Step 15: Sculpting the Phoenix

To make the bird's body and head I started with more XPS foam and carefully carved / filed it to shape.

03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG

Step 16: Line Work on the Phoenix

Tracing from the printed sample then "etching" the lines with a Micron Pen (it sort of "burns" into the foam). The same method was applied to the tail feathers.

06.JPG
07.JPG
10.JPG

Step 17: Initial Work on the Wings

Each wing will be slightly a different shape due to the tolerance changes in the curve of the hand bent wire. For the is reason I found it best to do a pencil rubbing of the area to get the shape. From there it was applied to a thin piece of foam and cut out. I shaped the foam into a wedge shape and am trying some test fitting before making the other three.

11.JPG
12.JPG

Step 18: Detail Work on the Wings

Now that I have all 4 wings roughed out I can start on the slow stage of adding the markings. I carefully cut out segments of my printed master and trace the lines onto the wing. I go over them with a Micron pen and slowly but surely they appear.

I am really happy with the progress and once the other 3 wings are detailed I can assemble the build ready for painting!

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Step 19: Completion of the Wings

It took quite a bit of time but all the markings have been traced onto the wings! I have all the pieces "dry fit" on the headpiece and am excited to move on and assemble / paint.

IMG_7040_edited.JPG

Step 20: Red Stone

I haven't been able to locate a good red stone for the necklace so I primed one of the turquoise ones I had, painted it red and sprayed a clear coat on it. Also started some weathering on the chain.

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Step 21: Gem Bezel

TBH I have been dreading this step a bit. The gem has a bezel around it to set the stone - the irony is I know how to do this with real gems and metal but replicating it on this prop with foam and wood has been a tough one.

In the end I came up with a method I am happy with.

The first step was cutting the inner circle out of thin foam with a Leather Punch then I traced the outside circle onto it.

01.JPG
02.JPG

Next was to trim the excess off with a utility knife and carefully sand down the perimeter with a nail file. Once happy with the shape I cut the bezel ring in half with my Proxxon Hot Wire Table.

03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG

This took a couple of attempts to get the correct size but I did eventually find it and I am really happy with the results.

06.JPG
07.JPG

Step 22: Assembly

All the work leads up to this point - assembly is always one of my favourite stages! Once I had the items glued in I spent some time filling gaps with more PVA glue. Mod Podge and painting next!

IMG_7068_edited.JPG
IMG_7071_edited.JPG
IMG_7072_edited.JPG

IMG_7077_edited.JPG
IMG_7073_edited.JPG

Step 23: Base Coat

First I coated the XPS Foam with a layer of with Mod Podge Hard Coat.

IMG_7081_edited.JPG
IMG_7082_edited.JPG

Then it was all based out in black - I love this stage... the whole build comes together as one.

IMG_7084_edited.JPG
IMG_7086_edited.JPG

Step 24: Filler

Once it was all one colour I could see where I needed to add some filler putty to a couple of areas to remove the "layered" look of the prop.

IMG_7089_edited.JPG
IMG_7090_edited.JPG

Step 25: Stone Work

While the headpiece was drying with another coat of black I spent a little time using CA glue to anchor the eye-rings.

IMG_7091_edited.JPG
IMG_7097_edited.JPG
IMG_7102_edited.JPG

Step 26: Gold Painting

Well, the moment I have been waiting for. All the hard work and determination brought to life with some simple dry-brushing. So exciting!

Here are some in progress photos and a couple of dry-fit mock-ups. I am really pleased with the look of the item and am anxious to complete it.

IMG_7107.JPG
IMG_7108_edited.JPG

IMG_7109_edited.JPG
IMG_7110_edited.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back