SyFy's Heroes of Cosplay

There still needs to be less BS and more showing the players actually making their costumes. If the producers don't want to further propagate the cliched notion that this is just a bunch of nerds playing dress up, they need to show how talented and dedicated these people are and how much meticulous work goes into creating their costumes. That's what the show should highlight.

tumblr_mbv6wmlQSV1r5eyhq.gif

There still needs to be less BS and more showing the players actually making their costumes. If the producers don't want to further propagate the cliched notion that this is just a bunch of nerds playing dress up, they need to show how talented and dedicated these people are and how much meticulous work goes into creating their costumes. That's what the show should highlight.

They are getting viewers so they don't care. I was surprised at how they had no real drama on the first episode. Maybe they will slowly increase it over the season.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

They tried the whole "she's too nervous to go on stage when her name was called" bit again, but that was clearly creative editing

They are getting viewers so they don't care.

Yes, but how long will they keep them? Like many, I thought last season was weak, so I tuned in to see if the producers made improvements. They haven't, so I'm done, and I'll bet I'm not alone. Look how many complaints are in this thread alone; multiply that by X and that's a lot of lost viewers.

I could barely sit through a 30 second promo for this debacle on SyFy, so I can't even imagine how badly I'd fare if I actually had to sit and watch it. Heck, I had to start watching Face Off online just to skip through the constant rehashing so I could watch the 10 minutes of actual work done per episode.

I know last season there was a controversy about a dress that had been seen before, but it had been something like 3/4 rebuilt for the show after they learned better techniques or something.

Was it Victoria's Tron dress you're talking about? Her fiancé/hubby Jinyo wrote a blog about that dress after the show aired. He explained that it had gone through rebuilds and the one seen on the show was a 3rd build. He included pictures and explanations of what changed throughout the evolution.

- - - Updated - - -

They always showed a little bit of Crabcat's work before. And last night there was Jesse casting his Mandarin rings. They actually showed him melting down the pewter and pouring it into the molds. They're not really going to show him de-molding and finishing them up, or casting all 10, because that would be pretty boring.

They are heroes because they keep on a tryin'. The only problem with skeksis was the 'neck' was coming out the side of the body.

so, was there really a price for best embroidery? cause in most shots on stage she wasnt on stage (like during the best in show and whatnot) like all the other winners, and the shots she was in you couldnt see the audience. also ive never heard of the category for this in any costume contest.

I know last season there was a controversy about a dress that had been seen before, but it had been something like 3/4 rebuilt for the show after they learned better techniques or something.

I know Jesse had mentioned for one of his early costumes last season, had been almost completely finished the costume but then the show had him remake it, almost completely from scratch and in a big hurry, because they wanted to film him making it. :(

so, was there really a price for best embroidery? cause in most shots on stage she wasnt on stage (like during the best in show and whatnot) like all the other winners, and the shots she was in you couldnt see the audience. also ive never heard of the category for this in any costume contest.

I'm not sure why there was a cash prize for this one. I've heard whispers and rumours that some cash prizes last season were provided by the producers of the show just to make it seem like high stakes, and that there was some corruption with judging when Yaya competed in the season finale.

However, there are some masquerades where judges are allowed to make up categories and awards just to recognize outstanding achievements, etc. This is (in my experience) mostly just for the junior division, though. The little kids all get ribbons and the judges just make up the name of it.

Yes, but how long will they keep them? Like many, I thought last season was weak, so I tuned in to see if the producers made improvements. They haven't, so I'm done, and I'll bet I'm not alone. Look how many complaints are in this thread alone; multiply that by X and that's a lot of lost viewers.

I still think the show is struggling, but I do think it is better this year than last... at least so far. They are definitely focusing more on the build and less on the very obviously manufactured drama which is nice. I think the basic premise is wrong for the show, which all comes down to contests that prior to the show I have NEVER seen one of the Heroes talk about and I rarely hear anyone in our circles talk about either. The contests, at least for all the people I know, can be fun but just aren't a big deal and the show is making out as if these contests will make or break the Heroes reps. The thing is, their rep has almost nothing to do with contests and everything to do with their social media presence. If they don't do well in a contest, that has zero impact on their fan base.

