1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

(pssst wake up - the Lunar Gans from the SF3D days is coming in styrene now, too! more things to spend your time on, man!)

The bow section is awesome Martyn! I'm still working on the stern, but will have to tackle the bow soon. Hopefully you can get all the kinks worked out for me first...

;-)

Jason, I know what you mean man. I keep looking at this bow core thing and picturing a whole bow, then the whole ship, then painting it, then lighting it up for the first time...I get kinda Pavlovian. :lol Musta been like that for you with the blimp, right? Or the Luna Diver?

But, dammit noooo, not a styrene Gans...I've already got two of the MoKa ones....why oh why must SF3D be exempt from my 'no kit collecting for the sake of kit collecting' rule?!? :lol

Thanks Dave! It's gonna be great seeing that stern take shape. On the bow I'm sure I'll have some pointers for you. One is that including the Palomino landing pad as part of the print (as I did *accidentally* here) is a good idea - it warps otherwise. Once I'm done I'll share my files, mate - least I can do.

I have some more parts on order, but they're overdue in shipping. They were supposed to ship on the 18th, but I still haven't heard anything. In the meantime, I thought I'd post some pics of how the stern is shaping up so far.

The part for the top of the tower didn't work out so well. It looks good at first glance, but it's just too fragile in Fine Ultra Detail. Some of the antennas had broken off before the part even got to me, and more bits of the structure have broken off since then. I tried to rework it for White Strong & Flexible, but it was rejected at production. I'll take another crack at it soon.

What a brilliant idea!!! Two builds of the the same ship in two scales, in the same thread! Now where could you guys have gotten an idea like that?:lol

All jesting aside, though, you are both doing an incredible job guys. Absolutely beautiful workmanship and GOD, I wish I could afford to get stuff printed out like that.......:unsure

I would 3D print a new nose cone for my Eagle build in a heartbeat!

Now that I have found this awesome thread, I shall subscribe, give it a five star rating, and dish out the rep points, as is only just and proper!

Keep up the great work Guys!

Darren

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek My coffee mug just slipped from my hands
and smashed into smithereens on the hard floor in slow motion.
I'm so ashamed to admit I never even popped in to take a peek as I
knew it would be impossible to build the lattice framework. Was I
wrong!!!! This work is fantastic to the max!!!! I can feel my head
getting ready to explode Scanners style.

The rear (semi-) assembled body looks great. Love that black/bronze finish.

On another topic (that I'm sure one of you will know) -- I'm unfamiliar with the original screen model. Wasn't it actually metal -- soldered or welded metal strips/bars? If so, how many peopled slaved over that thing and how long did it take to build?

Thanks again for all the compliments! And welcome to our new viewers! ;-) I'm glad you've joined us.

Atlanthia -- the cost isn't as high as you'd imagine. It's expensive, but you can do things in bits to fit your budget too. You don't have to buy a whole kit at once. I am actually thinking I might try an Eagle in 1/35 scale next. I've scanned through your Eagle build but I'll have to give it a closer look. The interiors are looking amazing, by the way.

crackerjazz -- I understand your skepticism. I am constantly amazed that I get the results I'm getting! ;-)

Metaluna mutant -- yes, the original models were made of brass and copper strip and tubing. You can actually see the verdigris weathering on the originals in some shots and pics. There were two models, one referred to as "top detailed" and one "bottom detailed." Plus some larger scale sections for inserts. I don't know how many modelers were working on them, but I do recall references to a years work. There were literally thousands of pieces that had to be soldered together. The layers of detail on the originals is breathtaking! I'm sure Martyn will have more information for you next time he chimes in.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments on the finish. I've just started adding another layer of washes to the parts, and I really like the look. I'm going to go back over the parts I've already painted as time allows.

Yes, Simon, my head hangs low out of shame. The idea was
fixed in my mind that the Cygnus is the impossible dream model
until I said what the heck and browsed the thread for the first
time last night. Dave and Martyn - your pioneering work will surely
go down in history.

I wonder if Shapeways is printing out the parts effortlessly -
or does the operator hurl off invectives whenever he receives the
Cygnus parts printing requests that made it through. But no matter
-- this thread has given me nothing but hope. If Shapeways can print
stuff as complex as those, then truly, nothing is impossible.

Wow, Dave. Those pipes took some nutting out but it was worth it, eh? :)

I love your paint finish too, really tasty. Still can't believe you got those smallest antennas to print, lol.

Can't wait to get back on this myself, I've been tied up for a week or two on the engines for Simon and Paul's Narcissus. It's been time well spent though, I've upskilled myself a lot on the software. Still, really want to commit the sides and top/bottom of my bow to print.

Thanks from me too for the kind words, all!

I just had a quick run through this thread and it's amazing :eek:eek
Just to clarify, you're doing the design work on a pc, sending those files to a 3d print company and they send you the components we're seeing.
It must be costing you a arm and a leg.

That's correct. Price-wise, as Dave says, it's not *that* bad if you spread it out. What's killing me are the re-dos. Seems I can't do something once, right, when doing it five times wrong is so much more fun. :rolleyes

Certainly, though, the eventual cost will be enough that I'm keeping a sharp eye on the specs and prices of new home 3D printers. If there was something on the market that could do one of my side modules or a major stern or bow piece, for under $2K, I'd be considering buying now.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back