1/2256 Tantive IV

darthviper107

Sr Member
I've got the Anigrand Star Destroyer so I wanted to get a Tantive to go along with it. There's the Anigrand one, but you have to buy that with the Medical Frigate and I'm not interested in that at all.

So I decided to make a 3D model of it and have it printed.
Things are going well, but I decided I'd like to make it so I can light the engines and stuff, so what I'm thinking is that I could design it to have holes going from the engines to the center to fit fiber optics, then I could have an LED inside to light those. I could even have another LED pointing forward to light the cockpit.

I can make the 3D model available for people to get their own printed as well, so I'm wondering what way people would like to have the ship mounted.

I can have it attached to the top, so you could have it in the hanger of the SD. Or I could have it attached to the bottom, so you could just have its own small base where the battery would be (I'm even planning on designing a base to fit it). Or I could even have it attached to the side, like how the real filming model was done.

Let me know what you guys think

Yeah, I saw your build, it's the only build of the Anigrand Tantive that I've seen so I was trying to make sure to have at least that much detail

Which way do you think it should be mounted?

Also--I'm not that experienced at electronics, does anyone know if a 3v coin battery would be able to run two 3mm LED's? I'm thinking of designing the base to specifically be able to hold the battery and everything

Thanks, they are great little kits. I would suggest mounting from the bottom. That way you don't loose detail on the side. That's just my opinion though. A 3v coin battery should run them fine. However for longer run times I would suggest two 3v coins with a resistor to drop the voltage to 3v from the 6 produced by two.

I can't even imagine trying to run fiber in there. I would think it would be easier to cast the LED into the ship and cast it in clear... the engine "block" might be big enough for a small LED... I have one of the anigrand ones... and its teeny...

Good Luck with it!

Jedi Dade

just cast the LED into a clear resin ship, paint it silver then your base colors and drill away the parts you want light to come thru.

I can't even imagine trying to run fiber in there. I would think it would be easier to cast the LED into the ship and cast it in clear... the engine "block" might be big enough for a small LED... I have one of the anigrand ones... and its teeny...

Good Luck with it!

Jedi Dade

It's actually not difficult at all--I've got a 1mm hole going through each engine, enough to fit a good sized fiber optic, the engines will be one section, and then the middle will be another section, which is big enough to fit a 3mm LED inside, so the fiber optics would go through the engines and then to the center to where the LED is, then there would be another LED facing forward, and both would have the wires going down through the center.

The 3D printing makes it very easy to add the holes in there, as long as the support material has a way to get out of the holes it's fine.

Here's a render of it. The insides aren't fully hollowed out yet, but it's all solid and I've gotten the thicknesses of the pieces to the minimum so that it can print. Minimum thickness is 0.3mm

brrender01.jpg

looks very nice, do you have any idea on the price?

I don't know yet, have to finish hollowing it out and do the base. I'm getting this printed at Shapeways, which isn't so bad a price. I hope to finish this later today in which case I can find out how much it will actually cost.

Shapeways/3d printing design tip: you shouldn't put the entire model at the minimum thickness.

It's cool to have some parts down to that thickness (pro tip: sometimes even smaller than the minimum thickness) but if you make the entire shape the minimum thickness, it will usually not be strong enough to support itself.

Wilth all deference to your skill I seriously think that a better way to go would be to print the ship SOLID in 2 pieces. The engine block with a 3.1mm hole for the 3mm LED to go into, and the main body of the ship. Cast it in clear, place the LED in the engine block and glue it all up... good to go. This would allow you to also light the cockpit if you desired to since light would travel through the clear resin to the front of the ship :)

Your 3d model is gorgeous.

PLEASE post pics of it when you get there...

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

Shapeways/3d printing design tip: you shouldn't put the entire model at the minimum thickness.

It's cool to have some parts down to that thickness (pro tip: sometimes even smaller than the minimum thickness) but if you make the entire shape the minimum thickness, it will usually not be strong enough to support itself.

It isn't that thickness on the whole thing--the only parts that are 0.3mm are the parts that have to be that thickness, like the gun barrels, or the communication dish, the rest of it has plenty of room.

Wilth all deference to your skill I seriously think that a better way to go would be to print the ship SOLID in 2 pieces. The engine block with a 3.1mm hole for the 3mm LED to go into, and the main body of the ship. Cast it in clear, place the LED in the engine block and glue it all up... good to go. This would allow you to also light the cockpit if you desired to since light would travel through the clear resin to the front of the ship :)

Your 3d model is gorgeous.

PLEASE post pics of it when you get there...

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

I don't see how that would make it better at all--I can easily put the holes in exactly where I need them, especially for the engines which would have to bend around the corner to be able to join in the middle. No need to make it solid and drill it later.

If the model is cast in clear then there is no need for drilling - other than to remove the paint from the end of the engines.

Heh I'm just trying to help that's all - I think your model is great. Do what you think is best. my suggestion was to place a hole in the engine block area for an LED and cast in clear resin... that way there is no need to drilling and cutting of any kind simply insert LED glue together and paint.

Jedi Dade

Oh ok, Well I don't think an LED would light that correctly, there would be too much that would block the light from transmitting to the engines properly. Plus it couldn't be recast anyways because of the extreme overhangs on the model, especially the back engine pieces.

Just did a test upload to Shapeways--just the ship with no base comes to $17. I'll post some pictures detailing what it's like when I get home

Finished up the model:

brrender02.jpg

brrender03.jpg

brrender04.jpg

brrender05.jpg

The price was much too high with the stand, like $80 so it would be better to just build one out of styrene or something, so I dropped that. So here's the options:

This one has the hole in the bottom, along with a rod for it to all go on:
Blockade Runner No Stand by darthviper107 on Shapeways

It is $18.40

This one does not have the hole in the bottom, or the rod to mount it on:
Blockade Runner Only by darthviper107 on Shapeways

That one is $17.28

Both are hollow, with holes going to the engines, and the cockpit head is hollow. Don't worry, it's not too thin, it's at least 1mm thick on the hull, and has lots of support. The holes in the back are big enough to fit 1mm fiber optics. I'm hoping the angles are good so that they will be able to slide through there, I'm not sure on that since they've got to go at weird angles to get to the engines.

I'd recommend everyone wait until I get my prints done, that way I'll know if it works, plus I'll know how the quality print is, since the last print I got from Shapeways had lines on it, they supposedly fixed that issue so we'll see.

Another thing is---there's a minimum order of $25, and this doesn't reach that, so I guess you have to find something else on shapeways just to add to it, unless you guys can think of something I could add to this to bring the cost up to $25.

On another topic----I just noticed how the Anigrand Star Destroyer was made--it's a 3D model that's available at Sci-Fi 3D for free download: Sci-Fi 3D: The Ultimate 3D Sci-Fi Resource

I'm surprised I didn't recognize it before. But it shows they got a good service for making their kits, it's a very clean model.

What would it be if you had them do the ship and the support tube, but not the base itself?

What would it be if you had them do the ship and the support tube, but not the base itself?

In my last post, there's two options, the first has the ship and the support tube, and it's $18.40

The second doesn't have the support tube and it doesn't have a mounting hole for it (although the ship is still hollow).

By the way---the size of the mounting hole is 1/8" So if you wanted, you could replace it with a brass tube.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back