1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Thanks guys -- I appreciate it!

It's funny, as cool as all the other sections of the ship have been coming out, when I finally put all the bow pieces together I suddenly saw the spaceship. I guess the rest on its own tends to look a little like a bridge or an electrical tower or something. Receiving the starboard side just snapped it all into focus. If that makes any sense...

I should be getting the next batch of parts soon...can't wait to start figuring out how this goes together. Dave, don't forget to post the lightbox configuration(s) at some point...

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Let's see if this works. I've attached 4 PDF files, each of which is a different part of the armature. Two of the files were used to cut pieces from 1/8" acrylic to create the center span and stern armatures. They are kind of complicated, but they've worked really well for me. I will take pics detailing how they fit together. There is also a simplified drawing of the stern pieces and outlines for 1/32" pieces that will be needed to fill in remaining areas in the center span. If you wish to cut your own pieces instead of having them laser cut, you could modify most of the pieces by taking off or filling in between the tabs to get the dimensions. I think it would be fairly obvious, but I'll be happy to go over it with you. I haven't drawn up the bow pieces yet. There are holes for wiring and lighting included in the diagrams as well.

How the pieces fit together is really pretty obvious once you get the armature set up. You can refer to previous pics in the thread or ask if you have any questions. At some point I'll try to make a diagram and tip sheet.

Okay, here goes...

- - - Updated - - -

It worked! Oh, if anyone would prefer to have the files in Adobe Illustrator format, just let me know.

Attachments

• Center span-laser cut one-eigth acrylic sheet.pdf
    83.7 KB · Views: 341
  • Center span-one thirtysecond clear sheet.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 252
  • Stern pattern simplified.pdf
    73 KB · Views: 222
  • stern-laser cut one-eigth acrylic sheet.pdf
    81.5 KB · Views: 304
image.jpgimage.jpg

Testing with lights

Hey PrimativeDave,

I'm just in AWE of your build of the USS Cygnus! It's easily in my top 5 fav movie ships of all time! Look no further than my xbox gamer tag USS_CYGNUS_X1 (a mesh of the BH Cygnus and a reference to the song Cygnus X1 by Rush). To take on the task of building it from scratch has to be daunting. In fact, I can't think of another model that would pose more challenges than this. Kudos to you!

Looking forward to future updates and the final model! :):thumbsup

The crazy thing is, I'm not even a huge fan of the Cygnus or the film--but as a model kit this subject is just so amazing I can't not build it. :)

Thanks GalacticaFan -- yes, it's been a challenge. I'm not sure which blood vessel in my brain broke that caused me to think I could tackle this subject, but it's been a learning experience and I've enjoyed the journey overall. I can't believe I'm actually in sight of wrapping up all the 3D printed parts! Now a lot of painting and wiring still awaits.

Thanks for your patience Jeff -- I will have everything ready to go soon!

Wow!! That looks great i'am a huge fan of the Cygnus!:thumbsup
Or should I say ''The Black Hole'' Maximilian ,Vincent, Old Bob,Sentry, Cygnus.
Can't wait to see the end result.:)

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Beautiful. I have the old MPC kit which leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe I'll build it before I shuffle off in the next 30 or 40 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Stunning!!!

Hey, M this is truly astounding and has convinced me totally to invest in a 3D printer. If ever there was a definitive build thread to show what modelling skills can achieve in this medium, then this is it! How in God's name the original model maker ever built this by hand defies all logic and belief! Best build thread on the RPF at the moment, guys. Hope to see more soon!

Darren

Hey everyone -- a quick update. I've been having many, many problems with Shapeways recently. They are driving me crazy! They can't seem to print parts that they printed fine before. I've been getting some inquiries about purchasing the parts recently. I do have many parts available currently in my webstore there, but I advise you not to purchase anything until I get these issues sorted out. I will post again to give an all-clear.

I just found a place local that will do laser cutting for me... downloaded the plans you posted... and looking forward to the parts when you have the printing sorted out.

Honestly I always liked the black hole but never was really a "fan". the intricacy of this build is truly astounding... I gotta give it a try. Its a challenge to be sure - made "doable" by YOU.

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

Hey everyone -- a quick update. I've been having many, many problems with Shapeways recently. They are driving me crazy! They can't seem to print parts that they printed fine before. I've been getting some inquiries about purchasing the parts recently. I do have many parts available currently in my webstore there, but I advise you not to purchase anything until I get these issues sorted out. I will post again to give an all-clear.

Just the parts listed under your account at Shapeways so far (several are multiples) come to a whopping $600 so far! And in those parts posted I don't see any of the bow parts yet. I can't imagine how much this has cost you so far. Not to mention those clear acrylic sheet patterns.

This would make an excellent subscription based model when all parts are done and ready for printing. When you get all the parts worked out and and posted on shapeways, I may have to start getting them one part at a time.

Yeah, if I had known how much I would spend and how much time it would take me at the start, well, I'd never have started. ;-) I finally decided to think of it as my entertainment budget. I spend about what I'd spend on dinner and drinks out per part, and the results will be around a lot longer. You can definitely buy a bit at a time. That's the advantage of this method. FYI, I have made the meshes available for download so you can try printing elsewhere. (At least I've meant to -- if you find any different, let me know and I'll correct it.) Oh, the bow is made up of 4 large, pricey pieces, another $200 or so. Thanks for the continuing interest in this project everyone!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back