1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

Thanks Ross.............Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Have to start thinking about my next build either a few smaller 2-3 week builds or another all out lighted 3-6 month project?

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! :thumbsup looks like it was professionally manufactured, stunning work buddy! I can't wait for the video of everything in operation, it's going to blow us all away!

Last edited:
Well, for myself I think it's better to do a couple or a few smaller, shorter ones before taking on another large one. One needs a respite from a large nerve racking project. I did that AT-AT in about 2 weeks, I'm doing that 1/72 Xwing now and it'll probably be another week or so. Getting a lot of help from new friend Socrates11 as he is almost done and gave me some really good insight as to how to go about it. otherwise it'd have been a bugger. Bandai are awesome kits, fit, finish and detail. but the way they're designed, definitely does NOT lend them to ease of lighting.
Thanks Russ.............Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Have to start thinking about my next build either a few smaller 2-3 week builds or another all out lighted 3-6 month project?

I did the same after finishing the 1/350 Enterprise Refit. Need a break from this long build......Still a few more weeks to go. More than likely will do 3 to 4 small builds.

Well, for myself I think it's better to do a couple or a few smaller, shorter ones before taking on another large one. One needs a respite from a large nerve racking project. I did that AT-AT in about 2 weeks, I'm doing that 1/72 Xwing now and it'll probably be another week or so. Getting a lot of help from new friend Socrates11 as he is almost done and gave me some really good insight as to how to go about it. otherwise it'd have been a bugger. Bandai are awesome kits, fit, finish and detail. but the way they're designed, definitely does NOT lend them to ease of lighting.

Me thinks that's a wise choice. I've got a 1/72 snow speeder coming for my in the wall shelf diorama, so I'll do that after the Xwing...then it's the 1/72 Bandai perfect grade Falcon, also for the diorama...the Echo Base hangar. Then, I'll build the hangar itself which is getting floor and ceiling lights and a scratch built repair gantry thingy. Lots and lots of lighting for this project. going to be wall outlet fed so I gotta round up all that crap too. Somewhere in there I have to squeeze in a Polar Lights Area 51 UFO for my buddy in CA. it's on it's way now and should be a short easy one. probably do that before the Falcon.
I did the same after finishing the 1/350 Enterprise Refit. Need a break from this long build......Still a few more weeks to go. More than likely will do 3 to 4 small builds.

I've got Tony of 308 Bits working on the add-on front landing gear for the Falcon also, it's an ANH version with only the 3 original landing gear and I'm a strict ESB guy. Tony is good though. We talked about modifying the add-on stuff for the MPC kit that he designed, should work. I've got a set and I eye-balled the fit and contour for him, we think it'll work with only a few changes.

WOW.....you have a full plate in front of you!!! I haven't thought that far ahead........Don't even know what's next. Hopefully this week I will decide on a few builds?

Me thinks that's a wise choice. I've got a 1/72 snow speeder coming for my in the wall shelf diorama, so I'll do that after the Xwing...then it's the 1/72 Bandai perfect grade Falcon, also for the diorama...the Echo Base hangar. Then, I'll build the hangar itself which is getting floor and ceiling lights and a scratch built repair gantry thingy. Lots and lots of lighting for this project. going to be wall outlet fed so I gotta round up all that crap too. Somewhere in there I have to squeeze in a Polar Lights Area 51 UFO for my buddy in CA. it's on it's way now and should be a short easy one. probably do that before the Falcon.

I got stuff coming out my ears! I have a closet full of MPC Falcons, none of which are pressing though, I should just sell them all... but also a 1/72 Disney Nautilus with full salon interior, that'll be a project! Then in the garage I have six boxes, 18x12x22 full of a complete 1/43 Deago Falcon which is getting every bell and whistle possible. That's when I'll have to learn all that electronic stuff, Ardurino boards, programing, etc....THAT will be a year long thing I'm thinking ...I'm not sure if it'll be fun, or a nightmare :confused:wacko.
WOW.....you have a full plate in front of you!!! I haven't thought that far ahead........Don't even know what's next. Hopefully this week I will decide on a few builds?

These long projects start out fun but then drag on and all you what to do is finish it. You invest so much time and effort, as more time goes by you hope nothing goes wrong and it turns out they way you envisioned it.

