Westworld (HBO)

Here's something I have been wondering, we have never seen a guest accidentally shoot at a guest. In this episode, the man in black shoots two hosts but there were two guests in the same posse, was it random luck or does he know how to tell?

I have a bad feeling about this..........show.

====Possible Spoilers Below====

I'm 4 Eps in and I get the feeling it's going to be like Lost. It's holding my attention for now. The girls are starting to realise their world is fake and essentially so are they, Hannibal Lecter has some grand plan that is slowly revealing, Ed Harris is looking for something special inside the park, so in essence it's not to bad a show, but once the curtain is fully pulled back, it will be rinse and repeat time where it becomes convoluted and inane....like Lost.

That's why these shows that want to drag on for 6 years, should really be good single movies with the potential for great sequels.

Mr Robot and House of Cards are prime examples of single seasons that should have ended or been films. Mr Robot was a brilliant first season (movie) and now it's rinse and repeat drivel. House of Cards had a powerful first season and now it's sociopathic nonsense.

Anyway, just my observation and opinion......but just so you know, The Man in Black IS actually Arnold;)

I have a bad feeling about this..........show.

====Possible Spoilers Below====

I'm 4 Eps in and I get the feeling it's going to be like Lost. It's holding my attention for now. The girls are starting to realise their world is fake and essentially so are they, Hannibal Lecter has some grand plan that is slowly revealing, Ed Harris is looking for something special inside the park, so in essence it's not to bad a show, but once the curtain is fully pulled back, it will be rinse and repeat time where it becomes convoluted and inane....like Lost.

That's why these shows that want to drag on for 6 years, should really be good single movies with the potential for great sequels.

Mr Robot and House of Cards are prime examples of single seasons that should have ended or been films. Mr Robot was a brilliant first season (movie) and now it's rinse and repeat drivel. House of Cards had a powerful first season and now it's sociopathic nonsense.

Anyway, just my observation and opinion......but just so you know, The Man in Black IS actually Arnold;)

I'd be interested to know how you know that The Man in Black is Arnold?

Here's something I have been wondering, we have never seen a guest accidentally shoot at a guest. In this episode, the man in black shoots two hosts but there were two guests in the same posse, was it random luck or does he know how to tell?

I think the man in black has been there so long he's probably killed every host more than once, so he knows them all. Of course he was surprised to come across the girl with the snake tattoo for the first time.

I'd be interested to know how you know that The Man in Black is Arnold?

And we have already seen a pic of him and how would other people know his face and foundation if he has maybe been hiding in the park? He clearly is a known quantity in the "real world".

- - - Updated - - -

I think the man in black has been there so long he's probably killed every host more than once, so he knows them all. Of course he was surprised to come across the girl with the snake tattoo for the first time.

I think the girl has been added as part of the new story line being written.

And we have already seen a pic of him and how would other people know his face and foundation if he has maybe been hiding in the park? He clearly is a known quantity in the "real world".

There's also Nolan himself. For most of the questions that ask about what we'll see in future episodes of the show he's very vague, using phrases like "I wouldn't assume anything," and things like that. However, when asked about Arnold he was pretty straightforward...

EW.com Interview with Nolan and Joy said:
We also learned about Arnold in this episode. Is there any chance we’ll ever see Arnold, in any form?
Nolan: I think that’s unlikely.

Going by the way he's answered questions in these interviews, if the MiB were Arnold, I think we would have seen a much different answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm enjoying it so far. The only issue I have is Sidse Babett Knudsen's acting. Am I the only one who thinks she is terrible in this? Especially in contrast with Hopkins and Harris. Takes me out of the show every time she's in a scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like her, I like all the actors. I also like how all the employees of WW are usually swearing at each other. It's an interesting insight into their workplace. They effectively live together and their relationships are more like a dysfunctional family then a professional work environment.

