My Completed Sonic Screwdriver Remote Control Conversion

I'm not going to lie, I'm physically in love with these Sonic replicas. Both beautiful and genius! Private message me with prices, P+P etc. Hopefully they're not drop dead expensive but I know they won't be cheap....maybe. Respect man! :D

Mine arrived today - lightning fast speed, he only shipped it Wednesday evening (the post office must have read the psychic energy coming from the shipping box and knew how badly I wanted this so they shipped it faster).
What can I say about this that hasn't already been said by other happy customers? It's brilliant! Finally, a proper replica of this sonic after waiting since 2010.
On the fence about getting one done? Give this man your money! Lol!
20130503_155855_zpsabea8897.jpg

Little help here...
All of a sudden, my emitter has no light - still getting sound. Could this be that the batteries need changed? Honestly, I've had the same batteries in the CO toy since I got it over a year and a half ago, just hoping something didn't break that needs repair...

Any reason the end cap is not glued to the handle piece? Ir slips off easily and it's not required to be a seperate piece to access the battery compartment.
Just wanted to ask ahead of time...

how did you strip the gloss part of the copper pieces before you used the steal wool? also after the steel wool do you have to buff it?

I first heated the pieces evenly with a butane lighter, this causes the coating to start lifting from the metal. I then let the pieces soak in a 40% solution of Zep Industrial Purple Degreaser for a about two hours frequently checking on the pieces - you dont want them to be in the bath any longer than they need to be. after the parts were stripped, I used 000 steel wool to give it the brushed look. No buffing afterwards. Hope that helps.

*Try at your own risk, the process described here worked for me, but this is far from a true and tested technique on my part. This was more of an experiment for my own personal sonic and has only been done once.

*edited the link

Last edited:
I first heated the pieces evenly with a butane lighter, this causes the coating to start lifting from the metal. I then let the pieces soak in a 40% solution of this stuff for a about two hours frequently checking on the pieces - you dont want them to be in the bath any longer than they need to be. after the parts were stripped, I used 000 steel wool to give it the brushed look. No buffing afterwards. Hope that helps.

*Try at your own risk, the process described here worked for me, but this is far from a true and tested technique on my part. This was more of an experiment for my own personal sonic and has only been done once.

May have to give that shot on mine, and PM sent to you.

the spring needed is 1/8 right?

That is correct. Though it should be noted that upon looking at the springs I used for the conversion, my girlfriend suggested that I use safety pins instead. They act on the same mechanical principle and are a fair bit cheaper. So yeah, if someone gives those a try, do let us know how they work out.

Last edited:
I'm just throwing it out there, not sure if I'll actually be doing it, but is what is the general opinion here about the white handle portion of the remote? The last few conversions I have done needed some serious prying when removing the white grip. They used to just slide off, but now the folks at the factory seem quite keen on gluing them in. So with that said, I am contemplating just casting the thing in white resin just so I can go nuts on that white handle when taking it off.

So, if you cast the thing, would that require extra moneys to pay for the resin? but saying that, could it just be a bad batch?

Last edited:
@CaptChuny: Yeah there is a possibility of just having made a bad batch of remotes with excess glue, though not having to worry about the damaging the handle when disassembling the remote is a secondary concern. I am more concerned about the color of said handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhhh, so your just worried that the resin won't be pure white?
my bad, I meant that my reason for casting the new handle is that I was not satisfied with the normal cream colored handle that comes with the remote. I have no worries that about the resin not turning out the way I want.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back