NIKE MAG Knockoffs

So I painted a sample of vinyl. And a short while later...

YOU TUBE VIDEO TEST

This product does not appear to crack even under stress that ordinary wearing will create. I'd say a win here :)

videos not linked properly.

can you buy this stuff in the UK?

what paints best then for the heel cup and foam part of the soles? the latex paint mixed with tulip fabric paint?

or this paint spray stuff?

I'm starting to think that the KMag V2s aren't coming out.

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet, either end of this month or next month, a new version is coming out (thats what the wholesaler said).

They are not sure how accurate it will be, but its definitely coming out i've been told. I've been scouring the web, and have emailed many of these dodgy chinese wholesaler knockoff sneaker websites who've been selling these k mags, and just a few of them (not all of them), say they are expecting a new replica copy of Nike Mag in next month.

I just hope its got clear soles and toe area fixed, and is as close to the original. Hell, if they gave us the shoe unbranded without any nike logo on it, i'd be chuffed.

That's why i haven't messed around with ripping up any of the kmag bits yet, other than starting on creating that mold of the ankle buckle and then hopefully the heel cup.

I just hope they are better than these 1st generation kmags. :confused

If not, we might as well crack on with ripping up these kmags and modifying them.

videos not linked properly.

can you buy this stuff in the UK?

what paints best then for the heel cup and foam part of the soles? the latex paint mixed with tulip fabric paint?

or this paint spray stuff?

Search for Vinyl Paint Test 1. I am not sure why this is not working as it is set for public viewing :confused

If this paint came in other shades, I would have bought them and used them on the mid soles and heel cup. This paint is flexible and seems to be quite robust. My kid has been torturing the test piece of vinyl and there is no signs of it peeling or cracking. The paint only comes in the medium grey I have used and a charcoal grey which I thought was too dark.

Search for Vinyl Paint Test 1. I am not sure why this is not working as it is set for public viewing :confused

If this paint came in other shades, I would have bought them and used them on the mid soles and heel cup. This paint is flexible and seems to be quite robust. My kid has been torturing the test piece of vinyl and there is no signs of it peeling or cracking. The paint only comes in the medium grey I have used and a charcoal grey which I thought was too dark.

yeah , found it

Vinyl Paint Test 1.MP4 - YouTube

My paint came out darker than I thought it would. I might take a comparison between the lid (the colour it is supposed to be) and the shoe (the colour it is) and see if this is right or an optical illusion.

I've uploaded a video to show the lighting in my KMAGS. I haven't bothered with the battery indicator LED's as it seems more trouble than it's worth with these trainers. I am however installing the on my markpoon MAGs as I won't be wearing them.

For now the circuit appears quite durable and there are no loose connections nor much movement for the wires to break. I shall be testing them on a night out soon to see how durable both my gluing and my circuits are.

NOTE: This is a test pair so they aren't the prettiest looking things. There's the odd gap/misallignment/glue spillage but these are going to be a wearable trainer for me, so they are going to get mucked up sooner or later anywho.

Here you go: Back to the future custom Nike MAG - YouTube

Very cool Lammy. Would you mind sharing how you did the strap and sole lights? Why are the sole lights green? Did you do a toe correction on these as well?

Last edited:
Very coll Lammy. Would you mind sharing how you did the strap and sole lights? Why are the sole lights green? Did you do a toe correction on these as well?

No problem dude. The strap is made of two strips of pleather that have been hot glued throughout and hand sewn where it needs to hold onto the heel back and where the velcro needs to be. I only hand sewed it due to not having a machine and it took too long to do and isn't the prettiest, so I'll be investing in a machine for the future.

The sole lights were made using a strip of EL sheet and cutting them into shape and taping round the little bit in the middle that joins the two ovals. From there I used a hot air gun to remove the waffle sole as this saves so much hassle with using a knife. http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f...e-display-video-imag0532.jpg-93731d1336466222
(I know this is the markpoon mag, but it works all the same)
The EL sheet is then glued into place and a hole is cut where you need to thread the wire into the shoe. From there you just glue the sole back on and voila! The only reason that it appears green is I'm using a "Tron Aqua Blue" EL sheet, so when combined with the yellow of the sole the light comes out green

I did a minor toe correct with these but it turned out better on one of them due to some gluing issues. Only disadvantage is you do lose some length to the shoe, so If you're wanting to wear a modded pair comfortably I recommend going up 1/2 a size to compensate.

No problem dude. The strap is made of two strips of pleather that have been hot glued throughout and hand sewn where it needs to hold onto the heel back and where the velcro needs to be. I only hand sewed it due to not having a machine and it took too long to do and isn't the prettiest, so I'll be investing in a machine for the future.

Hot glue hold OK? I used contact spray adhesive and had mixed results. I am thinking of using a super glue next time.
I did a minor toe correct with these but it turned out better on one of them due to some gluing issues. Only disadvantage is you do lose some length to the shoe, so If you're wanting to wear a modded pair comfortably I recommend going up 1/2 a size to compensate.

