KISS: Gene Simmons - Dynasty, Monster and now CREATURES of the NIGHT Costume Nov 3

Re: DAVIDYR1'S 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Gene Simmons Costume - Dynasty

David,
First, your costume looks sick.

Awesome, thank you!

My KISS tribute is going to Dynasty suits in a few months. I have a few questions.
1. You mentioned that that Destroyer armor was used as the chasis for the original Dynasty suit. Did you use any sort of chasis or hard mount for your armor, or is that white sheet foam your chasis?
No I just used 1/2 foam sheets. I cut them into the basic Destroyer shapes and built up from there.

2. You are using some type of foam sheets. How thick are these sheets, and where did you buy them from?
I've been using different thicknesses from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch depending on where I want the bulk. Shoulders are 1 1/2, Chest is 1 inch and the rest is 1/2 with heavy cotton dipped in latex build up. I had some foam sheeting in house, and bought the rest at Canadian Tire in their camping section. $12.00 per roll as a mattress VS $70+ per meter at the fabric store. You do the math...and trust me, just go to a camping supply area and buy their foam mattresses...it's the same thing as what you buy from Fabricland.

3. The cotton sheets look like gauze. Is that what you're using?
No that's not gauze...it's the cotton sheeting used for Halloween webs and Christmas decorations. I bought 2 rolls of this stuff for like $6.00 each...with plenty to spare. I just rip chunks off of the roll, dip them in latex, and stretch them around the foam shapes.

4. What latex do you use, where can it be purchased, and how long does it take to dry?
I used Latex Rubber FMF 5 Gal(20L) (223625) ...because I wanted a watery latex which would make it spray-able without having to dilute it. I usually heat it dry instantly with a heat gun...takes seconds or a few short minutes at best...otherwise if I've done a thick build up and there's a lot of latex then I'll just put a fan on it and come back to it in about 15 min and keep working. As for where to buy latex...I'm in Canada so Sculpture Supply Canada - plaster, silicone, carving stones, Toronto but if you're in the USA then try MonsterMakers.

5. How will you fasten the chest to you?

Thanks!
It'll probably have a zipper down the back, and also open up in the mid front. Again, not 100% sure yet as this does keep evolving but now that it's pretty much done, I do have to decide what's best to take this on and off...and I'm not a fan of needing help to suit up so not sure about the back zip just yet...we'll see.

Hope this helps bud!

David

Re: DAVIDYR1'S 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Gene Simmons Costume - Dynasty

Awesome, thank you!

No I just used 1/2 foam sheets. I cut them into the basic Destroyer shapes and built up from there.

I've been using different thicknesses from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch depending on where I want the bulk. Shoulders are 1 1/2, Chest is 1 inch and the rest is 1/2 with heavy cotton dipped in latex build up. I had some foam sheeting in house, and bought the rest at Canadian Tire in their camping section. $12.00 per roll as a mattress VS $70+ per meter at the fabric store. You do the math...and trust me, just go to a camping supply area and buy their foam mattresses...it's the same thing as what you buy from Fabricland.

No that's not gauze...it's the cotton sheeting used for Halloween webs and Christmas decorations. I bought 2 rolls of this stuff for like $6.00 each...with plenty to spare. I just rip chunks off of the roll, dip them in latex, and stretch them around the foam shapes.

I used Latex Rubber FMF 5 Gal(20L) (223625) ...because I wanted a watery latex which would make it spray-able without having to dilute it. I usually heat it dry instantly with a heat gun...takes seconds or a few short minutes at best...otherwise if I've done a thick build up and there's a lot of latex then I'll just put a fan on it and come back to it in about 15 min and keep working. As for where to buy latex...I'm in Canada so Sculpture Supply Canada - plaster, silicone, carving stones, Toronto but if you're in the USA then try MonsterMakers.

It'll probably have a zipper down the back, and also open up in the mid front. Again, not 100% sure yet as this does keep evolving but now that it's pretty much done, I do have to decide what's best to take this on and off...and I'm not a fan of needing help to suit up so not sure about the back zip just yet...we'll see.

Hope this helps bud!

David

David,
Thanks!
Do I need that quantity of latex for one suit?
Do I need to spray the latex on, or could I just brush it on?

You go, bro!

You wouldn't consider selling this after Halloween?

Sorry, but I won't be selling this. I've wanted to make this for myself for the better part of the last twenty years....and now I'm finally in the home stretch.:cool
Actually I've already been offered $5000.00 as is with boots finished in the same fashion, but I turned him down too. This is the only one I plan to do, and it's for myself...Sorry bud but my process is being well documented for anyone else wanting to give this a go...and it's very doable on your own.:thumbsup

No I don't think you'll need quite that much but then again I haven't started the boots yet either.
Yes you can just brush the latex on, but when you do that you disturb the cotton detailing, which is why I prefer to just spray it....but it's not absolutely necessary.

