SyFy's Heroes of Cosplay

Hey, finally some "how we did this" moments! Holly explaining the aluminum and duct tape method of making a pattern for foam, and showing Miguel actually fibreglassing his foam. Although, I wondered why he wanted to fiberglass that EVA foam anyway? Doesn't seem like a popular approach, is all. Especially since it was winter in NY and he had concerns about it not curing in the cold. Why wouldn't he just get Plasti-Dip or something?

Hooray for Crabcat winning Best Group! And although Miguel's digimon was pretty cool, it wasn't spectacular at all. Carl's Mannequin cosplay seemed like a disaster. He talked himself up so much that the finished product was extremely underwhelming.

That Mannequin was hell to work on. We only had three days to do it. Not our best work. :(

Plus, for Miggy: They filmed the 'construction' of his costume months after he had already made it. The cold temp was just an added bonus that the producers could run with for story drama.

Plus, for Miggy: They filmed the 'construction' of his costume months after he had already made it. The cold temp was just an added bonus that the producers could run with for story drama.
I was prepared to make another rant about the fake drama, but screw it. We (RPF) know it, they (producers) know it, and I bet a lot of the viewers know it.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

YAY! I saw me on the TV :p

While the lack of @Jinyo was really obvious (at least to me), I was very happy to see the faux drama dropped and more of a focus placed on building. The kind of builds featured on the show are not my kind of builds at all (so short of a time and so randomly chosen), but I think they are doing a better job representing our community so far this season. Was really happy to see a number of RPFers including our own @AbbyDarkStar and @Annisse. I still wish they would move away from the whole "this hobby is predominantly about making costumes for contests in a week" but for one show so far, I am hopeful for this season!

I think that is the issue that others are bringing up, including myself. They are marketing to a demographic that like to know HOW things are done. Cosplayers are more than people who are just captivated by TV drama and shiny things. We like to know why things are shiny and how they got that way!

In the very least they are missing a prime opportunity to show more of this stuff in a webisode format online. Networks seem to love online tie-in content anyway and this would be a natural. Have a 10-15 minute video online for each costume taking a deeper look into the construction side of it. It would drive up traffic to the site and give them more sharable content which drives up their 'social media presence'.

In the very least they are missing a prime opportunity to show more of this stuff in a webisode format online. Networks seem to love online tie-in content anyway and this would be a natural. Have a 10-15 minute video online for each costume taking a deeper look into the construction side of it. It would drive up traffic to the site and give them more sharable content which drives up their 'social media presence'.

I love that idea! It would definitely be a great addition, as long as I could access the content on Space.ca since SyFy blocks all users outside the US. I guess the caveat is they would have to pay the cast and crew more? Who knows how much of the build they actually film right now. If they just don't film it, they'd be paying everyone for more hours. If they do get a lot and it ends up on the cutting room floor so to speak, it would be a perfect way to actually utilize it.

I guess the caveat is they would have to pay the cast and crew more?
The whole reason broadcasters like "reality" shows is that they are cheaper to make than regular shows. So I doubt we will see much. I thought they posted some for this or for Face Off. I think that for make up you would be better off looking for old Mad Monster Lab videos on YouTube.

Although I have won pretty much all the competitions I entered locally that is not why I do it, I do it for the fans and their reactions as they are plenty enough prize for me as well as just the entire process of making a costume, dressing up, and seeing all the reactions and people scared but also wanting pics, videos, autographs etc. Also the personal gratification of completing the entire project which was once just a thought, and then bringing that thought to life and making it a reality.

I don't think art should be rushed or even judged seriously, it is all just opinions, and all the drama and time limits make for good TV to those not fully interested in the building process. No one is a loser if they did their best and had fun, and many get disappointed if they "lose" but sometimes it forces them to go to the next level with the builds if anything positive can be gleaned from it all. Some judges have no clue, or just like different styles more than others so in the end it is just their opinion. "overly complex" costumes also does not necessarily mean "best" it just depends on what you are looking at or what you like. Sometimes there are small intricate details that are pretty impressive also that can't be seen farther away. So I don't really take the whole competition aspect seriously. But as I said it can be a positive experience if it motivates you to learn more skills, and craftsmanship and just keep raising the bar until you stand out from the rest. But as long as you had fun that makes you a winner anyway. But I know being a "winner" based on the perception of a few others feels great also, but at the same time brings others down if they take it too serious. So either way both should be taken with a grain of salt and one should just focus on doing the best they can, and enjoy the overall experience.

