1/2 scale Atlas from Portal 2 *FINISHED PICS PAGE 4*

Re: 1/2 scale Atlas from Portal 2

I understand.

For the way i'm doing it...I had planned to place a good portion of my body into two hemishperes and hiding my head in one of the "hat" options you get from the TF2 guys getting a hold of Portal 2. My forearms would be Atlas' and his legs would be attached to the outsides of my legs. My feet would be his as well if I can swing it. The biggest issue I'm having, currently, is getting the two hemispheres. I'm working on a fiberglass one currently that I could cast two from after molding so that I can dremel out the details later. Shoulder plates, shin plates will most likely be made from EVA foam heat formed into their shapes. For the pistons, since I need those to be as flexible as possible...I'm using drip feed hosing in 1/2" and 3/4" sizes. The shiny black tubing coupled inside each other do look solid but with the flexiblity I need...

Thats the jist...I won't hijack your thread anymore lol

GREAT JOB THO!!!!

no worries that could look really cool, and depending on what size hemispheres you need and what your budget is, you can get acrylic and polycarbonate spheres on ebay for a VERY reasonable price, they are sold for light fixtures so they have a neck and hole in them but getting two to get two hemispheres out of, or using one and putting his eye where the hole is, would be a good idea. His body would be almost exactly a 20" diameter sphere at full scale, as our bot is 1/2 scale and his main sphere is 9.8XX" diameter and the outside plates are based on an even 10" sphere.

You can also get hemispheres and full spheres in fiberglass from EDON:
EDON Spires & Spheres

Here's where we got today, I laid out and glued on some laser cut styrene rivet heads

IMG_6544.jpg

IMG_6545.jpg

IMG_6547.jpg

and we got the gun around and worked out the weight bearing issues we were having

IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_6550.jpg

the communications handset thinger is together and the antenna end lights up nicely

IMG_6553.jpg

This was supposed to ship tomorrow, so this week we should be wrapping this up. Better late than never!

We did get a mesh file from Valve, but had to re-model the entire robot to create geometry that would be worth spending the money to 3D print. You can see the files at the beginning of this thread. We may be using this model for things down the road.

If you mean CAD as in AutoCAD, we don't use AutoCAD as it is old, outdated software. AutoDesk Inventor is a software we use, but the digital model in this case was created in Rhinoceros, which is NURBS modelling not parametric.

I don't want to rain on your parade either, but I worked for 3 years as a mechanical designer out of college before I started my business, and I would say that you will be hard pressed to make a functional, or even pose-able version of Atlas. Joint linkage and actuators oppose one another, parts statically interrupt each other, and there are mechanisms missing for over 50% of his moving parts. By the time all of this is remedied, what you build won't look much like Atlas. It sounds like you're not too familiar with cutting edge software, and it took us 4 weeks to generate a 3D model worthy of printing, working full time at it. After that, it cost 8k to have the parts to one robot printed, and took us over a month to prepare all those parts for assembly, working full time at it. With 2 full time people, and three part time people, this project cost tens of thousands of dollars.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, I know anything's possible, just thought you should know how much work and money has gone into just a model of this character.

oh, well hahaha i figured it wouldnt be built quite that simple ( or complex as it may need to be). i use autodesk inventer 2011, sorry i didnt specify. so how would i get those files from you. i mostly just want to mess around with the bits and pieces on inventer and possible re-invent the parts that need to move and what not. i know this may be quite the project and cost lots of money but i would still love to attempt it. i do not, however, intend to 3D print it for i dont have the resorces. I would just like the inventer files or whatever programs you use to make each in dividual parts and their dimensions. this is just wishful thinking though at its highest though hahaha. you dont have to do anything if you dont like ( obviously). Thanks for your time though and good luck on this, it looks amazing and maybe one day someone will get one to function hahaha. thanks

oh, well hahaha i figured it wouldnt be built quite that simple ( or complex as it may need to be). i use autodesk inventer 2011, sorry i didnt specify. so how would i get those files from you. i mostly just want to mess around with the bits and pieces on inventer and possible re-invent the parts that need to move and what not. i know this may be quite the project and cost lots of money but i would still love to attempt it. i do not, however, intend to 3D print it for i dont have the resorces. I would just like the inventer files or whatever programs you use to make each in dividual parts and their dimensions. this is just wishful thinking though at its highest though hahaha. you dont have to do anything if you dont like ( obviously). Thanks for your time though and good luck on this, it looks amazing and maybe one day someone will get one to function hahaha. thanks

No problem, I can't just give you the files however. That would be like giving you the actual model, there are over 80 man hours in the 3D model, to pay a professional for their time to make it would cost several thousand dollars. Also, like when selling moulds, you're selling the ability to create profit, which has to be contractually laid out and accounted for monetarily. If I gave you the 3D model, what's to stop you selling them? Not saying you would but you technically could if I just gave it away.

I'm really sorry to be short with anyone genuinely interested in our work, It just surprises me sometimes when people don't think about the professional time that goes into things like this. Even hobbyists know how many hours go into models, if you were personally making $25/hour, the cost would be serious, but if you had overhead and charged $60-$80/hour for shop time, it's easy to see why custom fabrications cost what they do. A good 3D modeller (Industrial or Mechanical Designer) should be making $20-$25/hour at least.

Again thanks for the feedback everyone and I don't mean to be rude, but we've been inundated with people wondering if these are for sale, and how much they are, then balking when I tell them. I may just be a little sleep deprived but it's getting to me. Don't mean to take it out on people commenting here, just want to be clear.:cheers

Again thanks for the feedback everyone and I don't mean to be rude, but we've been inundated with people wondering if these are for sale, and how much they are, then balking when I tell them. I may just be a little sleep deprived but it's getting to me. Don't mean to take it out on people commenting here, just want to be clear.:cheers

SO...... are these for sale, and how much are they?.....:p

J/k:lol On these two models, will the portal gun be removable? and do it has a seperate powersource than the Atlas model?

Great work Chaz. I too would like to know when a kit will be available and will it be under $50? :p

I'm afraid you will get those questions. If anything I think you have been a little bit *too* forthcoming and obliging with your answers - for legal self-protection you might want to be a little more cautious when discussing the reject parts and the potential future uses of your Rhino model. That is, assuming Valve didn't give you carte blanche. Just a thought.

Amazing build cant wait to see more. If heat is an issue in your second story room try covering that exposed insulation with some kind of sheathing and adding a strong ventilation fan or an extra AC unit up there. I hate those small upstairs rooms as they always collect all the heat from the whole building.

Great work Chaz. I too would like to know when a kit will be available and will it be under $50? :p

I'm afraid you will get those questions. If anything I think you have been a little bit *too* forthcoming and obliging with your answers - for legal self-protection you might want to be a little more cautious when discussing the reject parts and the potential future uses of your Rhino model. That is, assuming Valve didn't give you carte blanche. Just a thought.

They didn't not give us carte blanche, but you have a point!

Amazing build cant wait to see more. If heat is an issue in your second story room try covering that exposed insulation with some kind of sheathing and adding a strong ventilation fan or an extra AC unit up there. I hate those small upstairs rooms as they always collect all the heat from the whole building.

it's actually kind of nice for the paint drying since it's relatively dry and only about ~85 up there. We are developing the whole shop as time passes so hopefully that room will become more finished shortly. Before this project it didn't exist! :lol

Bump.... any progress on this one or the second one? or about doing some Portal guns for us :)

wow very impressive.
So you got a mesh from valve and overworked this for 3d printing?
Must be a hell of work.

I know you can't give us the files finished for 3D printing, I understand the reason.
But are you allowed give us the mesh you got from valve?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back