My Sonic Screwdriver Display Case

jedibugs

So, as long as I've had a Sonic Screwdriver, I've never had a proper display for it. As my all-time favorite prop, I felt that it deserved something really nice that would set it apart from the rest of my (meager) collection. I wanted it enclosed and lighted, but also easily accessible so that I could play with it whenever the urge took me. It's very rare, but what I ended up making turned out to be WAY better than what I set out to make, so I thought I'd share.

Here's a full display shot. Pardon my stupid reflection in the glass:
7545609860_e744a71309_c.jpg

As you can see below, it is very easy to get to when you absolutely need to sonic something. I've got the lights off in this shot because with the door open they're like 4 tiny suns blasting light right in your face. (I built a small on-off switch at the bottom so it doesn't have to be constantly on).
7545608678_bdf6615714_c.jpg

The secret to the appearance of levitation is 4 small Rare Earth magnets (two stacks of two each) that hold it by nothing more than the tiny grub screws in the back of the Sonic!
7545609312_f872c41f23_c.jpg

The box itself is a jewelry box that I picked up for $2 at an estate sale. I added the electronics to it myself. I'm not very good at it, so if you take the thing off the wall, the back of it looks like an IED. I certainly won't be bringing it in my carry-on when I travel.

Hope you guys like it.

-Shawn

Nice, I'm wanting to make a stand with lights for mine at some point. Like the use of magnets for the 'levitation' effect!

Last edited:
Nice looking case. Needs a sign underneath, 'break glass in times of emergency'. Love the Hover mode look. Yep very impressive Sir!

The box itself is a jewelry box that I picked up for $2 at an estate sale. I added the electronics to it myself. I'm not very good at it, so if you take the thing off the wall, the back of it looks like an IED.

Aren't you afraid it may catch fire?

It would be a shame to damage a Cool Tennant Sonic like that.:angel

Who cares what the back looks like, that display is AWESOME!

I'm now searching for similar magnets for mine... :)

-- Tim

This is pretty cool Jedibugs, very well done. Have you thought about putting another LED behind the emitter head so that is appears to be activated while on display? Although that might be something you'd want to have the option of a separate on or off switch I would think, but it might be a cool option none the less.

Great idea on the magnets too.

Wonder if it wouldn't be prudent to put some protection between the magnets and the sonic.

I'd hate to see that perfectly painted sonic get damaged. After all it's not like you can just go to a toy store to replace it with a new one.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back