Lighted moebius galactica. ** DONE**

Re: Lighted moebius galactica.

Hey!...that is great. Could you please share as to how you weathered the piece.
I used dark ghost gray for the color, than I used black liquid shoe polish for the weathering. If you do this make sure that you do a small section at a time because after you apply it you have to make sure you can wipe off the excess and rube in the polish right away. Your basically staining the model. After that i will use a piece of 000 steel wool and lightly go over the raised areas.

I used dark ghost gray for the color, than I used black liquid shoe polish for the weathering. If you do this make sure that you do a small section at a time because after you apply it you have to make sure you can wipe off the excess and rube in the polish right away. Your basically staining the model. After that i will use a piece of 000 steel wool and lightly go over the raised areas.

I've watched your model building ability progress over on the Propworx site, and this looks to be one of the cleanest builds so far. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Guy

Today i revisited the idea that i canned yesterday and started doing between the ribs ,very time consuming and not exactly what i was hoping for but i think it will work. I also started doing the upper engines and added the lights to them.

000_0375.jpg

000_0377.jpg

000_0378.jpg

000_0379.jpg

000_0380.jpg

000_0381.jpg

000_0382.jpg

Well i took me a few hours to do the detail between the ribs but im done with that now(thank god).I was able to get the upper hull and engines done and painted ,weathering tomorrow . Than i started on the lower engines got them 90% done. ,I posted some pictures on how i attached the led lights and how i ran the wires (did the same with the top but forgot to take the photos before i glued them up) .Note on the lower engines you need to make a piece to fasten the led light to .You can see it in the photos.

008-71.jpg

015-38.jpg

012-51.jpg

010-63.jpg

014-37.jpg

016-35.jpg

Mad scientist at work:

011-61.jpg

Today's progress: Weathered the top half of the hull and engines. Painted the bottom half of the hull and engines. Weathered and installed the lights in the bay retraction areas,and started working on the landing bays. You can see how i plan to light the bays. Looks like i will have to modify the PE set a little to fit the lights but i can handle that. I also had to modify the arms to run the wires for the lights.

000_0385.jpg

004-119.jpg

005-113.jpg

006-91.jpg

003-132.jpg

001-126.jpg

007-93.jpg

008-72.jpg

009-77.jpg

011-62.jpg

Small update: I worked on the landing bays last night and this morning and here some early shots of what i got. I'm using 2 white leds one in each arm. I had to modify the PE piece a little and if your using them to i recommend doing what i did. If you look in any shots of the inside of the bays you see a few square tubing going the length of the bays so i used some very small square rod pieces and copied that down both sides to stiffen the assembly up after i cut hole's in the top of it for the lights.

002-140.jpg

003-133.jpg

004-120.jpg

005-114.jpg

Heads up: when you apply you landing bay decals make sure you check it against the upper piece very easy to get misaligned, if you don't it will end up looking like crap when you glue it on. I almost messed mine up but was able to fix it before it dried.

I have followed all of your threads and I have to say nice work! Your passion for all things BSG really shows in your finished pieces. When you have a genre that you really dig, the finished product looks that much better. Keep up the good work!

Today's progress: 1st i weathered the bottom piece. Than i worked on the two middle lights in the main engine, you have to make your own base to mount your leds in and you have to make sure you drill the holes for the light in the right place so that they are directly behind the divit in the lens so it looks right.( Still have to paint the clear piece and paint the black around the light base )
I also installed a tiny switch in the bottom that will allow me to turn off the 2 main engines and leave the 4 outer ones on.(See pictures) Like is seen in the show at times. Last but not least I worked on one of the landing bays and got it glued up . Make sure that you pay attention to my decal remark a couple post back if you look at my decal its still a tiny bit off on one end but a lot better than it was.

011-63.jpg

012-52.jpg

013-48.jpg

009-78.jpg

010-64.jpg

006-92.jpg

008-73.jpg

015-39.jpg

Hey!...I just noticed your "Toaster" Tarts in the first pic...LoL.
When you are finished with this baby could you please post something...pics...youtube anything on how you weathered this with shoepolish....Thanks.

Looking great, so keep it coming! IMO, and I'm guessing yours of course, adding lighting to it adds a whole other level to the model. I can't wait to see how it all comes out. I'm guessing you plan on having the wires go through some kind of hollow tube into a base as a stand?

Cheers,

Guy

Worked on the landing bays this morning got one done and ready for paint and the other almost ready. I also added some detail to the out side. Note if lighting the the bays put the bay arms in the bay retraction section and drill the holes for the wires its easier (see pictures ) Theirs also a shot of how the light ends up in the bay with the PE set. When my mail came in i got my turrets from timeslip, there nice and i put them on the head piece this evening. There is also a shot of the base that I'm making ,the wires will go down the tube to a battery box with a switch on it.

002-141.jpg

004-121.jpg

005-115.jpg

009-79.jpg

006-93.jpg

007-94.jpg

010-65.jpg

011-64.jpg

012-53.jpg

013-49.jpg

014-38.jpg

008-74.jpg

Mid day update: got both landing bays done and painted , weathering coming later ,couple people wanted to no how i was gong to paint with out missing up the decals ( in one picture you can see where i put a small piece of cardboard over the decal to protect it) theirs a few photos of that. Also got the rear engine piece painted and took a couple of shots of the out come.

004-122.jpg

009-80.jpg

008-75.jpg

012-54.jpg

015-40.jpg

016-36.jpg

005-116.jpg

010-66.jpg

011-65.jpg

Its all together and weathered and i added the rest of the turrets but i cant assemble it until i get the decals for the retraction bays, it should be sometime at the end of this week ,beginning of next. Think I will do a little detail painting in the mean time.Plus it might take me that long to fit all the wires in it so i can button it up.

017-26.jpg

018-26.jpg

019-23.jpg

020-31.jpg

023-12.jpg

Looking good. Can't wait to see it all button up and lighted pics in a dark room.

Just out of curiosity, you have an order link to the etch & guns? I looked on timeslip's site and didn't see them listed.

*edit*
Nevermind. Found the etch parts from paragrafix

Last edited:

Looks great! Glad to finnaly see one getting built, I get mine on friday not sure how I'll go about it but great reference here if I do deciede to light it.

I'm a little new here and would like to know where you got the extras for your build.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back