Indiana Jones Raven Saloon Staff of Ra Headpiece Stand

genZOD

Sr Member
I modified scans of actual goat skulls to build the 3D model. I'm printing the file now. That will form the base that I expect to do quite a bit of sculpting over. I like Bondo for larger projects. Then epoxy-sculpt for fine details. I couldn't find much clear reference, so I'll be happy with something that looks believably like it's made from bone. I'm not using a candle like the movie, but I will make it into a "candle-looking" lamp.

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 5.37.16 PM.png

Last edited:
Might you be offering 3D prints for sale at some point?

I would really enjoy doing the painting and weathering, and have a great way to display my Ra Headpiece.

Might you be offering 3D prints for sale at some point?

I would really enjoy doing the painting and weathering, and have a great way to display my Ra Headpiece.
Not with my current printer. It takes 15 hours per half. I do have a new printer on the way, which is much faster. Even so, I'm not really set up to print in any kind of volume. If I do print extras I'll make sure to let you know where to buy them. I don't have enough privileges to post a project run, so it won't be there.

The first test print is done. It's about 75% of the final. 1/2 of the final version is printing now. I have a new printer coming soon. In the meantime, this project should use up most of the material I have spooled up for my old one. The detail is OK but it is s-l-o-w.
IMG_7669.jpeg

Last edited:
One side is printed. The different colors are because I'm using up all the spooled PLA for this old printer. Anyway, this project started because I got a headpiece from RelicMaker. After I spent forever adding an antiqued finish to it (the piece he produces looks beautiful, newer & is probably closer to the finish of the actual prop) I wanted some way to display the headpiece that lived up to the quality of the RelicMaker casting.
IMG_7674.jpeg

As you can see, there will be lots of sculpting over the 3D print. Then my favorite part, painting. I also need to add about 1cm of height to the horns. As it is, each half of the cradle maxes out my build plate. Anyway, the other half is going to take another 40 hours to print, so I'll have plenty of time to tinker with this side.

Oh this is rad! I have been looking to build this stand from the film for a long time, would you be willing to share the 3d print file, i know somewhere i could get a good diy print of this online from a 3d printing company, i could use the filament and cover it with epoxy for weathering effects.

propmaker3000

Oh this is rad! I have been looking to build this stand from the film for a long time, would you be willing to share the 3d print file, i know somewhere i could get a good diy print of this online from a 3d printing company, i could use the filament and cover it with epoxy for weathering effects.

propmaker3000
Sorry for the late reply. I bought the scan from Sketchfab, I don't have the right to share it. If you're interesed I can try to point you to the original file, I think it was $35 or so. I modified it quite a bit in Blender. After printing the two halves, I also modified them by heating up the PLA with a mini-heat gun and bending/stretching.

Hello all, this project has been on hold for a while. I've been busy with work. I did manage to print out the other half. I haven't started the Bondo & sculpting process, but hopefully that will happen soon. If you pause the scene in the movie, you can get a pretty good idea how the halves are wired together. I'm going to try to replicate that.

IMG_8162.jpeg

IMG_8161.jpeg

Sure i would love to try to print one on a 3d printer and sand it down a bit, you said it was on sketchfab? Also i'm not sure how to stretch out a model how did you skretch it out for printing? Thank's for getting back to me !!
propmaker3000

Sure i would love to try to print one on a 3d printer and sand it down a bit, you said it was on sketchfab? Also i'm not sure how to stretch out a model how did you skretch it out for printing? Thank's for getting back to me !!
propmaker3000
Hi, sorry I'm slow to reply. I edited the model in Blender, so that I had two skulls that weren't exact mirror images of each other. I also removed the lower jaws and opened up parts that were filled in on the original scan. After I printed the model I used heat to further warp & stretch parts. PLA is good for this because it melts at a pretty low temperature. That also why I won't be Ising a real candle with this ;-). I tried to find a link to the model for you, but I purchased a while ago and can't find it. I though I purchased if from Sketchfab, but maybe it was somewhere else. This model is pretty close: Goat Skull 3D Model

Looks good. Weren't they candle holders in the movie that she just happened to set it on? In other words, you might want a candle too.

Hello all, this project has been on hold for a while. I've been busy with work. I did manage to print out the other half. I haven't started the Bondo & sculpting process, but hopefully that will happen soon. If you pause the scene in the movie, you can get a pretty good idea how the halves are wired together. I'm going to try to replicate that.

View attachment 1768567

View attachment 1768568
genZOD. This is freaking awesome! I've been looking for a replica of this prop for a while. Yours is the first that I've seen to actually make it. Too bad you can't sell a finished product, or the 3d print file. Well done!!

I'm finally getting back to this. Between work and finally getting COVID, I haven't had much time for projects. I've just finished the "smear Bondo all over it" phase. Next is the "cram epoxy putty into everything that shouldn't look hollow" phase. Then I get to start the sanding, paining and detailing. I found a realistic-ish looking LED candle to use in place of anything that might melt the PLA.

IMG_8648.jpeg

I got a bit more sculpting done, mostly just bulking up the spots where the bone is too thin looking. I’ll do this off & on for the next few days. I’m also using expanding foam to fill in the horns & other voids that should be solid. Anyway, I should be sanding & painting soon.

IMG_8655.jpeg

My Staff of Ra Headpiece holder is finished!
IMG_8912.jpeg

I finally got a solid weekend's worth of work done on this thing. I like the way it turned out. The candle isn't quite as orange as the pictures make it look. I blame LED lights...
IMG_8914.jpegIMG_8916.jpegIMG_8903.jpeg

I did lots of Bondo-sculpting over the 3D print to get a cool bone texture. I also filled any voids and generally thickened up all the bones.
IMG_8829.jpegIMG_8831.jpegIMG_8843.jpeg

The paint is several layers thick. The whole thing was sealed with a sandable primer that is pretty forgiving. I used a combination of underpainting, glazes and washes to get the bone and char effects.
IMG_8858.jpegIMG_8859.jpegIMG_8862.jpeg

The candle is also 3D printed. I filled the inside with pillow stuffing and orange LED Lights. The flame is a "flickering" LED inside a 3D printed "flame" shape. I light-blocked the base of the candle and then painted it with a very thin coat of pearl white. There is a "pool" of melted wax at the top that is just epoxy. Originally I build a cool fiber optic wick for the canadle. It had a flame built-up out of dripped epoxy. It was cool looking, but it wasn't bright enough.
candle-v1.jpgIMG_8847.jpeg

This was a fun project, I think that I got pretty close to the original prop. I do have little horn extensions that I had planned to add to the bottom of all four horns. They would make it a little more accurate, but even harder to fit on a shelf. Anyway, there are two or three in Marion's bar, maybe this is a perfect match for one of the other ones. One change I did make was to soften the line between the horns and the skull. On screen the line looks great, in person it was super distracting.

The headpiece was made by RelicMaker. It's a fantastic piece. First I got inspired to weather it, then I got inspired to build this weird goat skull candle holder.

Great! I'll take two. When can I get them delivered? ;)
I wish that I had the time to make this a side business! It took me months to deliver this one to myself, and I know me really well. If you want any tips to make one, I’d be happy to share what worked for me.

EDIT: That came off WAY more know-it-all-y than intended. What I meant was, if there is any particular feature of mine that you like, I'd be happy to explain what I did.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back