zenx13

Greetings all!

I haven't posted in awhile, busy with life and client projects, but I am caught up and have some time at Christmas for a personal project!

I have been a fan of this prop since seeing "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in 1981 and have always wanted to have one. In the last few years I have been practicing sculpting and am excited to take on this build!

I have chosen to replicate the Raven Saloon Staff of Ra Headpiece - let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Cheers!
/sean

Step One: Reference Materials and Base

I located a number of reference materials and prop dimensions - from there it was transferred to thin MDF as the base of the build.

01.PNG
02.PNG

Step Three: Twisted Wire

Using a drill and two strands of wire I made the twisted wire filigree that runs along the outer edge of the headpiece.

05.jpg
06.JPG

Step Four: Mounting the Twisted Wire

I taped the wire into place and then secured it in about 6 places using CA Glue and Kicker. I followed this by carefully adding PVA glue to the gap between the wire and the base with a paintbrush.

07.JPG
09.JPG
10.JPG

Hey Sean, these steps are very inspiring and I can't wait to see what happens next (y)

Scratch-building: the old school, not as convenient as 3D printing, BUT...the best way of building prop ! ;)

Hey Sean, these steps are very inspiring and I can't wait to see what happens next (y)

Scratch-building: the old school, not as convenient as 3D printing, BUT...the best way of building prop ! ;)
Very kind of you to say - I don't own a 3D printer myself, I still get the most enjoyment out of the process rather than the finished item. The issue I run into is time (lack there of) and find Christmas break to be a chance to make something for myself. Thanks again and stay tuned!

Step 5: Inner Wire

The first set of inner wires were created using Round Nose Pliers - this is something I used to do many times when I was Silversmithing.

01.JPG
02.JPG

Step 6: Character Engraving

To accomplish the look of engraved characters I ripped a thin piece of XPS Foam and traced the characters onto it. There were a number of steps involved:

03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG

Step 7: Adhering the Engraved Layer

I coated the wooden base of the medallion with quick drying carpenter's glue then affixed the engraved foam layer (note: I paint the backside of the foam with acrylic paint as it helps to stick faster and stronger). Here it is with the inner wires resting on it - tomorrow I hope to bring the other side up to this point and affix the inner wires.

06.JPG
07.JPG

SIDE NOTE: It isn't all Fame and Glory...

I had one side completed but spent too much attention on getting the head to line up and being adhered well. Wasn't till after it all dried that i noticed it was way off centre. Had to be cut off and will need to be redone - I worked on the other side as I had that ready to go.

Scratch building always has setbacks - you just need to accept that and move on... that is all.

08.JPG

Step 8: Making the Rest of the Wire Embellishments

First I re-created the foam engraving slice and glued it to the base correcting my earlier issue.

Then I used a Jeweler's Ring Mandrill to shape the wire items at the top of the Headpiece and did a dry-fit:

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Step 9: Adhering the Wire Embellishments

Using Foam Safe HPD Super Gold + glue I affixed the wire items. HPD Insta-set Accelerator was also used as it doesn't react with the foam.

The last photos shows the full progress with both sides finished to this point.

04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG

Step 10: Shopping Trip!!

I raided Michaels and snagged some great items for the necklace and the gem eyes.

01.JPG

Then I went to a awesome local coin shoppe: Calgary Coin to locate some Asian Cash Coins and found a treasure trove of them! They range in age (you can't determine the age) and may be as old as over 100 years.

I bought a number to have for stock but if anyone would like one send me a message!

02.JPG
03.JPG

And this is the mock up - One of the turquoise stones will need to be painted red but I am really happy with how it looks so far!

04.JPG

Step 11: The Eye

I drilled a pilot hole in the eye area of the headpiece then cut the area out with a coping saw. I test fit one of the gems - looks great!

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Step 12: Slot for the Staff Connection

This was a part of the project that I was not looking forward to. I am not sure if I will ever make the staff connector - I will probably display the headpiece on Marion's necklace. Regardless the Headpiece requires a slot in it to be accurate.

I did a test on a spare piece of MDF with a drill but that failed. I tried to remove the material with an exacto knife but the results were so/so.

In the end I decided to cut the area out of the Headpiece and reconstruct the slotted area out of tongue depressors. I am pretty pleased with the results and the item will be accurate and prepared if I want to make the staff connector.

04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG

Step 13: Prep for Primer

On occasion spray primer can melt foam but the metal items require the primer to make sure the paint will stick. To be safe I coated the pink foam in Mod Podge - this works as a barrier and allows me to prime the whole item. I hope to do that in the next few days.

The last photo is where the project is at now.

07.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back