1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Now I came across this tonight, whilst looking for something else entirely:

items in ARCADE WORLD UK store on eBay!

12V SUPER BRIGHT WEDGE BASE CLUSTER LED WHITE - 10MM items in ARCADE WORLD UK store on eBay!

You may get these cheaper elsewhere, but I never thought of arcade buttons, you can also get PCBs that handle the flashing, power, etc. I don't think you could do the whole thing with them, but as an additional they could be nice!

It also started me thinking could one of my drop down panels some how be built to include a tablet with the original star wars game in it (i.e. where you blow the tie fighter up in 3d vector)…...

I looked up and down through all these style of buttons and was never satisified. I ultimately decided on this:

Door stopper
http://www.therpf.com/f79/1-1-mille...ca-group-build-147319/index6.html#post2274517

Temp Lens - which turned out great!
http://www.therpf.com/f79/1-1-mille...a-group-build-147319/index53.html#post2531225

Canobi's Prototype Lens cover - we started this a while back. We're jumping back to this original idea
http://www.therpf.com/f79/1-1-mille...a-group-build-147319/index15.html#post2297082

The great thing about your build... the skies the limit!

- - - Updated - - -

Is that matte piece vac formed, I could not see where you said Sofaking? I was considering making a version out of mdf and filler.

Hi C,

The matte box was CNC'd out of MDF by one of our team members. He's making two more.
http://www.therpf.com/f79/1-1-mille...-group-build-147319/index177.html#post3184112

Last edited:
Well this was the first stage concept done the other night, basically you can see it consists of two beds put together. They will have a connecting gap between them so they can crawl over. The bed and underneath nearest the door will be the MF ( you can see the door access shape, a line layout for the cockpit, and the dashboard panel). None of this is at all detailed obviously! Above the bed will be a surround, which might have lights in, plus spaces for books, ipads, etc. At the foot end you can see the raised panels where they will be able to lie on their backs and power the turret (just a set of blocks at the moment).

bedroom.jpg

Well this was the first stage concept done the other night, basically you can see it consists of two beds put together. They will have a connecting gap between them so they can crawl over. The bed and underneath nearest the door will be the MF ( you can see the door access shape, a line layout for the cockpit, and the dashboard panel). None of this is at all detailed obviously! Above the bed will be a surround, which might have lights in, plus spaces for books, ipads, etc. At the foot end you can see the raised panels where they will be able to lie on their backs and power the turret (just a set of blocks at the moment).

View attachment 279493

Dude, you need to start your own thread! I'd love to follow this!

I looked up and down through all these style of buttons and was never satisified. I ultimately decided on this:

Door stopper
http://www.therpf.com/f79/1-1-mille...ca-group-build-147319/index6.html#post2274517

Temp Lens - which turned out great!
http://www.therpf.com/f79/1-1-mille...a-group-build-147319/index53.html#post2531225

Canobi's Prototype Lens cover - we started this a while back. We're jumping back to this original idea
http://www.therpf.com/f79/1-1-mille...a-group-build-147319/index15.html#post2297082

The great thing about your build... the skies the limit!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi C,

The matte box was CNC'd by one of our team members. He's making two more.
http://www.therpf.com/f79/1-1-mille...-group-build-147319/index177.html#post3184112

Trouble is I keep thinking of things and whoosh I am away. I think I will open a new thread so as to keep off yours, but will definitely be back to ask questions, and I am subscribed anyway.

What are those temp lenses? A search on google throws up v little are they the camera lenses that the odd link mentions? I love those!!! In fact they are more Star Wars tan Star wars!

Thanks Matt, This is really the "prep" stage to work out how things will work in the room. The issue I am having is what to do in the room, building this pretty much means little space for clothing, other toys, etc. TBH I have a huge house, and we could use one of the other rooms for a dual walk in wardrobe, etc. If I made the beds single beds the room underneath ends up as too small. I have yet to approach the girlfriend with this plan, so it may go down the toilet! She knows the ideas however and wants them to have an awesome room. The second bed will probably have other themes such as a castle, and I would like to make the sides of the bed so that they have hinged panels allowing further "play" opportunities (desert/palace/etc), they may have a "star wars" style to them, shhh don't tell the gf hahaha.

Trouble is I keep thinking of things and whoosh I am away. I think I will open a new thread so as to keep off yours, but will definitely be back to ask questions, and I am subscribed anyway.

What are those temp lenses? A search on google throws up v little are they the camera lenses that the odd link mentions? I love those!!! In fact they are more Star Wars tan Star wars!