I have so many kits in my basement I probably won't get to all of them either

I got stuff coming out my ears! I have a closet full of MPC Falcons, none of which are pressing though, I should just sell them all... but also a 1/72 Disney Nautilus with full salon interior, that'll be a project! Then in the garage I have six boxes, 18x12x22 full of a complete 1/43 Deago Falcon which is getting every bell and whistle possible. That's when I'll have to learn all that electronic stuff, Ardurino boards, programing, etc....THAT will be a year long thing I'm thinking ...I'm not sure if it'll be fun, or a nightmare :confused:wacko.

Quick Star Destroyer Update:

Engine block installed. Will be attaching upper hull to lower this weekend. Wash to follow sometime next week.

Base / Stand construction underway. Priming and adding detail started.

20180216_063019smaller.jpg 20180216_063042smaller.jpg 20180216_063200smaller.jpg

Top and bottom sections joined!! Trench and engine block re-primed and painted. I may do pre-shading in the trench area and engine block before the wash. I hope to do the wash next weekend.

Hi Ross, when you applied the wash did it interfere/cover the FO that you had bloomed the ends. Did you also cover with Testors dullcoat and did that have any effect on the FO ...........If it didn't I may cut them prior to those steps

Stand /base over 50% complete

20180217_101826smaller.jpg 20180217_120817smaller.jpg 20180218_151020smaller.jpg 20180219_075814smaller.jpg

Attachments

• 20180219_075940smaller.jpg
    20180219_075940smaller.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 92
hey there Scott!, Looking incredible! :thumbsup I washed before FO. I brushed and dabbed the trenches after they were attached to the lower. The upper and lower I used the watered down wash in the spray bottle, pieces standing on end, forward end up, and just let it run down, then dabbed with wet Q-tips or wet brushed the areas where there appeared to be too much. Damp Q-tips won't absorb too much and leave less lint. With your FO in already, I'd cut them after. The dabbing will be a bit more tedious with FO sticking out, but you'd hate to have trimmed FO that the wash stuck to too much. then you'd have some brighter than others. just my opinion given your assembly sequence. I think when I do another one I'm going to do a stand like yours, takes away from the ship far less than mine does :thumbsup
Top and bottom sections joined!! Trench and engine block re-primed and painted. I may do pre-shading in the trench area and engine block before the wash. I hope to do the wash next weekend.

Hi Ross, when you applied the wash did it interfere/cover the FO that you had bloomed the ends. Did you also cover with Testors dullcoat and did that have any effect on the FO ...........If it didn't I may cut them prior to those steps

View attachment 796759 View attachment 796760 View attachment 796761 View attachment 796762

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, forgot about the dull coat, it has a negligible affect on the FO, just don't go too heavy, it doesn't take much to seal your finish. I did the dull coat at the very end.

View attachment 796759 View attachment 796760 View attachment 796761 View attachment 796762

Thanks for the sequence....I will wash then clip the FO and finally seal.

Sorry......that is not the stand!! I use the same type connector/brass post for my lighted ships so that base serves as stand-in until the actual base is done.

How much did you dilute the wash with water and how long did you leave it on before you started to wipe off. Did you do apply the wash more than once?

Thanks!!

50pony66;4413564]hey there Scott!, Looking incredible! :thumbsup I washed before FO. I brushed and dabbed the trenches after they were attached to the lower. The upper and lower I used the watered down wash in the spray bottle, pieces standing on end, forward end up, and just let it run down, then dabbed with wet Q-tips or wet brushed the areas where there appeared to be too much. Damp Q-tips won't absorb too much and leave less lint. With your FO in already, I'd cut them after. The dabbing will be a bit more tedious with FO sticking out, but you'd hate to have trimmed FO that the wash stuck to too much. then you'd have some brighter than others. just my opinion given your assembly sequence. I think when I do another one I'm going to do a stand like yours, takes away from the ship far less than mine does :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, forgot about the dull coat, it has a negligible affect on the FO, just don't go too heavy, it doesn't take much to seal your finish. I did the dull coat at the very end.[/QUOTE]