That makes sense as the toe box has been reduced in size. I guess it comes down to the look Vs practicality for wear.
attachment.php

Here is part of a photo [my shoes were in the back ground in] of my shoes before I painted them and the profile doesn't bother me. In fact it does not look as "boxy" from this angle.

For all you guys modifying the kmags, like Cavx experienced, I actually wore my sneakers for two days running and noticed that the foam at the back is extremely weak. I actually think its the weakest part of the shoe, it gets stained very easily and is easily ripped and scraped. Instead of this foam, it should be a rubber material which they should have used.

I do not think these shoes will last long if the foam isn't painted or protected with something.

So for all the hard work in implementing custom mods you guys will be doing, I think protecting the foam should be the number 1 priority. Any acrylic or latex paint should make these foamy sole parts last longer i should think, because the foam sole is rubbish!

I eventually plan to paint over them with the latex/acrylic combo that Caloss gave.

Okay every paint texture is to be mixed all together to make one color this is only for the light greyish green blue sole to us its just battle ship grey texture but if you mix all these colors together you will get a perfect match and it will stick to foam for a life time ******1st must have plastic cup and popsicle stick for mixing paint ****colors needed ***please check posted pics for better results and understanding on paint colors ////http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q586/FirstLabel/IMAG0128.jpg

which latex paint brand are you using?

on your pics you have these, and you've said to mix all together for each part (main sole, then splatter part)

pic 1: (for main grey sole colour with texture) Tulip slick white, tulip slick grey, color tex grey, bullseye 123.

pic 2: (for splatter) rustoleum inverted marking paint blue, tulip slick turqoise, tulip slick white.

not sure from that list which is the latex paint you are using?

Could you clarify?

Also, do you use the bullseye as a primer at start or as a finisher at the end?
or are you simply mixing all of the paints including the bullseye 123 in each list into a bowl, then just painting that on?

if you could put together a simple instruction set, that would be great.

thanks

Last edited:
which latex paint brand are you using?

on your pics you have these, and you've said to mix all together for each part (main sole, then splatter part)

pic 1: (for main grey sole colour with texture) Tulip slick white, tulip slick grey, color tex grey, bullseye 123.

pic 2: (for splatter) rustoleum inverted marking paint blue, tulip slick turqoise, tulip slick white.

not sure from that list which is the latex paint you are using?

Could you clarify?

Also, do you use the bullseye as a primer at start or as a finisher at the end?
or are you simply mixing all of the paints including the bullseye 123 in each list into a bowl, then just painting that on?

if you could put together a simple instruction set, that would be great.

thanks
Yes you are right! it is that easy stop over thinking the process please this will drive you crazy just mix all paints as posted then as you are mixing the paints it will change to either light grey add more paint an mix /dark grey what ever you desire outer grey sole color to be i hope this helps

For all you guys modifying the kmags, like Cavx experienced, I actually wore my sneakers for two days running and noticed that the foam at the back is extremely weak. I actually think its the weakest part of the shoe, it gets stained very easily and is easily ripped and scraped. Instead of this foam, it should be a rubber material which they should have used.

And partly why I want to add my clear soles to the outside of the black sole insert rather than remove that part. Yes it will add 3mm or so to my height, but it will also hopefully reduce the strike surface of the back outer edge of the heel.

I do not think these shoes will last long if the foam isn't painted or protected with something.

So for all the hard work in implementing custom mods you guys will be doing, I think protecting the foam should be the number 1 priority. Any acrylic or latex paint should make these foamy sole parts last longer i should think, because the foam sole is rubbish!

Not that it is rubbish, it is urethane rubber and the grade used here is typically what is used as a mid sole which is then coated with an outer sole. It SHOULD NOT be making contact with the ground. It was done this way because the MAG in the film was done this way and the truth is, that shoe was a movie prop and not a 'meant for wearing' shoe. Something has to give if you want the cutaway outer sole.

I eventually plan to paint over them with the latex/acrylic combo that Caloss gave.

I think that will help but I don't see it as a long term fix for this. I was looking at other NIKE shoes I have around the house and all of them use urethane as a mid sole (it goes yellowish over time if exposed to direct sunlight) and all of them have a harder outer rubber sole to protect that.

Yes you are right! it is that easy stop over thinking the process please this will drive you crazy just mix all paints as posted then as you are mixing the paints it will change to either light grey add more paint an mix /dark grey what ever you desire outer grey sole color to be i hope this helps

ok, i found some bullseye 123, but not in spray form, only in the tin, but its a 1l tub, which is quite a lot. I also saw a few others by the same manufacturer, bullseye 123 is water based while the other ones are solvent based and oil based.

Zinsser UK - mjs1

does it matter which one is used? Reason is that the only one available in spray form is the oil based one called "Cover Stain".

Let me know if you think any of these are good or not.
thanks

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back