The Last of Us (HBO Max)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea the show is not good . Second episode falling asleep no action at all . The girl ruins anything that’s good about it she’s a terrible actress Looks nothing like the girl in the game . Terrible casting .

I'm jumping in completely cold, but so far cautiously enjoying it. Feels like decent post-apocalyptic worldbuilding, and the whole fungus premise facilitates both added believability and uniquely creepy visuals. The "boredom punctuated by terror" pacing seems realistic to me.

As far as characters, I'm also wavering a bit on Ellie. For the most part I think the performance is fine; there are just individual moments - most often her snarky retorts - that don't always feel entirely consistent or appropriate to the circumstances. Hoping that'll smooth out.

Anyone else see Mal Reynolds in Joel?

As far as characters, I'm also wavering a bit on Ellie. For the most part I think the performance is fine; there are just individual moments - most often her snarky retorts - that don't always feel entirely consistent or appropriate to the circumstances. Hoping that'll smooth out.
I agree with you here, she was starting to get on my nerves this episode, which she never did in the game. There were multiple snarky lines that felt out of place and her performance hasn't won me over yet. In fact I think I'm losing faith in it.

This episode confirmed for me the game is still far superior. Maybe it was just me, but the end scene with them in the rotunda didn't hit nearly as hard as it does in the game. I remember the way Troy Baker delivers the "it is OVER, Tess!" line genuinely takes the air out of your lungs as an audience member, but here this whole scene fell flat for me. Not that I want or expect Pascal to be copying Baker's performance...rather, I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of chemistry between Pascal and Torv, and the pacing which seems to be glossing over some of the bigger moments. For example, I thought it was odd how the Ellie bite reveal after they leave the QZ was downplayed in the show. They really make a meal of that moment in the game, but in the show it's almost happening entirely in the background of the scene and they rush through it. Same thing with the scene this episode. They're missing a level of heft that I think it vital they have.

That being said, I do really enjoy these new elements they've added so far. The cold open in Jakarta was gripping and really unsettling, and the mouth tendrils and the hive-mind organism community is really great. The "step on a vine and wake up the whole army" thing has been done before, but it's an interesting approach in this world that makes for some good conflict and drama. And man, the clickers! Sound design, actor movements...they nailed those at least. And some of the set pieces this episode were dead on to the game — the flooded hotel and the museum (especially the exterior), so kudos to the production design team.

Last edited:
After watching the whole episode I am tossing in the towel . The dumb look on Ellie’s Face and then the close up like its supposed to be a pivotal moment her making stupid faces . Sitting threw last nights episode was painful .
There is nothing good about this train wreck.
At least HALO could have been good this was DOOMED from the start . You are getting rushed by a massive hoard and you don’t make sure the lighter works before hand ?
Why didnt she just pull the pin on one of the many grenades she had on hand ? Another BASIC thing that you do in the game or ANY game is pick up ammo and other weapons as you go . Has this guy ever once done that ?

I mean what is this “COMMANDO “ Has his Magazine ever had to be replaced ?
The building was heaving with extra weapons and ammo it was like it wasn’t even a thought to take one more pistol or a grenade or magazine before heading out into the city ?
It’s ok we have Ellies dumb face and my one magazine I have had for who knows how long we got this covered? The character development sucks . Are these writers actually getting paid for this steaming pile of crap? Don’t these idiots understand when you show someone trying to find ammo and other guns frantically while hearing zombies in the distance coming it builds tension ? Good old Pascals acting in this sucks . The character in the game had real emotions you felt it and fed off of it . Another piece of garbage and a lost opportunity to make an awesome show.

After watching the whole episode I am tossing in the towel . The dumb look on Ellie’s Face and then the close up like its supposed to be a pivotal moment her making stupid faces . Sitting threw last nights episode was painful .
There is nothing good about this train wreck.
At least HALO could have been good this was DOOMED from the start . You are getting rushed by a massive hoard and you don’t make sure the lighter works before hand ?
Why didnt she just pull the pin on one of the many grenades she had on hand ? Another BASIC thing that you do in the game or ANY game is pick up ammo and other weapons as you go . Has this guy ever once done that ?