Boots...I may start them tonight, but I've not taken a break from this literally every evening since I started and may just take the evening off....but I can't wait to start them.

David

Sorry, but I won't be selling this. I've wanted to make this for myself for the better part of the last twenty years....and now I'm finally in the home stretch.:cool
Actually I've already been offered $5000.00 as is with boots finished in the same fashion, but I turned him down too. This is the only one I plan to do, and it's for myself...Sorry bud but my process is being well documented for anyone else wanting to give this a go...and it's very doable on your own.:thumbsup

No I don't think you'll need quite that much but then again I haven't started the boots yet either.
Yes you can just brush the latex on, but when you do that you disturb the cotton detailing, which is why I prefer to just spray it....but it's not absolutely necessary.

Boots...I may start them tonight, but I've not taken a break from this literally every evening since I started and may just take the evening off....but I can't wait to start them.

David

I remember when I built to Ghostbuster proton packs. It was a massive race against the clock. 3 months of working in the garage. I made it, but barely.
Jess0014.jpg

I wonder if I could spray on a coat of plasti dip, then brush on the latex? Or rather, do they make latex in rattle can form?

Cool Packs!

You really dont want to put latex over plastidip because it will peel off, where as when latex is brushed over foam, it bleeds into the pours and wont come apart. You can plastidip it all black at the end, before you dry brush the silver but I would strongly suggest only dong that at the end. I guess simply put, you really cant cheat the process ...but the process is rather straight forward. With your build experience already, I'm sure you could do this suit on your own in a heartbeat.:thumbsup

No, latex does not come in a spray can, that's why I have to use a spray gun with it. It's liqud rubber...comes in jars or pales only.

David

Cool Packs!

You really dont want to put latex over plastidip because it will peel off, where as when latex is brushed over foam, it bleeds into the pours and wont come apart. You can plastidip it all black at the end, before you dry brush the silver but I would strongly suggest only dong that at the end. I guess simply put, you really cant cheat the process ...but the process is rather straight forward. With your build experience already, I'm sure you could do this suit on your own in a heartbeat.:thumbsup

No, latex does not come in a spray can, that's why I have to use a spray gun with it. It's liqud rubber...comes in jars or pales only.

David
I wonder if I could spray down the cotton with that 3m adhesive. Once dried, I could brush on the latex?
Thoughts?

I have footage somewhere at home showing his costume lady doing repairs on a boot.
I seem to remember the material being super soft/flexible like this latex method you're doing. She lifted it up and squirted some glue under the flap and pushed it back down.

I'd originally seen it on one of my Kissvision bootlegs...there was one I had that was a bunch of 1979 era interviews and documentaries.
Something tells me that same footage wound up in the Kissology DVD set..

I wonder if I could spray down the cotton with that 3m adhesive. Once dried, I could brush on the latex?
Thoughts?

Yes it will work, but it wont give you the Lava details you're trying to achieve...at least it didn't work for me when I tired it. :lol

No, to get the results I'm now getting, you need to dip the cotton chunks into the latex and smear, tear and pull them around your armor sections. The cotton needs to be imbedded into the latex for this to work.
Of course you're welcome to try other ways, but this is what has been working now for me...but do experiment with it until you find what works for you. We all have different comfort zones when working so by all means...give it a try!

David

I have footage somewhere at home showing his costume lady doing repairs on a boot.
I seem to remember the material being super soft/flexible like this latex method you're doing. She lifted it up and squirted some glue under the flap and pushed it back down.

I'd originally seen it on one of my Kissvision bootlegs...there was one I had that was a bunch of 1979 era interviews and documentaries.
Something tells me that same footage wound up in the Kissology DVD set..

That's some pretty cool insider information. Thanks for posting that bud. :thumbsup
I do believe the cotton latex approach to be what they did originally...but of course I can't confirm that I'm doing it like they did exactly. I'm sure there was more to it when they did it, but I am seeing cool results just the same. :)
The cotton and latex has been confirmed to me by several people in the know, including people associated to the original maker of this suit...but thanks for basically reconfirming this.

:thumbsup

David

Yes it will work, but it wont give you the Lava details you're trying to achieve...at least it didn't work for me when I tired it. :lol

No, to get the results I'm now getting, you need to dip the cotton chunks into the latex and smear, tear and pull them around your armor sections. The cotton needs to be imbedded into the latex for this to work.
Of course you're welcome to try other ways, but this is what has been working now for me...but do experiment with it until you find what works for you. We all have different comfort zones when working so by all means...give it a try!

