1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

I determined the correct position relative to each one within the bell so they would be evenly spaced apart, of course you know that part...sorry. I held them in place with tweezers and very lightly marked the glue points with that thin leaded pencil. then I scraped just enough paint off the bell for the legs, then put the tiniest dab of super glue on the base of the leg and stuck 'em. its tricky holding the little things in place while the glue sets :wacko Resin and 3D stuff tends not to stick with regular glue so well, it'll work but it'll pop off again just breathing on it :facepalm
Hi Ross,

What did you use to glue down the Engine deflectors and how far in did you position them relative to the ring edge?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I put them right at the rim like is shown in the pics of the 3D Falcon Parts illustration. I hope that's correct...should be, but it looks good to me
Hi Ross,

What did you use to glue down the Engine deflectors and how far in did you position them relative to the ring edge?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

ISD engbells4.jpegthis is the ones I made from scrap PE sheet but it shows the position

Thanks buddy!

Perfect description. I decided to put the diffusing acrylic in front of the opening. I tested it behind and in front and it seemed to spread the light out much more in front of the opening. I contacted TonyRR and he is making me up bezels/rings to cover the edges of the acrylic. I had him make it 1 mm thick by 15.2 mm OD and 13.8 mm ID. The rings will cover the edges but still show the gear/ridge detail. You cannot see the detail when the LEDs are off but you can see that detail when they are on. It looks really cool.

Here is a picture you can see some of the diffusing acrylic. The ring will cover the outside edge

20180227_075232smaller.jpg

I determined the correct position relative to each one within the bell so they would be evenly spaced apart, of course you know that part...sorry. I held them in place with tweezers and very lightly marked the glue points with that thin leaded pencil. then I scraped just enough paint off the bell for the legs, then put the tiniest dab of super glue on the base of the leg and stuck 'em. its tricky holding the little things in place while the glue sets :wacko Resin and 3D stuff tends not to stick with regular glue so well, it'll work but it'll pop off again just breathing on it :facepalm

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I put them right at the rim like is shown in the pics of the 3D Falcon Parts illustration. I hope that's correct...should be, but it looks good to me

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 799051this is the ones I made from scrap PE sheet but it shows the position

That Tony is one awesome dude isn't he? Sounds like a good idea. I just cut mine down so they would friction fit just below the opening, though I did trim the "gear' teeth back to let it go in, the teeth are still somewhat visible. I just did the sharpie on the smaller ones. :thumbsup
Thanks buddy!

Perfect description. I decided to put the diffusing acrylic in front of the opening. I tested it behind and in front and it seemed to spread the light out much more in front of the opening. I contacted TonyRR and he is making me up bezels/rings to cover the edges of the acrylic. I had him make it 1 mm thick by 15.2 mm OD and 13.8 mm ID. The rings will cover the edges but still show the gear/ridge detail. You cannot see the detail when the LEDs are off but you can see that detail when they are on. It looks really cool.

Here is a picture you can see some of the diffusing acrylic. The ring will cover the outside edge

View attachment 799064

Hi Ross, Yes he is great with this stuff.......Tony got back to me quick and started doing it once I gave him the dimensions.

Hangar Bay lightly highlighted with a pencil. Laser turrets installed and minor touchups completed. Ready for clear coat on Saturday. I have to hold off on gluing the deflectors to the bells because I need to get Tony's rings first. Much harder to install those rings with the deflectors in the way.

Not sure what to call it but on top of the Command Tower between the shield generators you installed the "X" standing up. Did you use the photo etched parts for the "X" to be installed standing up or something else? Do you have a photo on where you attached it?

