Second Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver

Hey guys, check out what I just bought off of eBay:
20adrmt.jpg

It LOOKS like it uses the same body shape from the Gem Grading Light I posted way back but the end cap and button are a lot different. The pocket clip is integraded like what it seems to be on the one in those stills. Not a perfect match and the FIAT logo needs to be removed but I think this will make a great stand in for my 2nd Doctor's sonic screwdriver with some mods. Still looking for that one I found though with the blue plastic grip but no luck yet. Still this one makes a fine consolation prize. Hopefully I can remove the logo with acetone or paint over it. I'll let you know and post a pic when it arrives.

Look forward to seeing how it ends up. :)

Thanks Orange...errrrr, Michael. XD Still getting used to the name change. XD It should be an easy mod to just remove the Fiat logo from it but I'm hoping they didn't paint it silver and instead anodized it and I won't have to buff it out or something XD I'm also hoping that it's more durable than that Gem Grading Light I have bcause that is NOT like the old lights from the 60's 70's and 80's XD Picks up dings SO easily and looks a mess. XD

OK I think I found a project that could come out ok.

While in a vendor meeting looking at the free stuff they gave me thinking "how could I make a prop out of this" (thanks RPF for doing this to me). I realized while taking it apart that this could become a Second Doctors Sonic !!!! So when I got home I looked up this thread and realized I am close.

OvhKh.png

Now this weekend I will make a search for a small silver tube. I will be looking for a seamless metal one my quick thoughts are to go by ...
1. Home Depot / Lowe's
2. RC Hobby Store / Hobby Store
3. Michaels / Hobby Lobby

Any other usual suspects you guys use while trying to find small metal bits ??

Thanks
rich

OK I think I found a project that could come out ok.

While in a vendor meeting looking at the free stuff they gave me thinking "how could I make a prop out of this" (thanks RPF for doing this to me). I realized while taking it apart that this could become a Second Doctors Sonic !!!! So when I got home I looked up this thread and realized I am close.

OvhKh.png

Now this weekend I will make a search for a small silver tube. I will be looking for a seamless metal one my quick thoughts are to go by ...
1. Home Depot / Lowe's
2. RC Hobby Store / Hobby Store
3. Michaels / Hobby Lobby

Any other usual suspects you guys use while trying to find small metal bits ??

Thanks
rich

Wanna know what it would make even better than a 2nd Doctors sonic?

npgheg.jpg

The 3rd Doctor's makeshift hypnosis mirror.

Wanna know what it would make even better than a 2nd Doctors sonic?

The 3rd Doctor's makeshift hypnosis mirror.

Holy Smokes that is so a good suggestion.
I will now be back at work trading a team member for a second one.
I now have three projects to work on during Christmas Break !!

Thanks for the suggestion
Rich

Holy Smokes that is so a good suggestion.
I will now be back at work trading a team member for a second one.
I now have three projects to work on during Christmas Break !!

Thanks for the suggestion
Rich

No problem. I made those stills some time ago to prove to someone that the mirror was not the sonic screwdriver with an attachment on the end. You can even see the pocket clip in one shot.

Well guys, it arrived yesterday and after spending a few minutes removing the blue FIAT logo with the judicious application of acetone and a bit of spring replacement and a new LED bulb replacement I have my 2nd Doctor's pen torch sonic screwdriver:

zl2a2f.jpg

29xtzye.jpg

The end cap is quite nice and I was correct that the basic buld is indeed like the gem grading light from earlier buuut the main body is a bit shorter to fit the longer end cap. There is no locking feature that you can twist to keep it on either. From the trial with the original spring it seems the button can be pushed in rather far and then pushed to one side to the hole catches on the stepped part of the button keeping it on...I don't care for that so by replacing the springs the button now doesn't depress as far meaning it doesn't feel as hollow when you push it.

And here it is with the rest of the family:

14v0k1c.jpg

Just waiting for a 5th Doctor's sonic to modify and I'll have pretty much all the classic sonic screwdrivers.

Inorite? I'm pretty pleased with this find. Hopefully I can use this as a base to make a decent replica we can all have in our collection until the other penlight I found can be located. Honestly I have some build ideas in mind that would make a version of this with thicker materials, hidden threads, accurate tip and a slightly more industrial look to it. Maybe Russ would take a stab at it. Then all my classic series sonics will be an RB Replicas piece XD

Wld love one of the pertwee spinny things has anyone made one? Is there a thread for it?

I don't think there is though it looks very simple. A flexy light with a pocket clip and a rigged mirror for the end. XD Just keep the flexy part straight and you got what they used.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back