hero prop.
  • Consists of 148 components, most of them made of aluminum, copper, brass, resin and leather.
  • Takes two weeks to assemble.
  • Contains no found objects, with the exception of screws and electronic components.
  • Measure 8.5 inches in the closed position; 9.5 inches in the extended position.
I knew it was complex, but I had no idea it took 148 parts to make one! Holy shnikes! No wonder it takes 2 weeks to assemble! He has to put all those small parts together by hand! And here I thought the previous model of Sonic Screwdriver was complex! :eek

I do find it curious, though, their claim of "contains no found objects" (except for screws and electronic components,) as I'm fairly certain that various people all over the interwebz were pretty confident that the ivory piece in the handle WAS a found object and that they had identified what it most likely is.

Last edited:
I can somehow see this thread getting locked at some point if things get out of hand.
Though I will agree with Matt, the topic of Sonics seems to virtually rival the intensity of Trooper armor.
Part of this, I believe, is because there is SO much love for these props. It's almost like talking about religion or politics - people are going to get argumentive at some point.

But sticking to the topic at hand, I believe sufficient examples of the 11th sonics fragility has been presented and I for one concur that it is a fragile prop (but few movie props are built tough anyway, so no surprise there) so the question is - how do you improve the design of the prop to not simply function as a PROP but function as a TOY (meaning it is designed to take some use and abuse without fail).?

The only thing I know of that is designed to be flicked in this manner is a metal telescopic baton. I'm no expert but even I can see that flicking something like this open when the main bit in the middle taking the brunt of this force is hollow acrylic is a recipe for bad news.

The only thing I know of that is designed to be flicked in this manner is a metal telescopic baton. I'm no expert but even I can see that flicking something like this open when the main bit in the middle taking the brunt of this force is hollow acrylic is a recipe for bad news.

Was it originally designed to be flicked open though? Or was it something Smith incorporated into his use of the prop? He handled the old sonic very differently by pulling the emitter out of the body and not using the slider. Plus his viewing of both the old and new sonic as if there is an information screen on the tube is his own take on how it should be used.

Was it originally designed to be flicked open though? Or was it something Smith incorporated into his use of the prop? He handled the old sonic very differently by pulling the emitter out of the body and not using the slider. Plus his viewing of both the old and new sonic as if there is an information screen on the tube is his own take on how it should be used.

That sounds reasonable. Looking at the knurling on the prop, I don't think it's entirely decorative and might have been a clue to how it should have been used.

That's what I was asking, was the problem in the design or in Smith's use of the prop ? I remember an early clip of Smith on the Johnathan Ross show before the 1st episode premiered. He was flipping it & flicking it out saying "It does this & that & you read it like this..." & so on. Was he handed that prop with instructions or told that whatever he felt comfortable with was OK? Anyone know for sure?

I also have to apologize to the OP for letting my temper get the best of me. I Jumped on the one I was fed up with for trying to derail the thread, & I contributed to doing just that.

Sorry Jack.

I think any actor filling the role of such a character would just naturally add it to his act when he got the screwdriver. I doubt he was given any instructions on what each part did other than the obvious button activation...

Makes you kind of wonder if they could just make a "stunt" version on the show that is specifically used for flicking open. Is it my understanding that there are only the "hero" versions used on the show.

Great point about the knurling! I wonder as well if the activation was initially intended to be manual and not a flick! Maybe Nick can chime in on that. Its always interesting how something is intended to be used and actually....but maybe it was always intended to flick too.

I would be interested in knowing!

This theory is quite possible. There is actually a button on the bottom of the sonic because they expected Matt to wield it more like one might hold a flash light...thumb on the bottom center gripped (there's a photo somewhere of Beth Willis holding it this way. I'll keep looking for it) but Matt decided he was into holding it that way so a button had to be added to the side for him to use. Nick actually told me this himself at SDCC.

This theory is quite possible. There is actually a button on the bottom of the sonic because they expected Matt to wield it more like one might hold a flash light...thumb on the bottom center gripped (there's a photo somewhere of Beth Willis holding it this way. I'll keep looking for it) but Matt decided he was into holding it that way so a button had to be added to the side for him to use. Nick actually told me this himself at SDCC.

Wow! Good info - I never knew that.

snip... Saying that the SDCC replica was 'rock solid' is hardly proof. Were you there? I know people who were there who tell me that the sonic broke several times. ... snip

I was there in the qmx booth with Nick almost every hour of the show. I never saw it break once. Maybe it did in one of the maybe 6 hours I wasn't in the booth, and maybe he fixed it, but I don't think it broke several times and I don't think you know people who actually saw it break . Certainly, no several times. There weren't even people that came back that often. A few did, but not many, and it certainly wasn't breaking each time they came back. They may say they did, but I was there, and I'll say it didn't happen.

I was there in the qmx booth with Nick almost every hour of the show. I never saw it break once. Maybe it did in one of the maybe 6 hours I wasn't in the booth, and maybe he fixed it, but I don't think it broke several times and I don't think you know people who actually saw it break . Certainly, no several times. There weren't even people that came back that often. A few did, but not many, and it certainly wasn't breaking each time they came back. They may say they did, but I was there, and I'll say it didn't happen.

So you were there by his side constantly, on every occasion that he handed the prop out for demo except for 6 hours? I hate to rain on your bromance but I really don't buy that.

The other thing I am objecting to is you calling me a liar. Sorry Phil, but that's out of line. I do know people who attended SDCC 2011 and I do believe them when they said they saw it break.

On a related note here's Matt telling everyone how he breaks one sonic per day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XekbsWqrrDs

Last edited:
So you were there by his side constantly, on every occasion that he handed the prop out for demo except for 6 hours? I hate to rain on your bromance but I really don't buy that.

The other thing I am objecting to is you calling me a liar. Sorry Phil, but that's out of line. I do know people who attended SDCC 2011 and I do believe them when they said they saw it break.

On a related note here's Matt telling everyone how he breaks one sonic per day:

Matt Smith breaks at least one sonic screwdriver a day - Comic-Con Doctor Who Panel 2011 - YouTube

I haven't called you a liar. I have only said people (meaning more than 2) did not see the sonic break several (meaning more than twice) times. People may very well have told you they saw it break several times. I don't believe those people did see this.

I have no idea if you were or were not told this story by people so, not only would I be unable to call you a liar, it wouldn't ever be something I'd do.

I was there as I built the TARDIS that was on the end of the booth and I was engaged to baby sit it. This is exactly where Nick was with his Sonics, in the end display cabinet. Many times, I personally showed the Sonics when Nick was away. I was there much more than Nick as well.

I'd suggest that since you weren't there, you might consider that you really don't know anything that happened there. You only have heresay and you should temper your comments based on that fact.

Philip,
Let me say this! If I had access to the prop, unattended...

Let's just say, I would have an 11th Doctor's sonic in my pocket while I was in my shop building a second TARDIS! :lol

Okay, not really, but it would have been tempting!

Philip,
Let me say this! If I had access to the prop, unattended...

Let's just say, I would have an 11th Doctor's sonic in my pocket while I was in my shop building a second TARDIS! :lol

Okay, not really, but it would have been tempting!

Right?!?!

Betcha my calipers would have gotten a work out though. :love

Given the concern over my initial source for the info that inspired this thread, I have now edited my first post. I hope that in some way this relieves some of the Mods' concerns over this thread. :unsure

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back