My Completed Sonic Screwdriver Remote Control Conversion

cheers, I am a new member and do not know how to get to this thread would it be possible for you to tell me how to get to the thread.

don't worry I have found out how to take it apart but what did you use to take the 4 pins out of the claws. I have got one of them out with an Allen key but it snapped.

It's roughly the same weight because you're just replacing plastic with plastic. Might be very slightly lighter.

Yep, Risu is right. The stock sonic weighs in at 6.9 oz and my converted sonic weighs in at 6.7 oz. So yeah, not much of a difference in weight.

My next question is about making new parts, specifically the hollow claws, which should be solid and the ring above the grip which should be tapered more.

The new parts made for this are the claw brackets, claw retainer ring, emitter and shaft/core. As for the claws, the only mods done are to shave down the side moldings to make room for the brackets. While inaccurate, I dont mind the claws being hollow in this case because I use that space for the torsion springs for the opening action of the sonic.

Kursosawa, I know I thanked you via PM, but figured it couldn't hurt to say it again. Thanks for putting this information out there and helping me out.

I'm currently stripping my spare CO toy and will be moving onto the remote next so hopefully I'll have a thread of my own soon enough.

I'm just curious, in your conversions, have you ever sanded down any of the copper parts to see just what's under there? I'm sure it's some sort of pot metal, but I'd be curious how deep we could sand into the surface before we lost the copper color. It would be useful for toning down the shine of the copper sections, or possibly even figuring out ways to modify them.

...if you haven't I might just have to try it on the inside of the ring that fits above the remote's battery compartment to see what I can find.

-Nick

Part of the conversion process involves me having to grind away at the inside walls of the pommel and from what I can tell, I would have to guess that its aluminum under the copper parts. As far as toning down the shine, I would try sanding off the clear coat that they put on the copper parts. That should expose the bare copper plating. Though it goes without saying, be careful not to sand off too much and get down to the bare aluminum. One of these days I might try the same process I use to strip the coating on pot metal portions on the copper parts and see how that goes.

One of these days I might try the same process I use to strip the coating on pot metal portions on the copper parts and see how that goes.

I was thinking of grabbing some 000 steel wool and doing exactly what you said, bite down into the clear coat a bit.

...I'll still start on the inside of that ring to test my technique, but think dulling down the copper and adding some texture with the steel wool could go a long way with the look of this thing. Give me a few weeks and I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm also considering epoxying the heads off of small brass nails to the copper cage too just to add a tiny extra bit of the screen accurate look, and to add some more texture to the piece overall.

Something tells me my first conversion won't be my last. I just have too many things I want to try. :lol

-Nick

The friction mainly comes from the black twist lock collar piece that holds the top and bottom half of the sonic together. As there is a fair amount of pressure on this piece, I trim it as little as possible for the purpose of structural integrity. Though after a while, a tiny bit of the surface of the green shaft is slowly shaved off by the pulling action, which will gradually make the flicking action easier.

Ok, so I just finished the latest ep, and the answer is yes I will be offering a red emitter lens to those who have purchased a sonic conversion from me in the past and it will be an additional option for those in the future.

This is all kinds of awesome! RPF ingenuity at its finest! (y)cool

Too bad Character Options doesn't have the good sense to make a line of high-end die-cast metal sonics for adult collectors, basically the Doctor Who equivalent of the MR/Hasbro Force FX Lightsabers. If CO did that, everyone that wants one could have a reasonably priced, die-cast metal sonic similar to what's been custom made here!

Oh, that's right.... I keep forgetting... that would MAKE SENSE, therefore IT'S NOT ALLOWED!! :facepalm

Update, got my red dye today so "red setting emitters" is a go. I've been doing some experimenting on one of my own sonics these past few weeks and the results will be presented in the next few weeks.

In a more serious note to all regarding all pending conversions:
Due to a death in the family (today), I will be taking a few days off from Sonic work to tend to familial duties. I highly appreciate your understanding on this matter and know that I will not leave you hanging. I just have to take care of the family first. That being said, my presence on the boards during those days will be minimal at best. But please continue to send any inquiries my way and I will respond to them as best I can given the circumstances.

thanks guys/gals,

Gene

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back