I took one of those empty travel bottles you get in the set at the drug store, you get like 4 in the pack. 3 with a cap and one with a spray top, they're like 3 to 4 inches tall. I poured about an inch of wash in the spray bottle, then about 3/4 inch of bottled water (our tap water here sucks) then shook it up. held the lower hull straight up and down, sprayed it, then went about a 45 degree angle so it didn't all run off at once. just be sure you cover it all, you can always go back right then to spritz it again if you feel you need more. You can dip it side to side if needed for even running. The upper though, and I forgot to mention before, I did the same way but the front end down so it doesn't puddle too much on the super structure, but then mine was glued down where yours is still separate. So you'll want to figure that out so both pieces are even. If you do them attached, I'd stuff some paper towels inside first so you don't drench all you FO and electrics. Your engine panel is a tricky one, you don't want puddles in your engine bells, so I'd stuff cotton balls inside the bells, spray the rest, stand on end for a minute, then wet dab the areas where there is too much. then if you're going to do the inside of the bells I'd go light with a wet brush with the wash. I figured the heat from the main engines kept the inside of the bells pretty sanitized and too much wash inside would cut down on the LED reflection...don't want that :lol
Thanks for the sequence....I will wash then clip the FO and finally seal.

Sorry......that is not the stand!! I use the same type connector/brass post for my lighted ships so that base serves as stand-in until the actual base is done.

How much did you dilute the wash with water and how long did you leave it on before you started to wipe off. Did you do apply the wash more than once?

Thanks!!

50pony66;4413564]hey there Scott!, Looking incredible! :thumbsup I washed before FO. I brushed and dabbed the trenches after they were attached to the lower. The upper and lower I used the watered down wash in the spray bottle, pieces standing on end, forward end up, and just let it run down, then dabbed with wet Q-tips or wet brushed the areas where there appeared to be too much. Damp Q-tips won't absorb too much and leave less lint. With your FO in already, I'd cut them after. The dabbing will be a bit more tedious with FO sticking out, but you'd hate to have trimmed FO that the wash stuck to too much. then you'd have some brighter than others. just my opinion given your assembly sequence. I think when I do another one I'm going to do a stand like yours, takes away from the ship far less than mine does :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, forgot about the dull coat, it has a negligible affect on the FO, just don't go too heavy, it doesn't take much to seal your finish. I did the dull coat at the very end.
[/QUOTE]

Great advise as always!! Awesome description for each step. A great must read guide for others that will be doing this.

I will definitely have the top attached so I get an even wash. I didn't attach the belles......I did some pre-shading with airbrush and they look good. I will attach them last. Like the idea of paper towels over the electronics to keep any water away. Another great tip is to have the ship vertical when applying wash and to have facing front end down for the top.

The plan is to do this on the weekend. I may do so shading with airbrush on the engine block and trenches like I did before the top coat so I won't have to apply that much wash in those areas.

Thanks!!

I took one of those empty travel bottles you get in the set at the drug store, you get like 4 in the pack. 3 with a cap and one with a spray top, they're like 3 to 4 inches tall. I poured about an inch of wash in the spray bottle, then about 3/4 inch of bottled water (our tap water here sucks) then shook it up. held the lower hull straight up and down, sprayed it, then went about a 45 degree angle so it didn't all run off at once. just be sure you cover it all, you can always go back right then to spritz it again if you feel you need more. You can dip it side to side if needed for even running. The upper though, and I forgot to mention before, I did the same way but the front end down so it doesn't puddle too much on the super structure, but then mine was glued down where yours is still separate. So you'll want to figure that out so both pieces are even. If you do them attached, I'd stuff some paper towels inside first so you don't drench all you FO and electrics. Your engine panel is a tricky one, you don't want puddles in your engine bells, so I'd stuff cotton balls inside the bells, spray the rest, stand on end for a minute, then wet dab the areas where there is too much. then if you're going to do the inside of the bells I'd go light with a wet brush with the wash. I figured the heat from the main engines kept the inside of the bells pretty sanitized and too much wash inside would cut down on the LED reflection...don't want that :lol
[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup
Great advise as always!! Awesome description for each step. A great must read guide for others that will be doing this.

I will definitely have the top attached so I get an even wash. I didn't attach the belles......I did some pre-shading with airbrush and they look good. I will attach them last. Like the idea of paper towels over the electronics to keep any water away. Another great tip is to have the ship vertical when applying wash and to have facing front end down for the top.

The plan is to do this on the weekend. I may do so shading with airbrush on the engine block and trenches like I did before the top coat so I won't have to apply that much wash in those areas.

Thanks!!
[/QUOTE]

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back