1/2 scale Atlas from Portal 2 *FINISHED PICS PAGE 4*

Re: 1/2 scale Atlas from Portal 2

I love it! Would be awesome just to have a 1/4 size atlas :D but this beats a lot :)
Really nice
/D

sounds like there is a lot of interest in having an Atlas available to buy. I can say right now it would be extremely limited since we're not about to create a kit or do any moulding or finishing whatsoever, we've had our fill already and there's still a second bot to build!

I will say this, GameStop would like there to only be the two at this scale and finish level, to keep their prize rare and exciting, and I understand. I think it would basically be impossible to print this size as one piece anyway.

We do have an infinitely scalable digital model that we made however, and could theoretically submit it for 3D printing. It cost nearly $8k to print all the parts to one bot at this scale though, so at 1/4 scale it may very well be around 4K, plus our costs of modelling, mechanically designing, etc. and profit. I don't really think that would be economical for many people. Even on this project, like almost ALL projects we do, the material costs are a very small percentage of the final cost, it's professional designer time paid that's where the costs add up. There will be almost 1,000 man hours in this before we're done.

I guess you can take that to mean I've heard a lot of musing on the subject, and I feel many don't understand the costs here. HOWEVER, I am totally open to ideas to make this more feasible for everyone involved! So if you folks in the kit and modelmaking world of the RPF know of anything, I'm all ears!

We also have a box of unused parts that were sub-par but completely usable. There are two complete 1/2 scale portal guns as well that may be a part of that box, or separate, I haven't decided. This things will be for sale when I can figure out the best way to recoup costs from them.

Last edited:

There are two complete 1/2 scale portal guns as well that may be a part of that box, or separate, I haven't decided. This things will be for sale when I can figure out the best way to recoup costs from them.

Maybe you could check the price for Printed parts of a 1:1 size Portal gun. I guess a few people would love to get their hand on one of them.

Maybe you could check the price for Printed parts of a 1:1 size Portal gun. I guess a few people would love to get their hand on one of them.

I think you might be right, I'd have to make sure that others that offer the gun aren't blown out of the water first, I'm not like that. :thumbsup

And thank you for the link in your signature, that wasted a good half hour of my time and now I have a headache. :sick

here's where we're at today, getting the arms on. They're heavy and the gun isn't in the hands yet, I'm starting to sweat this thing. It may just buckle under it's own weight.

Video game character designers make some cool looking ****, but it's seriously lacking in the feasibility and logistics arena. :lol

Jaye getting the gun together

IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_6531.jpg

IMG_6537.jpg

IMG_6526.jpg

IMG_6533.jpg

IMG_6534.jpg

IMG_6535.jpg

IMG_6536.jpg

IMG_6538.jpg

IMG_6539.jpg

This is just fantastic! Thank you for sharing these images and your experiences. I'm curious, is there a reason you chose to model Atlas over P-Body?

This is just fantastic! Thank you for sharing these images and your experiences. I'm curious, is there a reason you chose to model Atlas over P-Body?

Yes, the project took shape with discussions between us, GameStop, and Valve. In the end we all decided to make two, 1/2 scale Atlas bots. All parties involved felt that he is more interesting, I would say.

We do hope to make a P-Body at this scale to go with the one that's going to Valve, but that's up to them!

do you happen to have a CAD file or auto desk file for the 3d model. i am working on building a functional, working model /robot. it would greatly speed up my construction process if you could let me use them (and if i did end up constructing it, i would give you credit) . thanks but no worries if that is not possible. the model you have looks absolutly beautiful. thanks

do you happen to have a CAD file or auto desk file for the 3d model. i am working on building a functional, working model /robot. it would greatly speed up my construction process if you could let me use them (and if i did end up constructing it, i would give you credit) . thanks but no worries if that is not possible. the model you have looks absolutly beautiful. thanks

We did get a mesh file from Valve, but had to re-model the entire robot to create geometry that would be worth spending the money to 3D print. You can see the files at the beginning of this thread. We may be using this model for things down the road.

If you mean CAD as in AutoCAD, we don't use AutoCAD as it is old, outdated software. AutoDesk Inventor is a software we use, but the digital model in this case was created in Rhinoceros, which is NURBS modelling not parametric.

I don't want to rain on your parade either, but I worked for 3 years as a mechanical designer out of college before I started my business, and I would say that you will be hard pressed to make a functional, or even pose-able version of Atlas. Joint linkage and actuators oppose one another, parts statically interrupt each other, and there are mechanisms missing for over 50% of his moving parts. By the time all of this is remedied, what you build won't look much like Atlas. It sounds like you're not too familiar with cutting edge software, and it took us 4 weeks to generate a 3D model worthy of printing, working full time at it. After that, it cost 8k to have the parts to one robot printed, and took us over a month to prepare all those parts for assembly, working full time at it. With 2 full time people, and three part time people, this project cost tens of thousands of dollars.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, I know anything's possible, just thought you should know how much work and money has gone into just a model of this character.

Last edited:

I think you might be right, I'd have to make sure that others that offer the gun aren't blown out of the water first, I'm not like that. :thumbsup

And thank you for the link in your signature, that wasted a good half hour of my time and now I have a headache. :sick

:lol Yeah ,the Homemade Advacnded action suit can sure give people headaches.

Really really superb work. I've been oogling this thread up and down for idunno how long. Thanks for sharing!

the bewbs? Yea they were a takeaway from some plastic surgery business, they were at the makeup artist trade show in LA, thought it was funny and took a handful. (no pun intended)

I just visited a friend in Vermont Agent RayBans, any chance you know him?

Last edited:

Is there anyway to get the full 360* turn around of Atlas? I'm trying to make a costume of him and finding clear screen shots of all the parts is almost impossible!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! We're always open to critique as well!

Is there anyway to get the full 360* turn around of Atlas? I'm trying to make a costume of him and finding clear screen shots of all the parts is almost impossible!

how would you make a costume? He's not humanoid...

okay so, a puppet, like that or the prequel C-3PO. That would be cool except the Grevious lend itself to that what with the cloak, and being taller than most humans. Atlas's body is at the halfway point in his height, kind of awkward but feasable.

Either way, shoot me a PM with progress on these projects and I will see if I can help, I can't just give things away that cost a lot to develop, you understand.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back