So you colored the sides of LEDs on the 4 small ones

20180301_005307smaller.jpg 20180301_005317smaller.jpg

That Tony is one awesome dude isn't he? Sounds like a good idea. I just cut mine down so they would friction fit just below the opening, though I did trim the "gear' teeth back to let it go in, the teeth are still somewhat visible. I just did the sharpie on the smaller ones. :thumbsup

Yes he is, he's working on the add on ESB gear boxes for the PG Falcon for me, which I'm sure, will be a very popular item on Shapeways. they might be spendy, but worth it. yes I would wait for the rings first, definitely. he won't be long with it though I'm certain. I did use the PE for that, yes but I don't think I have a good close up of the X on the top of the tower on mine, I actually installed it incorrectly because I couldn't make out from the instructions how it went to start with, but it's there. Omnius' thread has excellent pics of how it is done properly so I'd recommend looking at his. He and Invar are REALLY detail and greeblie kings :thumbsup
Hi Ross, Yes he is great with this stuff.......Tony got back to me quick and started doing it once I gave him the dimensions.

Hangar Bay lightly highlighted with a pencil. Laser turrets installed and minor touchups completed. Ready for clear coat on Saturday. I have to hold off on gluing the deflectors to the bells because I need to get Tony's rings first. Much harder to install those rings with the deflectors in the way.

Not sure what to call it but on top of the Command Tower between the shield generators you installed the "X" standing up. Did you use the photo etched parts for the "X" to be installed standing up or something else? Do you have a photo on where you attached it?

View attachment 799234 View attachment 799235

- - - Updated - - -

btw, again I'll say that your wash turned out far better than mine, top work buddy! :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

also, you never said on the tiny tie fighters or the Slave 1...did you already get some?

Clear coat done!!!!

Only thing left is that I'm waiting on the rings/bezels from Tony (delivery this week) to put on the engine bells. Once I get the rings glued I can glue on the deflectors then install the completed bells to the engine block.

Hi Ross did you have any light leaks around the seam where the bells meet the engine block?

The shield generators which will go on last since I don't want to break any of the delicate points off the top.

75% done the stand/base..........2 weeks should be all done.

20180305_074926smaller.jpg 20180305_074945smaller.jpg 20180305_074956smaller.jpg 20180305_075022smaller.jpg

20180305_075258smaller.jpg 20180305_075118smaller.jpg 20180305_075150smaller.jpg 20180305_075200smaller.jpg

looking Fan-tas-tic! again, your wash job turned out way better than mine :thumbsup. Nope, no light leaks, but the rings from the kit didn't work right with the upgrade bells. crap, I can't remember what I did...I think I left them off since it looked ok without 'em. I don't have any pics either...I'll have to look when I get home, though I do recall there being an issue with those.
Clear coat done!!!!

Only thing left is that I'm waiting on the rings/bezels from Tony (delivery this week) to put on the engine bells. Once I get the rings glued I can glue on the deflectors then install the completed bells to the engine block.

Hi Ross did you have any light leaks around the seam where the bells meet the engine block?

The shield generators which will go on last since I don't want to break any of the delicate points off the top.

75% done the stand/base..........2 weeks should be all done.

View attachment 800140 View attachment 800141 View attachment 800142 View attachment 800143

View attachment 800144 View attachment 800145 View attachment 800146 View attachment 800147

Thanks for the kind words!!

I found the kit rings needed to be sanded down so the center opening of upgraded bells seat properly into the opening on the engine block. If the center portion of the bells connection with the engine block is tight then there probably wont be any light leak. You left the outer rings off and you have no light leak. I will have the outer rings on so almost no chance of any light leak. I hope I have no leak so one less thing to tackle.

looking Fan-tas-tic! again, your wash job turned out way better than mine :thumbsup. Nope, no light leaks, but the rings from the kit didn't work right with the upgrade bells. crap, I can't remember what I did...I think I left them off since it looked ok without 'em. I don't have any pics either...I'll have to look when I get home, though I do recall there being an issue with those.

Hi Ross do you remember what "font" you had your plaque made with? I want to get one and I like the lettering you on yours. Is that brass or aluminum finish?

Is the plate angled (smaller at the top)?

Thanks!