Thanks Matt, This is really the "prep" stage to work out how things will work in the room. The issue I am having is what to do in the room, building this pretty much means little space for clothing, other toys, etc. TBH I have a huge house, and we could use one of the other rooms for a dual walk in wardrobe, etc. If I made the beds single beds the room underneath ends up as too small. I have yet to approach the girlfriend with this plan, so it may go down the toilet! She knows the ideas however and wants them to have an awesome room. The second bed will probably have other themes such as a castle, and I would like to make the sides of the bed so that they have hinged panels allowing further "play" opportunities (desert/palace/etc), they may have a "star wars" style to them, shhh don't tell the gf hahaha.

I love the plans so far. Definately looking forward to see what you do. The best part, you have total creative freedom. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have...

The lenses are actually round glass tiles that I simply adhered to the door stoppers. Go to Ebay and type "Clear Glass Dome Round Tiles" and watch the magic. Another member, Toxx, pointed me in the right direction.

Re: the GF... It's easier to ask foriveness than it is permission ;)

I love the plans so far. Definately looking forward to see what you do. The best part, you have total creative freedom. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have...

The lenses are actually round glass tiles that I simply adhered to the door stoppers. Go to Ebay and type "Clear Glass Dome Round Tiles" and watch the magic. Another member, Toxx, pointed me in the right direction.

Re: the GF... It's easier to ask foriveness than it is permission ;)

How big are your tiles out of interest hard to see on those photos the scale?

Yes I have suggested these things before, but I don't think she has quite got the scale of what I intend to do. Best not to say and just do it…. Been looking at cheap MP4 players on dhgate, and can pick them up cheap, will make great display panels….

What are your thoughts on lighting, I have looked at less, plain, strips, pre wired?

Maybe I can comment for this if I could find my jaw I lost somewhere on a floor.

Sir, you are working on a job of dream. AMAZING!!

Thank you for the kind words. It's been very exciting and an amazing ride. But, we've entered a frustration period - stuck in a holding pattern until we figure out the new workspace. ugh...

How big are your tiles out of interest hard to see on those photos the scale?

Yes I have suggested these things before, but I don't think she has quite got the scale of what I intend to do. Best not to say and just do it…. Been looking at cheap MP4 players on dhgate, and can pick them up cheap, will make great display panels….

What are your thoughts on lighting, I have looked at less, plain, strips, pre wired?

Hi C,

The tiles are 40mm and fit perfectly on the door stopper - as you've seen. If you're going to create a few panel lights, I would purchase a door stopper and measure the opening before purchasing any of the tiles. Better safe than sorry.

We've assembled a sound and light team and they're taking over that entire part of the build. Some lights are/will be prewired, but with 2000+ LEDs, I really have no idea what direction they're going to take. The cockpit is still in pieces so we haven't been able to really sit down and plan out exactly how we're going to move forward.

No problem, I just wondered, I was guessing that I would be in the reach of 500-1000 leds myself, that's without any of the other electronics. Having a quick look around at the web for ideas on how to put such a thing together! Part of me wonders about using Christmas tree style leds for convenience, with a mix of custom build for the bits I want to make interactive. This probably will make it quicker to build.

Thanks for the info, I am a measure twenty times cut once kind of guy, much to the frustration of my girlfriend (who is a hack it and go person lol).

No problem, I just wondered, I was guessing that I would be in the reach of 500-1000 leds myself, that's without any of the other electronics. Having a quick look around at the web for ideas on how to put such a thing together! Part of me wonders about using Christmas tree style leds for convenience, with a mix of custom build for the bits I want to make interactive. This probably will make it quicker to build.

Thanks for the info, I am a measure twenty times cut once kind of guy, much to the frustration of my girlfriend (who is a hack it and go person lol).

LOL! Sometimes the "Hack it and Go" works... But not in this case! :)

There are several vendors on Ebay who sell pre wired 12V LEDs - you can definately wheel and deal. The Christmas Tree string is always an option, but I don't know how satisfied you'll be in the end. I tried that exact path and the moment they were installed I realized I wanted screen accuracy. Granted I'm going for exactly that, but the Christmas lights just didn't fit into the overall design.

I received a quote a few months back from vendor in China. He quoted, if I remember correctly, approx $250 for 800-900 prewired 12v flashing LEDs in various colors.

Example: 50x 5mm Red Green Blue Yellow White Wide Angle Flat Top LED Pre Wired 9V 12V 24V | eBay

I would go this route. I think you'll be much happier. Just my two cents...

LOL! Sometimes the "Hack it and Go" works... But not in this case! :)

There are several vendors on Ebay who sell pre wired 12V LEDs - you can definately wheel and deal. The Christmas Tree string is always an option, but I don't know how satisfied you'll be in the end. I tried that exact path and the moment they were installed I realized I wanted screen accuracy. Granted I'm going for exactly that, but the Christmas lights just didn't fit into the overall design.