Evan Rachel Wood is absolutely blowing me away with her acting. Her debriefings with Bernard are amazing. That she can go from being on the verge of hysteria from perfectly calm and controlled like flipping a switch is just amazing to me. She had best get more work based on her performances here.

Totally agree, and when she's using her southern Drawl she sounds just like Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs. In fact I think she'd make a great Clarice Starling.

We've already seen one photo of Arnold:

jJVvYFm.jpg

In a crazy role-reversal twist.... what if the the hosts were actually the humans that have been "programmed" and the staff are actually the robots.
The hosts bleed and cry and emote and have memories... like humans.
The humans can't be hurt by bullets.... more like what you'd expect from a robot.

It's a long shot.... just throwing around ideas.

The interaction between Ford and Cullen was wild. How he stops all of the hosts with a simple cue. You see how rattled she gets when all the hosts are frozen. He really showed a menacing side when he told he "I will ask you... nicely... please, don't get in my way." He must have seen her as a threat, but he has been at it long enough to know how to play everyone. Hopkins is awesome in this. He has that arrogance that he showed in The Edge, but he;s holding back a lot.

It seems like as the show moves forward the things going on the park aren't being reset as quick as they were, unless we're just seeing things play out during different phases of the same story.

When the Man in Black finds Teddy strung up in the tree.... has he been there since his first encounter with Wyatt when the new narrative was put into play, or was the Man in Black just walking into a part that had already played out at least once already? We see around the same time the shootout in town play out at least a second time.

We also see the park controllers have quite a bit of control over "props" in the park when the cigars end up being explosives and they can jam weapons.

For me "Westworld" isn't working anymore. The premise was great and the first episode was the best opener on TV this year. But, the last two episodes left me reaching for my Ipad, everything is moving sooo slow with plotpoints being repeated over and over and lengthy dialogs that lead nowhere. And, what has happened with the loops? How come some host suddenly doesn't loop anymore? It's against the original premise and frankly ruins the story.

For me "Westworld" isn't working anymore. The premise was great and the first episode was the best opener on TV this year. But, the last two episodes left me reaching for my Ipad, everything is moving sooo slow with plotpoints being repeated over and over and lengthy dialogs that lead nowhere. And, what has happened with the loops? How come some host suddenly doesn't loop anymore? It's against the original premise and frankly ruins the story.

Ummm...the whole point of the show is that the hosts are becoming aware of what exactly they are, and are starting to go off of their loops.

There's not much point to telling a story about robots becoming self-aware if said robots just continue running the program that they have always run.

There's also a major story reason that a lot of hosts are going off loop, as Ford is taking whatever resource he feels like to complete his new area...the concept of the show was never to show how humans might enjoy or get in danger within the set loops, but rather how the hosts may find their way to "freedom"...and adding in the fact that Bernie is also quite literally dabbling with Dolores programming behind everyone elses backs.

You're essentially going off the show because of what the show is? Which is fair enough, but it hasn't changed its premise.

I thought that was clever showing repeat loops. You see the characters in a new light. The villain who's only purpose is to go into town and kill is given some depth with the MIB sending him to open the safe. And characters who on the surface seem useless are finding new found purpose as well

Ummm...the whole point of the show is that the hosts are becoming aware of what exactly they are, and are starting to go off of their loops.

There's not much point to telling a story about robots becoming self-aware if said robots just continue running the program that they have always run.

You're absolutely right. And the way Maeves story is told is a great way to do it. But Dolores and Lawrence? Dolores might as well be a guest at this point, and how is it possible to move her to the office for a chat without the guest noticing? Lawrence loop is broken but noone seems to mind, certainly not Lawrence who just continues like nothing happened.

Too many liberties are taken with the premise established in episode one and the the questions keep piling up. Yet we have the same exposition over and over again which doesn't lead to any answers. It seems it's "Lost" all over again. I think I made it to episode seven of that show before I gave up, let's see if "Westworld" can do better.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back