ISDPLATE1.jpeg

Hmm, you know they never said what that font was, they showed me a few and I picked that one. I reckon you could put the pic on your phone and take it with to the place where you're going to get it done and show 'em? yes, though, the plate is smaller at the top, just wanted something a little different, slight reminiscent of when those movies start, you know :thumbsup.
Hi Ross do you remember what "font" you had your plaque made with? I want to get one and I like the lettering you on yours. Is that brass or aluminum finish?

Is the plate angled (smaller at the top)?

Thanks!

View attachment 800179

Thanks!!..........I'm going to get mine online for $6 each shipped. Easier than looking for a local store and having to go on the weekend and hope they can make it. I will get a few for some of my other builds. You just need to know all the info and font you want before you order.

Hmm, you know they never said what that font was, they showed me a few and I picked that one. I reckon you could put the pic on your phone and take it with to the place where you're going to get it done and show 'em? yes, though, the plate is smaller at the top, just wanted something a little different, slight reminiscent of when those movies start, you know :thumbsup.

Ahh, I see, sorry I don't know for sure...but you could probably match it up on a PC couldn't you? or just attach the pic to your order for example? I'm reaching for solutions :wacko:lol
Thanks!!..........I'm going to get mine online for $6 each shipped. Easier than looking for a local store and having to go on the weekend and hope they can make it. I will get a few for some of my other builds. You just need to know all the info and font you want before you order.

Quick update:

Received the rings for the engine bells yesterday. Shout out to Tony (308 bits) for doing a great job and superfast shipping from Shapeways

Tonight will glue on all the deflectors to the bells and tomorrow will install bells to engine block and the SD will be done!!!

Still a little more to do on the base. Needs clear coat and install the switches and wiring. Should be done by this weekend or early next week

Started this project Nov 8th

20180306_230717smaller.jpg 20180306_231008smaller.jpg

hey Scott,
I guess I misunderstood what rings you were talking about. now that I see, is that going to take away the "gear teeth" appearance, or will it still be visible?[
Wow, almost at the finish line...that's got to a bit of satisfaction right? then still, a bit of sadness that the fun will soon be over? it's a mixed bag I guess, some projects I get bummed when it's over because it was so much fun...then others not so much and I'm already thinking of what to do next :wacko:lolQUOTE=Escape068;4422842]Quick update:

Received the rings for the engine bells yesterday. Shout out to Tony (308 bits) for doing a great job and superfast shipping from Shapeways

Tonight will glue on all the deflectors to the bells and tomorrow will install bells to engine block and the SD will be done!!!

Still a little more to do on the base. Needs clear coat and install the switches and wiring. Should be done by this weekend or early next week

View attachment 800624 View attachment 800625[/QUOTE]

When lit you see the gear teeth so it's kind of a neat effect when you turn them on.

When I tested the diffuser the light spread out much more evenly inside the whole bell when it was place where I have it now compared to behind the gear teeth. I asked Tony to make me those bezels to cover the edges.

This one is getting to the point (4 months) when will it end but it's been a lot of fun with you and the other builders When I did the 1/350 Enterprise Refit it was 1 year so I was dying to get that finished. The smaller ones under a month are fun all the way through. I have to say I had a real good time with this one on your thread and it would not have been nearly as detailed if I had not gone back and fourth with you and the other great modelers and their SD's on this and the other threads. S

I incorporated some really great ideas into my build and I hope others incorporated some of my ideas into their own builds. That is how you pick up the skills and confidence to tackle any issues that comes at you on these builds.

hey Scott,
I guess I misunderstood what rings you were talking about. now that I see, is that going to take away the "gear teeth" appearance, or will it still be visible?[
Wow, almost at the finish line...that's got to a bit of satisfaction right? then still, a bit of sadness that the fun will soon be over? it's a mixed bag I guess, some projects I get bummed when it's over because it was so much fun...then others not so much and I'm already thinking of what to do next :wacko:lolQUOTE=Escape068;4422842]Quick update:

View attachment 800624 View attachment 800625
[/QUOTE]

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back