I mean what is this “COMMANDO “ Has his Magazine ever had to be replaced ?
The building was heaving with extra weapons and ammo it was like it wasn’t even a thought to take one more pistol or a grenade or magazine before heading out into the city ?
It’s ok we have Ellies dumb face and my one magazine I have had for who knows how long we got this covered? The character development sucks . Are these writers actually getting paid for this steaming pile of crap? Don’t these idiots understand when you show someone trying to find ammo and other guns frantically while hearing zombies in the distance coming it builds tension ? Good old Pascals acting in this sucks . The character in the game had real emotions you felt it and fed off of it . Another piece of garbage and a lost opportunity to make an awesome show.
COMMANDO <> MANDO

Ha, glad I'm not the only one who had this thought. I was practically screaming at my TV "PICK UP A GRENADE!"
The writing and directing is god awful . The director nor the writers have any clue how to make something feel authentic . How do these people get jobs in this failing pathetic industry ? I mean ok you're not a "gamer" it doesn't matter. Watch Aliens FOR 5 MINUTES or Predator ! After the crash they police up weapons and set up a defensive stragedy for what was coming. That makes you feel like saying "yea I would have done that or good idea "and you get into it and the characters because they give a sh** . You don't need 45 mins either you can do these in seconds running around screaming "get the weapons and ammo fast !!! They didn't even bother to lock the door or PUSH the drums against the door to blow it as they were coming in lol . Does anyone in this disgrace of a show have an imagination ? Or try and think what would you actually do in a real world situation like this ? No they would rather show a building blow up sort of and another 5 min close up of her stupid looking expression less face again and fade out . REAL compelling stuff ! I could walk on that set and have this show heaving with whoop ass and fans screaming yes!!!! lol

Last edited:
I didn't notice it while watching this episode, but that is a good point. The game is all about scrounging for resources, you're lucky if you ever have a full magazine and you have to make every shot count. I loved the detail in the first episode when Joel asks for the plastic bag back after the drug deal because it shows how scarce resources are in this world, but they haven't shown that at all when it comes to ammunition. Joel empties all his rounds into the clicker at the end of the museum segment and I thought "yikes, better go search for some bullets or you'll be in trouble later!" Lo and behold they come upon a Firefly stash and nobody thinks to see if there's any extra ammo or weapons they can take.

Hopefully that's remedied in the coming episodes. In the game you do stock up when you get to Bill's, at least.

I agree with you here, she was starting to get on my nerves this episode, which she never did in the game. There were multiple snarky lines that felt out of place and her performance hasn't won me over yet. In fact I think I'm losing faith in it.

This episode confirmed for me the game is still far superior. Maybe it was just me, but the end scene with them in the rotunda didn't hit nearly as hard as it does in the game. I remember the way Troy Baker delivers the "it is OVER, Tess!" line genuinely takes the air out of your lungs as an audience member, but here this whole scene fell flat for me. Not that I want or expect Pascal to be copying Baker's performance...rather, I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of chemistry between Pascal and Torv, and the pacing which seems to be glossing over some of the bigger moments. For example, I thought it was odd how the Ellie bite reveal after they leave the QZ was downplayed in the show. They really make a meal of that moment in the game, but in the show it's almost happening entirely in the background of the scene and they rush through it. Same thing with the scene this episode. They're missing a level of heft that I think it vital they have.

That being said, I do really enjoy these new elements they've added so far. The cold open in Jakarta was gripping and really unsettling, and the mouth tendrils and the hive-mind organism community is really great. The "step on a vine and wake up the whole army" thing has been done before, but it's an interesting approach in this world that makes for some good conflict and drama. And man, the clickers! Sound design, actor movements...they nailed those at least. And some of the set pieces this episode were dead on to the game — the flooded hotel and the museum (especially the exterior), so kudos to the production design team.
Bella Ramsey is still the one member of the cast I have my reservations about, which isn't a good sign. Honestly, I think I'd have preferred the actress who played Sarah - she was stellar in the opener.

I think they're definitely trying to paint Joel in a softer light for the show than the game. Early Joel in-game was a ruthless survivor. Outside of his love for Tess and their relationship, he was not going to be persuaded to go west with Ellie, so that chemistry really comes through in the game. However, the "Tommy is missing" storyline coupled with what was effectively an "its complicated" response to Ellie about their relationship in the show makes Tess more of an afterthought, i.e. he was leaving the QZ with or without her anyways.

