1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

That's a really good way of looking at it, you know. I'm definitely learning a lot right now. This does wonders for your ability to think in 3d and parts fit/engineering terms.

I did get my outboard module into production eventually, and I have two power centre units coming too; in fact I have three orders in production right now, the wait is murder, I'm gagging to see these bits. Unfortunately, as is always the way, I've found some problems - there were sections I'd meant to Boolean out of existence which made it into my uploads, but worse...I've been wrestling with the height of the 'railings' on top and bottom of these modules. I've tried to convince myself they were built as drawn...but look at this pic.

1-700-1-350-scale-bh-cygnus-pdvd_155.jpg-93920d1336571532

They weren't, were they? Somewhere between a third and a half as tall, in reality.

Oh well, consoling myself with more fuel module bits, these tanks are up next.

1-700-1-350-scale-bh-cygnus-v4-0068.jpg-93921d1336571532

...admittedly that pic is a bit squashed, I think...it's not as bad as half...if the pic needs vertical stretching by about 7.3% (judging from the pipe junction sphere) then the railings are about....uhhhh...

...two scale feet out. Or 2mm in my scale. Thus:

Last edited:
Waiting for the parts to arrive is like when I was a kid waiting for Christmas! Santa's coming today -- power center modules are supposed to be here this afternoon!

Hmmm -- I trust you when you say the difference is there. If it is a difference of 2mm at your scale, it's 1mm at mine. I can see it in direct comparison between your renders, but I'm already so out of scale in my cross section dimensions I don't think it really affects me that much. I don't think I'll start over -- I think I'll just stick to the blueprint dimensions...

Yay! The power modules arrived! They look really good, even if the racks are a millimeter too high. ;-)

Also received my revised observatory dome. The first version was rejected because the walls were too thin at 1mm. I revised it to 1.5mm, and they produced it. However, I think I may need to up it to 2mm. It has some weird artifacts along one side.

I'll try and have pics tomorrow...

Awesome. Cannot wait to see! I'd agree that a 1mm difference won't be very perceptible. Crap, I'm the only person who's going to notice even 2mm, I'm sure. :lol

Shame about the dome. I've been trying to get away with thin domes too, so am not very optimistic right now regarding those.

Here are pics of the parts that arrived yesterday. You can definitely see stair-stepping on the bottom of the power module. The artifacts on the observatory dome are facing away from the camera so you can't see them. I will try a thicker version to see if that corrects the problem. Otherwise, I'm really happy with how they came out!

I've made some paper mockups of the substructures these parts fit on. Hopefully you can see how I'm planning to put all this together. Next parts on order span the center section between the outboard modules on top. They should really make things start to take shape.

As always, feel free to make any comments or critiques!

Seeing those pieces on the paper mock-up...this is going to be even cooler than I thought! I'm totally jealous!! Nice work! :cool

Jaw-dropping work, Dave, seriously. Wow.

daverep, don't be jealous...you can buy Dave's pieces on Shapeways and start a model yourself! :lol

They're actually really inexpensive, relatively speaking at least - great value for money IMO!

By comparison, my parts, um, ain't. They're costing four or five times as much due to the volumetric pricing. If Shapeways didn't give a discount on volume above 20cm3, I'd be completely sunk.

Dave, an order which should have shipped yesterday is still in production. What does it meaaaaannn?!? Jonesing for a fix here! :lol

daverep, don't be jealous...you can buy Dave's pieces on Shapeways and start a model yourself! :lol

Really? I've been meaning to take a look at the Shapeways site but simply haven't. However... :lol

Thanks for the info! Will have to do that when I get a few minutes here at work. Thanks!! Keep up the work guys!

daverep - when Martyn says "relatively inexpensive," what he means is it might talley up to less than a grand. ;-)

Seriously though, I hope it won't go that high, but it seems that it will easily go over $500. Stay tuned and I will be able to give a more exact price as more pieces get finished.

And thanks for the compliments! I keep being amazed by how this is progressing.

Martyn: I've had orders remain "in production" until the supposed ship date, then overnighted to make the deadline. It's a bit frustrating, because most of the time they're really good about keeping you updated, but then they're not. And you have no way of knowing. I think if you made it this far you're probably okay. Fingers crossed!

daverep - when Martyn says "relatively inexpensive," what he means is it might talley up to less than a grand. ;-)

Seriously though, I hope it won't go that high, but it seems that it will easily go over $500. Stay tuned and I will be able to give a more exact price as more pieces get finished.

Too funny! How would that work...buy the pieces as a whole or purchase piece by piece? Very cool site...I have a project I want to work on and am trying to decide to go this way or do something more traditional. If I go this way, I'm going to have to force myself to learn Blender. I've used Lightwave years ago here at work, but it's been so long ago...

Thanks for the info! If you/they offer piece by piece, might be easier on the wallet! :lol

Yes, the parts can be purchased individually. You can purchase only what you need/want, and do so over a period of time. The only factor that will affect the price is how many orders you make -- they charge a set rate for shipping each order. So more parts in a box means less postage.

There is also a flat handling fee per part, IINM. But it's small.

Yeah, 1/700 is a much less costly and more sensible way to go. I normally couldn't consider a build as expensive as the 1/350 one is shaping up to be, but something came up and it's my grail of grails and the hell with it! :lol I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 1/700 comes in at well under a grand, which isn't too shocking for 40 inches of impossibly intricate model.

By contrast, the parts I've uploaded so far would already come in at over $1200 if I ordered a full set, and I'm probably still less than 50% done.

It will be one bloody big model though. Over 22 inches wide and 6.5' long. :)

And just where are you goin to put this??? Next to the 5 ft falcon, below the 42 inch blokade runner, next to the dalek behind the 3 cars I presume? Or was that next to the Horus mask, alongside the shelves, in the corner behind the 3 cars next to the bench?

Yes, Simon, I know that there are an awful lot of things I don't finish. I feel bad about it. I do not really particularly need anyone else helping me to feel bad about it. Thanks for understanding.

Oh. Sorry. I may be slightly tired and emotional right now.

Yeah, pondering that myself. It's going to get the mahogany display case treatment, in fact I'm gonna give it the full builder's model treatment, make it a mock artifact from the movie's world. So...even *bigger*. Way too big for anywhere at my place, in fact.

I'll accept reasonable bids. :lol

When you have a model at this stage it feels like you're throwing away days and days and all you have to show is a bundle of matchsticks. Look at this...three day's work. I suck SO HARD at this; I couldn't be slower if I was doing it on purpose. :lol

1-700-1-350-scale-bh-cygnus-v4-0081.jpg-94491d1337009238

And my Fuel Module B just got rejected by Shapeways again, bah humbug. It's an education, as Dave said. Oh well, plodding along, it's going to get done.

Dave - that area we were pondering - it's mesh again mate, I reckon. The corners of the 'square', that is. During the flyover you can see a difference - the stars visible through the observatory "tunnel" are unobstructed, but the ones you see through the corner of the square base - they look like there's mesh in there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back