The 12th Doctor's New Sonic Screwdriver

I'm curious to see if the toy will have the light patterns the new prop does. I'm sure it will have sound and light up, I just wonder if it will have the actual light pattern and the multiple modes.

I'm curious to see if the toy will have the light patterns the new prop does. I'm sure it will have sound and light up, I just wonder if it will have the actual light pattern and the multiple modes.

Based on the fact that the River Song sonic didn't have a proper Neural Relay I'm going to say no. They always cut corners on the toys (ie all the classic sonics use the same sound as the 9th/10th sonics, River's relay just blinks on and off) so unless they up the anti on the electronics and the quality of the exterior suffers, it's likely we'll get Blue and Green modes but nothing more than simple flashing and a few sounds. Of course, it's possible but the mechanics of it are more complicated than other sonics. They'd need four different positions for the slider switch and a push switch for the regular sonic light/sound so that's five sounds, four light colors/patterns and two switch types. Plus, they have to save something for the inevitable re-release later on. Since we haven't seen a lot of the functionality in the show they may have this first release be a simple up-off-down switch with blue and green mode and maybe a press button for the solid, normal sonic light and sound and see more functionality in the next one.

Based on the fact that the River Song sonic didn't have a proper Neural Relay I'm going to say no. They always cut corners on the toys (ie all the classic sonics use the same sound as the 9th/10th sonics, River's relay just blinks on and off) so unless they up the anti on the electronics and the quality of the exterior suffers, it's likely we'll get Blue and Green modes but nothing more than simple flashing and a few sounds. Of course, it's possible but the mechanics of it are more complicated than other sonics. They'd need four different positions for the slider switch and a push switch for the regular sonic light/sound so that's five sounds, four light colors/patterns and two switch types. Plus, they have to save something for the inevitable re-release later on. Since we haven't seen a lot of the functionality in the show they may have this first release be a simple up-off-down switch with blue and green mode and maybe a press button for the solid, normal sonic light and sound and see more functionality in the next one.
There are 2 versions of the River sonic. The original had the neural relay hidden behind a panel which had lights which flickered as on the show. When it was re released this function was removed to save in costs.
My understanding is that the CO toy will have rotating lights but haven't seen it myself yet.

All speculation at this point.

This looks like plastic to me, and the way the light seeps through the blue plastic isn't like the Rubbertoe prop.

The RT looks different from the one in this picture. In the video those screws are smaller and brass.
https://youtu.be/whIESQEk14U?t=9
IMG_3717.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 2 versions of the River sonic. The original had the neural relay hidden behind a panel which had lights which flickered as on the show. When it was re released this function was removed to save in costs.
My understanding is that the CO toy will have rotating lights but haven't seen it myself yet.

I forgot about that - I was thinking about the 11th/12th with its many incarnations that added some and removed some functionality between them. I guess anything is possible then depending on whatever choices they decide to make - but I still doubt it will be 'fully functional' in terms of having all the different light modes. Adding alternating sounds or multiple sounds for multiple button clicks is just a matter of programming while multiple light modes would require additional hardware and more complicated board assembly that CO would be likely to omit, imo.

Also, I have to say, based on the thickness of this one vs the real prop, it may be the CO one. Taking a second look, assuming that person's thumb isn't any thinner than my own, the body seems larger than the actual prop, which could be a strong indication that this is the toy version since they tend to run a bit bigger to fit the electronics - and the mechanical bits on the side don't appear to have brass rods through them like the real deal either - could be a solid paint job or metallic plastic molded piece without additional paint- but the picture is also quite blurry.

Last edited:
It looks to me like the switch will NOT be a push switch, but a slide switch. The button can be seen in different positions when activated.

Sorry to all the wand company fans but when I messaged asking them if they were doing the new sonic they said they had no plans for it which probably means you'll have to wait ages I have screen shots but not sure how to upload them yet

Sorry to all the wand company fans but when I messaged asking them if they were doing the new sonic they said they had no plans for it which probably means you'll have to wait ages I have screen shots but not sure how to upload them yet
They've been saying that for a while now, however, they also said that about the extendable 11th sonic, yet as it turns out they had been working on it. The Wand Company is smart enough to know that there's a lot of demand for the new sonic and they would get a good amount of business from selling it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back