Agree on the new elements. The HBO Max companion guide addressed the hive-mind approach, basically saying they didn't think they could sell the "spore cloud areas" given how easily things travel airborne, and I imagine that would pose some filming challenges as well. While I really like what the mouth tendrils do for added effect, I thought Tess just standing there for the world's grossest French kiss with grenades laying everywhere to really break me out of suspended disbelief.

Only issue I've had with the props dept. so far is the atrocious weathering on the AR's. Way too much and in all the wrong places, even for a 20 Y/O gun that's been drug through the mud regularly.

Qtoz9DU.jpg

Why didnt she just pull the pin on one of the many grenades she had on hand ?
Anybody with grenade experience? Is a frag grenade guaranteed to ignite freshly-pooled gasoline and/or detonate surrounding grenades?
I’m not doubting that it’s possible; just curious if a partial explanation could be that a lighter flame was the more assured method.

I loved the detail in the first episode when Joel asks for the plastic bag back after the drug deal because it shows how scarce resources are in this world, but they haven't shown that at all when it comes to ammunition.
Also loved the plastic bag line.

Fair point about ammo in a game context. It’s such a ubiquitous film trope that I gave up worrying about it ages ago, but as an adaptation of a shooter game, an emphasis on conservation/replenishment is probably warranted.

I chalked a lot of the final scene off to high emotions – suddenly coming to terms with a loved one’s / one’s own imminent demise. Though I was a little disappointed my prediction didn’t come true… After Joel’s 2nd or 3rd refusal to give Ellie a gun, I thought Tess would begin to turn and Joel would try to dispatch her but struggle to find the nerve, ultimately handing the job off to Ellie.

I wasn't too hung up on the ammo front up to this point. Joel and Tess were reputable smugglers with FEDRA connections, so its not too far fetched that they could have had a decent little ammo stockpile. However, I would expect a little more caution the further they travel from home and the more time elapses.

I have not played the game, nor do I know anything about the story line of the game so I can't speak to how well it translated the game

Maybe it is because I know it comes from a game, but, watching that first episode there were many times where I felt like I was watching a first person shooter style game. A lot of the action and the way things were filmed felt like something straight from a game
Maybe that was intentional, or maybe just my bias from knowing it was a video game

Not sure if it is a good or bad thing yet. Have to watch a few more probably

I’ll take the heat. ;) Regardless of all these points, I do think it’s a fun watch!

Maybe that was intentional, or maybe just my bias from knowing it was a video game
In one review I read, the reviewer (who seemed familiar with the game) took it as intentional. He also pointed out that the "breakout" and mass panic in the streets was lifted directly from the game, even the dialog, so much of the way that scene is shot is deliberate.

Has anyone here been able to identify Joel's backpack? Fairly certain I've ID'd the rest of his clothes, but the pack is still an unknown.

My only complaint so far, and I expected this from seeing the trailers, is I'm not loving the cinematography. It lacks a certain "cinematic" quality to it that the game itself has. The lighting and vibrancy of the color palette in many sequences gives off a slightly cheap, lower-budget TV show look, especially in the quarantine zone.

Yep, 100%. I'm honestly surprised this kind of observation isn't more widespread, because as you say, it was already noticeable in the trailers.

There is an odd TV movie quality to it all, the production value just isn't up there. Especially when compared to the games, which have a pretty big visual scope and superb art direction. They were mimicking the style of Emmanuel Lubezki in movies like The Revenant, and the attention to detail in props and environment design is out of this world. The production design on the show, while not poor by any means, simply doesn't live up to it. Every other shot feels like they're walking over obvious set dressing or leaning against a fake brick wall. The color palette and camera work isn't as refined either, with some alt shots and compositions slightly messing up choices that were already perfect in the game to begin with. This is not a matter of being used to something either, there are instances of close ups turned into medium shots that just weaken the emotional impact of the original shot.

I imagine it must be because it's a TV show after all. The car ride in the middle of the night from the first episode probably should've been shot in a single take a la Children of Men, since they're being faithful to an original gameplay section that clearly borrows from it, but that would've likely been logistically prohibitive for a 9 hour long production.

That said, it's a good show. Calling it the best game adaptation isn't saying much, but I hope at least it once and for all shows that if you want good movies or TV shows based on the games, you first need to pick games that actually have enough meat to be turned into anything remotely interesting in film form. Like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back