Westworld (HBO)

Re: HBO gives us a "Westworld" remake as a series!

Here is a thought: do we know that the park is on planet earth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must be taking crazy pills. I think Sidse's acting is horrendous. I was pleased they killed the character, and disappointed it appears she will be back as a host.

I felt that she had been adequate in most of the series...not great, but not bad...but in the scene where she ended up realizing what was about to happen, I did think that she kind of stole the scene. Her fear seemed very real to me...and the range of emotions she went through in that few minutes was great.

So how do you explain William walking down a hallway and then suddenly on a train. That scene still blows my mind

The way I justify that scene in my mind is, you can see the light from the hallway drop down out of view. I think the train car (or maybe the whole train) is on a section of track below the surface. Once all the guests are loaded from their individual clean rooms, the train is raised to the surface.

Well that episode ending was certainly a twist.

But it still annoys me to no end that a major plot thread is driven by the two most incompetent, poorly written and badly acted characters in the entire story - the two engineers. If the writers were clever enough they could have focused more on Maeve's prowess instead of the ineptitude of these guys. It's just too convenient to let a series of improbable events be explained as the misdeeds of two stupid people. I have tan lines from the amount of facepalming that comes from watching what these guys do - how they ignore every opportunity to override Maeve, how they remain ignorant of the consequences of everything they do, how readily they follow orders from Maeve ... etc. Can't they even show them in a sequence outside of work discussing what they're going to do about this renegade host or what it could mean? Are they so completely idiotic that they can go home and believe everything will just magically work itself out? Or are the writers too myopic to consider that these two characters might have a life outside of the plot?

Maybe they are just covert hosts (like Cullen) programmed by Ford to be incompetent enough to provide the opportunity to see if Maeve can take the initiative for self-preservation. That's the only remotely plausible explanation. But, if that's the case, why did he have to program them with such bad acting?

Last edited:
So how do you explain William walking down a hallway and then suddenly on a train. That scene still blows my mind

I explain it as it's just edited that way because there was no point in showing some people standing around on a platform waiting for a train. So the story is edited in a way that shows William open one door, then the next time we see him he's coming through a different door. The time spent in between him going through these two doors was inconsequential to the story, so it's not shown.

Its no different than having a movie movie where characters are, say, on a ship and then in the next scene they are shown on land. We as viewers don't think that they magically teleported to land, and we don't suddenly believe everything in the movie is a holodeck...we believe that they got off of the ship, took a smaller boat to land, then walked/took a ride to their current location.

If the old hyperloop style monorail station where the guest first arrive to WestWorld is in fact underground. 86 floors underground to be exact. Then it makes sense in my mind that they would enter the old west train sections from their own personal dressing quarters and rise up to the surface similar to the elevators that we have seen. Maybe its on a rotating scaffold of some sort so each guest can enter the train car before it rises to the surface.

I must be taking crazy pills. I think Sidse's acting is horrendous. I was pleased they killed the character, and disappointed it appears she will be back as a host.
She's weakly acted and written but that's not unique to her character. I'm going to have to place much of the blame on the directors and writers than the actor because the problem seems so pervasive. I already described the two bozos in my last post.

Tessa Thompson as Charlotte also exceptionally weak. When your character is in a position of power it's a B-grade choice to play it with complete smugness especially when a female actor adds a touch of coyness. And that's all she does.

It's not the easiest thing to act in a series where you're not privy to your character's complete arc or significance in the big picture. But strong writing integrated with even stronger directing would be capable of remedying this to a great degree. That's not what appears to be happening here. The series had a strong start but even now a lot of the dialogue seems superfluous.

And now that they've played the "I didn't know this major character was a host" plot twist card I hope that's the last time we see that twist.

I thought of something else in regards to the holodeck idea...if the park were indeed a holodeck, I find it unlikely that Ford would need those gigantic earth movers and mining equipment to change the layout of the park. They'd just code it to look different, and wouldn't need to show any heavy machinery.

The Control Center is under the complex we've seen built into a mesa. There is a map for it on the Delos website.

They seem to walk onto a train car, and then something happens in the window behind them that makes it look like the train car goes UP. Happens when both William and Logan walk into the train car. Then there is some sound like a huge door opening and sunlight fillis the windows, when they were previously black.

My guess is, the guests all walk into that train car, probably over and over again all day, and the car lifts up and hooks to a train that's waiting. Then they leave.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back