On a final note, I thought it was kind of funny yet sad that there were a MILLION audience shots of Jessica Nigri. It felt a little pathetic that they seemed to feel the need to keep smacking the audience in the face with her.

On a final note, I thought it was kind of funny yet sad that there were a MILLION audience shots of Jessica Nigri. It felt a little pathetic that they seemed to feel the need to keep smacking the audience in the face with her.

I actually noticed Monika Lee more in the audience shots. You can't miss her with that fire red hair of hers.

As others have said, I like how the "drama" has been toned down and there's more focus on the actual costume progress. And if there is going to be another season, I hope they try to get some of the more known international cosplayers out there like Kamui, Tasha and Doremi from the Spiral Cats or Alodia Gosiengfao whose following is bigger than everybody on the show (of both seasons) COMBINED.

Yeah I thought the same thing too. Wasn't she originally supposed to be in the show? It looked like they felt the had to keep showing her.

Clutch said:
The only problem with skeksis was the 'neck' was coming out the side of the body.

I agree. I think she needed to redesign the body so she could fit under it with her right arm centered for the head.

I wish all these reality shows would just start focusing on what is actually the focus of the show. On this one, show them building the things. I watched a show about guys buying cars the other day and 99% of the show was these guys running around acting like people in Mexico were hunting them down. There was about 5mins. about the cars. We don't need a made up story.

I wish all these reality shows would just start focusing on what is actually the focus of the show.

I wish I get the winning lottery numbers this weekend, but it probably won't happen. Every reality show I have seen follows the same formula: show people running around with some combination of being idiots, being jackasses, having fun, and occasionally doing whatever the show claims it is about.

Steve Neill and Doug Drexler were shopping around a show about building models and props, talking about the background of what they were working on, and some other stuff. Steve said they absolutely would not do any reality show bs. I have not heard anything about it for almost a year now.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

Maybe we need to get people together to do an actual RPF show on youtube. Like a real show with actual 'hosts' from the forum who submit their portions to get edited into a 'reality show style how it should be done for this,' not just a collection of videos.

Maybe we need to get people together to do an actual RPF show on youtube. Like a real show with actual 'hosts' from the forum who submit their portions to get edited into a 'reality show style how it should be done for this,' not just a collection of videos.

That is literally the coolest idea I've ever heard of.

There was kind of a start of one that Matt and Amanda started a while back that was to focus on different build threads called On the Laam. The first couple were pretty interesting but then the videos started to shift focus and lose what they were all about in the first place imo and went the way of a dumb silly feel

They probably are still on theRPF youtube channel

Yeah I remember looking at the channel and seeing a collection of stuff, but I was thinking an actual 'once a week we put out a show using edited footage that people send us that covers a build, a new technique how-to, coverage of a convention, interviews with people, etc' type of RPF-branded show. Have one person in charge of putting them together, making sure the submitted stuff is a good quality, is in the time allotted, is relevant, etc...? I know this is off topic of the true topic of this thread, but it's something that sorta came up with all the 'I wish the show had more __________' in it.

Yeah I remember looking at the channel and seeing a collection of stuff, but I was thinking an actual 'once a week we put out a show using edited footage that people send us that covers a build, a new technique how-to, coverage of a convention, interviews with people, etc' type of RPF-branded show. Have one person in charge of putting them together, making sure the submitted stuff is a good quality, is in the time allotted, is relevant, etc...? I know this is off topic of the true topic of this thread, but it's something that sorta came up with all the 'I wish the show had more __________' in it.

Actually everything you just said should be in it was in those videos, even a single host interviewing people. I would definitely check out their channel, it's exactly as you were thinking or at least typing about (except there wasn't multiple members per video, usually just a focus on one). The only thing that was different than what you said was the frequency. They would make them regularly but not once a week.

EDIT: Maybe you are thinking of different videos? These were a few years before your join date but should still be easy to find on their channel.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back