I received a quote a few months back from vendor in China. He quoted, if I remember correctly, approx $250 for 800-900 prewired 12v flashing LEDs in various colors.

Example: 50x 5mm Red Green Blue Yellow White Wide Angle Flat Top LED Pre Wired 9V 12V 24V | eBay

I would go this route. I think you'll be much happier. Just my two cents...

If you have tried it I will take your word for it, I just wondered why the Christmas light LEDs would be any different to the stand alones (what was it that put you off when you did it?).

I had originally looked at exactly that same thing as it happens, though I found them in china:

Wholesale Light Beads - Buy 3mm Red LEDs Pre Wired Led 12V Lamp Bulb Good Quality, $0.2 | DHgate

which would be pretty cheap! My concern is reading around on the internet is putting together a circuit for this many leds. MIght be a case for asking for help!

Those tiny strings are battery powered Christmas LEDs that I converted to plug-in. Those will all eventually be yanked along with ALL the blue and white tiles. :)

Hi Gang,

I picked up the instrument panels from MGLs. I'll be doing some reconstructive surgery along with removing ALL the LEDs and other sorts of goodies...

I'm removing the old rockers in favor of the screen accurate 3D printed / molded rockers
20140131_053014_zps099d2c02.jpg

20140131_053006_zps02dcbf45.jpg

Note how much better the new matte box looks! Not adhered in place yet. Still needs paint
20140131_052606_zpsa9e27b38.jpg

20140131_052616_zps0c570b71.jpg

20140131_052624_zpsda48fee2.jpg

I'll be removing these static knobs and replacing them with real rotary knobs! Who knows what they might control! :)
20140131_052635_zpse8d56076.jpg

Feels good to finally get back to it... There is A LOT of work to do on the back sides under the back boxes in order for all the LED wiring to fit properly and not pinch. I have to really think it through... :)

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:
were the original lights flush with panels or did they stand out? You did say you were going to replace those tiles with some 3mm acrylic sheeting (presumably so they can be back lit), where are you getting them, originally you mentioned some local firm was going to custom make them? This is the only bit I can't find at the moment?

Love your console though it is still inspiring me to search each day and favourite a load of stuff in prep for ordering and building.

were the original lights flush with panels or did they stand out? You did say you were going to replace those tiles with some 3mm acrylic sheeting (presumably so they can be back lit), where are you getting them, originally you mentioned some local firm was going to custom make them? This is the only bit I can't find at the moment?

Love your console though it is still inspiring me to search each day and favourite a load of stuff in prep for ordering and building.

Hi C,

Which lights are you refering? The large round panel lights?

Yup, the square glass tiles will be replaced with 3mm acrylic tiles that will be cut at the lab and they will be back lit. It's going to be a HUGE undertaking but we're "ready for anything". ;)

Hi C,

Which lights are you refering? The large round panel lights?

Yup, the square glass tiles will be replaced with 3mm acrylic tiles that will be cut at the lab and they will be back lit. It's going to be a HUGE undertaking but we're "ready for anything". ;)

Sorry I meant the small lights, we would now use LEDs but I am guessing they didn't?

I was reading yesterday where your neighbours son was around playing the in the cockpit flicking switches, I have to say my daughter was watching ESB in the car, and we were laughing because I could pretty much quote word for word all the dialog in parts. We were then pretending to be in the spaceship pressing buttons and going to lightspeed (no I didn't go faster lol).

If I win the lottery I will be coming to build it with you (I doubt we could build a full size falcon in the UK with our planning laws).

Sorry I meant the small lights, we would now use LEDs but I am guessing they didn't?

I was reading yesterday where your neighbours son was around playing the in the cockpit flicking switches, I have to say my daughter was watching ESB in the car, and we were laughing because I could pretty much quote word for word all the dialog in parts. We were then pretending to be in the spaceship pressing buttons and going to lightspeed (no I didn't go faster lol).

If I win the lottery I will be coming to build it with you (I doubt we could build a full size falcon in the UK with our planning laws).

It's tough to say what they used back in the 70s - I'm not a lighting expert by any means. I know the cockpit panel 3mm tiles were all backlit with a few large bulbs. I can only assume the rest were all individual bulbs wired to a specific flash pattern. We're going to use all LEDs. I have to prep the panels to not only accept the LEDs but I have make there is enough space for wiring...

I think it's great daughter is a SW fan. Give her a big high five for me. And if you win the lottery... you and the family are more than welcome to join in! :)

OK cheers, how many tiles are you estimating at? I am going to have to plan mine out but I would have thought a couple of hundred of white and blue would be about right for my needs but for you I can imagine way more? Has Steve put up picture of the whole of the interior section by section, so you could work out the panels?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back