The Last of Us (HBO Max)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its kinda weird, how normally its CGI trying to be real but not quite that creates uncanny valley, but the game actually had such good visuals and being used to them and how they look, it makes this actual real footage have an uncanny valley feel. Funny how that works.
The girl doesn't really look like Ellie that much though.
I very rarely watch shows anymore, so leaning on that side of probably won't ever see it, but guess you never know....but I still wish it to be good.
So is it actually following the game part by part, or will it be a bit how the walking Dead TV show mostly followed the comic, but still strayed here and there and did its own thing?
I actually watched TWD til season 7 (I think) where they had just caught Negan. Then I moved and just never got back into anything tv really.

Haven't ever owned a Playstation, so I haven't played the game. Heard enough about it that...yeah, I'm gonna pass on this. I skipped The Road, too. But I also don't get why you'd make a movie of what's essentially already an interactive movie.

Loved the game and I am excited for this show! It's apparently following the events of The Last Of Us Part 1, which is cool, but the game does so well telling that story already. I would have liked to see the events that happened between TLOU Part 1 and TLOU Part 2 as a show instead.

Haven't ever owned a Playstation, so I haven't played the game. Heard enough about it that...yeah, I'm gonna pass on this. I skipped The Road, too. But I also don't get why you'd make a movie of what's essentially already an interactive movie.
The Road is a great movie, still very dark and pessimistic.

You mean the game that’s on its third or fourth “remastering” because it’s so popular it’ll sell over and over again, even with minimal changes?
Just because a game is remastered doesnt mean its good. People love RDR2 and while it is a technical marvel with a great story, its gameplay is mediocre.

The Last of Us is popular because of its decent story for a video game and good character development, especially the relationship between Joel and Ellie (which is a contributing factor to why many hated part 2). However, as a game, its mediocre. Its basically RE4:s combat engine but stripping away alot of mechanics that makes the game "fun."

This should be an easy tv show to make good. Just make the road and add zombies. There arnt that many clickers in the game and runners/stalkers are basically zombies so makeup shouldnt be a big issue.

EDIT: Its also only been remastered twice, the second time really for the PC crowd since its the exact same game and many reviewers mentioned the "remake" (remaster in disguise) is only for people who havent played it (aka non Playstation gamers) or hardcore fans that just need to consume anything TLoU. If we want to talk about ridiculous remasters/re-releases, lets save that for Skyrim.

Last edited:
The Road is a great movie, still very dark and pessimistic.
So I've heard. Just not really my thing these days, though. I enjoy some post apocalyptic stuff, but The Road sounds like it wallows in human cruelty and terribleness in ways that I'm just not really interested in viewing in my spare time. That said, I've heard it's amazingly well done for what it does, so this isn't to claim it's a bad movie or book by any stretch. More like "Yeah, I recognize that this is the best Thai restaurant in town, but my palate just cannot handle food that spicy."
Just because a game is remastered doesnt mean its good. People love RDR2 and while it is a technical marvel with a great story, its gameplay is mediocre.
I have ALWAYS felt this about Rockstar's games. As technological achievements, they're astounding. As stories, they're pretty good. As actual games, it's always been a mixed bag. I thought GTA4 was a glorified tech demo that was a mile wide and an inch deep with dogsh** controls. I enjoyed the vibe of L.A. Noire, but again found the controls in the game to be pretty lacking, and I still didn't find it especially deep, but it had also lost the breadth of GTA4 in terms of side activities you could opt to do. I started RDR2 and thought it visually gorgeous, but I find their control scheme to be still pretty clunky.
The Last of Us is popular because of its decent story for a video game and good character development, especially the relationship between Joel and Ellie (which is a contributing factor to why many hated part 2). However, as a game, its mediocre. Its basically RE4:s combat engine but stripping away alot of mechanics that makes the game "fun."

This should be an easy tv show to make good. Just make the road and add zombies. There arnt that many clickers in the game and runners/stalkers are basically zombies so makeup shouldnt be a big issue.
I kinda wonder what the public appetite for this type of material is these days, though, to be honest. It feels like zombies is a very 2010s thing that has had its time and we've moved on. I bailed on The Walking Dead TV show around Glen's first fake "death" because the show seemed to lack direction and felt more like it was just spinning its wheels. I bailed on the comic when it felt like it was more about big splash panel pages and less about actually telling an interesting story and, again, had no clear direction. I can't remember the last time I played L4D1 or L4D2, I played through Dead Island 1 and enjoyed it but haven't been able to get myself interested enough to play Dead Island 2 nor to play Dead by Daylight. I never played any of the Dead Rising games and don't really care to. It just feels...meh. We did that already, and whatever new ground there was to tread (or shuffle aimlessly in search of BRAAAAAINS) has already been covered by the most recent wave of stuff.

I have ALWAYS felt this about Rockstar's games. As technological achievements, they're astounding. As stories, they're pretty good. As actual games, it's always been a mixed bag. I thought GTA4 was a glorified tech demo that was a mile wide and an inch deep with dogsh** controls. I enjoyed the vibe of L.A. Noire, but again found the controls in the game to be pretty lacking, and I still didn't find it especially deep, but it had also lost the breadth of GTA4 in terms of side activities you could opt to do. I started RDR2 and thought it visually gorgeous, but I find their control scheme to be still pretty clunky.
I admittedly have never played a GTA game (very recently got V so will finally try it out) but I agree that in regard to RDR2, it is very disappointing.

Apparently the clunky controls were done “on purpose” according to some reviewers and it can be made smoother by adjusting the control settings. The big drawback is the presence of auto aim however. The aiming controls arnt great which makes auto aim kind of necessary to play the game but auto aim makes the game too easy. Combine this with a game revolved around shooting with terrible hand to hand combat and you get a technical feat but substandard game when compared to something like Sleeping Dogs which did both gun and melee well.

I kinda wonder what the public appetite for this type of material is these days, though, to be honest. It feels like zombies is a very 2010s thing that has had its time and we've moved on. I bailed on The Walking Dead TV show around Glen's first fake "death" because the show seemed to lack direction and felt more like it was just spinning its wheels. I bailed on the comic when it felt like it was more about big splash panel pages and less about actually telling an interesting story and, again, had no clear direction. I can't remember the last time I played L4D1 or L4D2, I played through Dead Island 1 and enjoyed it but haven't been able to get myself interested enough to play Dead Island 2 nor to play Dead by Daylight. I never played any of the Dead Rising games and don't really care to. It just feels...meh. We did that already, and whatever new ground there was to tread (or shuffle aimlessly in search of BRAAAAAINS) has already been covered by the most recent wave of stuff.
This is a good point and something to be seen. The Last of Us has a good story for a video game which is not that high of a bar given that most video games are very typical chosen ones (since it provides a fun power fantasy for the player). In comparison to modern zombie entries, it doesnt add anything new. Maybe the ending which subverts expectations but thats about it.

mando.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back