David
So I should dip the cotton, stretch it, etc. Stick it to the foam, dry it with hot air drier? From there I could brush more latex on when the cotton is dried and in place?

So I should dip the cotton, stretch it, etc. Stick it to the foam, dry it with hot air drier? From there I could brush more latex on when the cotton is dried and in place?

Yup! That's exactly what I've been doing.:thumbsup

David

Started the boot leggings...Working on a flat surface and once I'm done with the latex lava-like detailing I'll remove it from the base, wrap it on my mannequin leg and trim it accordingly.

IMG_5511_zpse83b1672.jpg

This part is taking a lot of latex but it's going to work fine.

David

That's some pretty cool insider information. Thanks for posting that bud. :thumbsup
I do believe the cotton latex approach to be what they did originally...but of course I can't confirm that I'm doing it like they did exactly. I'm sure there was more to it when they did it, but I am seeing cool results just the same. :)
The cotton and latex has been confirmed to me by several people in the know, including people associated to the original maker of this suit...but thanks for basically reconfirming this.

:thumbsup

David

No prob.
So, I was really curious about seeing that footage again, and I was wrong...it did not make it onto the kissology DVDs.
It's on the bootleg, 1979 KISS TV collection...aka 1979 KISS Media Collection.
They followed the lady around for a couple minutes as she described her role.
She worked on gene's boot as it is draped over a chair, and she picks at it.
5:15 mark in this video....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FIitl1o5K2c

Last edited:

Awesome, thanks bud. I just watched it and that's pretty much how I pictured them when not worn.:thumbsup. This really does help and make me feel even better about my chosen way of making my replicas.:thumbsup

I just peeled my latex sheet off of the base and wrapped it around my platform boot....and the results are pretty darn cool. I'm feeling extremely encouraged by these first results and can already picture them finished....and that's a good thing because now I'll be starting my wife's version of this suit too. :love

David

Awesome, thanks bud. I just watched it and that's pretty much how I pictured them when not worn.:thumbsup. This really does help and make me feel even better about my chosen way of making my replicas.:thumbsup

I just peeled my latex sheet off of the base and wrapped it around my platform boot....and the results are pretty darn cool. I'm feeling extremely encouraged by these first results and can already picture them finished....and that's a good thing because now I'll be starting my wife's version of this suit too. :love

David
How are you attaching the material to the boot?

So here's last night's progress.
First boot is done. :thumbsup Now it just needs silver dry brushing but I'll be doing the paint on the whole suit all at once.

Second boot will be done this evening....and let me be perfectly honest here....It feels rather 'powerful' wearing these and walking around! :lol

IMG_5524_zps97b6d4b3.jpg

IMG_5522_zps9a5f9005.jpg

IMG_5521_zps23277ead.jpg

IMG_5519_zps35bdff3b.jpg

IMG_5518_zps120be2e8.jpg

All this took was to cover the boot 'foot' part in latexed cotton...then once the leg part was dry I peeled it off of the flat surface and wrapped it around the platform boot. Added more cotton and latex to the seam area...blended it all together, added a zipper...painted black and here we are.
Just to clarify, the leg part is only attached to the boots foot part. The leg part of the platform boot is not attached to my longer leg part...otherwise I'd never be able to move!
This way, movement is perfect in every pose...yes, I already tried. :lol

More to come...we're in the home stretch now!

David

So here's last night's progress.
First boot is done. :thumbsup Now it just needs silver dry brushing but I'll be doing the paint on the whole suit all at once.

Second boot will be done this evening....and let me be perfectly honest here....It feels rather 'powerful' wearing these and walking around! :lol

IMG_5524_zps97b6d4b3.jpg

IMG_5522_zps9a5f9005.jpg

IMG_5521_zps23277ead.jpg

IMG_5519_zps35bdff3b.jpg

IMG_5518_zps120be2e8.jpg

All this took was to cover the boot 'foot' part in latexed cotton...then once the leg part was dry I peeled it off of the flat surface and wrapped it around the platform boot. Added more cotton and latex to the seam area...blended it all together, added a zipper...painted black and here we are.
Just to clarify, the leg part is only attached to the boots foot part. The leg part of the platform boot is not attached to my longer leg part...otherwise I'd never be able to move!
This way, movement is perfect in every pose...yes, I already tried. :lol

More to come...we're in the home stretch now!

David

Excellent work.
Questions:

1. How did you attach the latexed cotton to the boot, foot part?

2. I think you wrote that you only attached the leg sleeve part you made to the boot, near the ankle area. How did you attach the leg sleeve to the boot?

3. You said you added a zipper to the sleeve. Is the sleeve material strong enough to handle being sewn to a zipper?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back