About the "Midway" Sonic Screwdriver (for the Sonic Screwdriver contest)

CB2001

Master Member
Sonic2.jpg
Sonic3.jpg

Allow me to introduce to you, "The Midway" Sonic Screwdriver, the Sonic Screwdriver I constructed for the contest.

Idea: You're probably wondering why I refer to this as "The Midway." Well, basically, it's a simple idea. I'm not sure how many people remember the 1996 TV movie, and I am also not sure about if any "Doctor Who" fans consider the movie as canon to the series, but it did aid in the creation of this Sonic Screwdriver.

Basically, a lot of time apparent went by between the Eighth incarnation of the Doctor and the Ninth. And there's a lot of stories that involved the Eighth Doctor before he eventually became the Ninth that shows up at the start of the newer series. But out of all the things that was never explained, there was no explanation for the change from the classical style Sonic Screwdriver the Doctor used (which was present in the TV movie) to the new design in the new series, especially story wise (especially since the TARDIS's interior had a major overhaul in the TV movie).

So, the basic idea of The Midway is that somewhere between the TV movie and the start of the new series, the Doctor decided to try a new design in his Sonic Screwdriver that was a design that was midway between the classic and the new.

How it works (on a fictional level): Basically, the base of the Midway is an adjustable knob that allows for the Sonic Screwdriver to be used two handed or one handed. You're probably wondering, "How can you take it out or hold it without it turning on?" Simple: The design includes a "plate" sensor that would allow for the Midway to activate when needed and not activate when not needed. It's not only on the base where the knob is, but its also on the mid section under the "head" of the so that it can can be held multiple ways.

How it was constructed (in the real world): I couldn't come up with a drawing design, but I built from the gut (basically, I looked around for pieces and I instinctively figured out which pieces to use). Basically, I had a small collection of various small plastic containers that I tried to find "matches." Basically, the body consists of a glue stick container, a piece of a plastic cigar joint container I found lying around and a travel container for Advil. The knob uses the lid from the Advil container. For the "head" consists of a plastic plug (for the neck), a piece of PVC piping (the "head") and the lid of a Super Glue container for the "face." The "sensor plates" use pieces of a plastic "For Sale" sign and, due to the lack of an availability of a rivet gun, I had to use thumb tacks to hold the pieces in place (the circular doodads that one user stated he liked because it reminded him of the early TARDIS design). Basically, the design is completely stationary with one moveable part, much like the old Sonic Screwdriver was, but reflects the one directional position that the new Sonic Screwdriver has. In short, you get a bit of the old and new design in concept, though not in full practice.

The sonic was painted silver with Dupli-Color automotive paint.

Trivia During Construction:
At one point, the body of a long tube of Super Glue was considered for being part of the body of the Midway. I also considered on taking a Comcast pen I own and cannibalizing it for the base of a new series-inspired Sonic Screwdriver.

Originally considered on having a design even more close to the original and incorporating smaller details from the new series Sonic Screwdriver for the design.

Attempted to build the Screwdriver's existing pieces over a Pocket LED flashlight, but due to the size of the pieces, the flashlight wouldn't fit.

Considered on cannibalizing a resin copy of the classic Sonic Screwdriver at one point, but decided against it.

At one point, had considered on having the head adjustable where someone could adjust the head from 180 degrees to 90 degrees. But due to parts available, decided to stick with a simple stationary head design.

Though I finally settled on calling it "The Midway", I had considered on nicknaming it "Sarah Jane", "Tom" (after Tom Baker, the 4th Doctor) and "Billie" (after Billie Piper, who played Rose Tyler).

If there are any additional questions in relation to this Sonic Screwdriver, let me know. As I've stated before, I have considered on redoing the Sonic Screwdriver, and not include the thumbtacks and using rivets to hold the "sensor plates in place.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back