I also had very limited resources and some old books and Tom Savini DVDS on special FX but not much, I mostly developed my own methods. Today you have everything at your disposal and tons of videos on Youtube and forums etc, wish I had that back then. But I am also kinda glad that I was determined enough to find my own way and get it done however I could. I also love the TV shows and wished there were those types of shows back then, but better late than never. I know it is niche market and made for TV, and I would be happy just watching the build for an hour lol. But I got Youtube and DVDS to do that anyway. Most people who watch will be regular people with short attention spans so the time limits and "problems" that come up right before every commercial is essential to keep their attention. But as a hardcore cosplayer I just want to see the building process and the finished product. But I know you only get an hour also. I wish there was a cosplay channel on 24/7 but then I might not get a much work done lol.

Some seem to have issue with the word "Heroes" which I think is ridiculous. It is just a TV show however and they did not make the name. It doesn't make them a bad person because they are not out trying to be "real heroes". There are also plenty of shows about them. They are having fun and working hard and money is never guaranteed as far as competition goes, most of the time they go home with little or nothing. But what matters is the experience. Don't take the title too seriously as they don't think they are those types of heroes they are just playing heroes and are heroes of the show. I don't like everyone on the show I just love the premise and wish I could see more of the building process since that is what interests me the most. Plus we don't know what they do in their private lives but that is their business, and doesn't mean they have to be real heroes or "make a difference" if they choose not to. They are just doing their thing and loving what they do like most should be doing, and they could be doing a lot more worse things lol.

I finally saw the last episode and I thought that Wonder Woman costume was really well done. I can't say how accurate it was because I don't read the comics, but the detail of everything looked really good.

Moonwildflower's costume was very well made.
The idea of sculpting , and casting sections to applying to a body suit is very impressive.

The only thing that kept it from being awesome was that it needed a better paint job. If it would have had details airbrushed into it, and the white eye frames I am sure he would have gotten a prize. Instead it was too clean looking. Even if it was all painted black and had the white areas dry brushed on it would have looked better. It would of carried over that gritty look the comics have.

Wonderful sculpt with a weak paint job can kill any project.

That one original design on the stilts while eye catching was nothing impressive. Yaya had it dead on when she said it looked like a bunch of bought stuff thrown together. I am sure if it did not have the stilts it would have been overlooked.

I thought that Harley was going to get the top prize for sure. She gets my thumbs up no doubt. :thumbsup

90% of all power ranger costumes are commissioned or bought. The best ones all have the stunt cast helmets. Since it was JDF who gave that award I will let it pass.

can anyone explain the concept of honorable mention?

to me that seems like:
hey youre not good enough to win, but here, take this for participation?

i dont really get it cause we dont have that here at all

can anyone explain the concept of honorable mention?

to me that seems like:
hey youre not good enough to win, but here, take this for participation?

i dont really get it cause we dont have that here at all
That sounds about right.
I think it is because a characteristic of a costume is outstanding, but as a whole it does not worth placing. So it is mentioned honorably since it personally impressed a judge.
That is the way I understand it.

Enter singing contests and you have first to third then highly commended then commended in each class. And then probably a few trophies for overall scores over the entire week. It's recognition that their work is really good and deserves that to be officially noted.

I got rid of that title and instead give out awards for technical or performance excellence. Top prizes can be ridiculously limited. The last contest I did had 33 entries show up on the day (many groups and many skits) and with a proportional system of number of awards I can make sure to not have too many or too few (ie if there is one entry in a category they don't automatically win).

I also allocate 5 minutes per entry for in person interviews and so that's why we judge before not after presentation- it takes about 2 hours for me to take the in person impression marks and the registration information on how each costume was made to get a balance between execution/difficulty- it also debunks the whole scary judge thing as I sit *beside* my table not behind. It means I am sitting on par with the contestants and they don't see the actual judging notes or see me writing them. I also get to talk with not to. It winds up being he best part of the whole day. It takes me a whole day, but contestants don't have to hang around- they get seen at a set time and then they get to go relax.

I have done contests in NZ, Oz and the US so do things a bit differently because of my experiences of them and performing art contests.

well most contests have prejudging here, so you get to talk to the judges for 5 to 10 mins, and the show is actually just a showoff, that is just for the audience.
we have various categories, pretty much: show, x-cosplay (just craftsmanship and overall costume rated), and mixed, where skit and costume are rated equally. theres top 3 for each contest, so 3 contests on 3 days, and 9 prizes over all. the best hero/villain is stupid to me cause you cant group every character into that category.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back