KISS: Gene Simmons - Dynasty, Monster and now CREATURES of the NIGHT Costume Nov 3

DAVIDYR1

Official Licensee
With barely 1 month left before Halloween I've decided to build Gene's Lava costume.

Corbis-BE074152_zps3e01e0aa.jpg

eff26a164ffd37a65416c2b960816f8c6a12af8f_r_zps8f77567c.jpg

Thanks to some RPF'ers and FB friends I'm starting to get a better perspective on how the original was made.

Now, onto the build pics...oh wait, I don't have any yet! :lol

I'll have some soon..but in the meantime I could use some guidance.
Anyone with pics of this suit? Any behind the scenes images that could help with the build?

I really want to do this right...and my girls are going to be helping me too. They're 4.5 yrs old and love KISS. We've already started making their suits, but they want Daddy to be Gene Simmons...which is totally cool with me! :lol

Any tips, suggestions or help will be strongly appreciated.

Once I get going on this you can expect to see my usual inundation of WIP pics flooding the thread...but for now, I'd like to build an archive of images.

**Edit
Per the rules of the RPF Halloween Costume Contest, here's a bit of my background.
Universal Designs Ltd. started off as a costume making company in 2001...where for 8 long years I sculpted all sorts of body armor costumes, made body casts, negative molds and used most materials available...from latex to urethane...but found a happy working relationship with Silicone cast costumes.
Furthermore I did all sorts of seminars and tutorials for Smooth-On, including life-casting seminars on their behalf for Cirque du Soleil, O and other similar shows out in Vegas.
That was pretty much the general gist of it until 2008...and virtually everything I've done since that date is here on the RPF in the archives somewhere.

This particular Gene Simmons Lava suit is totally new to me. I've never used cotton dipped in latex to sculpt with, so this is completely new territory 'costuming' wise...but I'm having a blast doing it!

Thanks, and more to come!

David

Last edited:
Re: Gene Simmons Costume - Dynasty and Unmasked 'Lava' Costume WIP

Not the easiest Simmons costume to re-create. Since it's only a Halloween costume, I'd Keep It Simple Sir... by using insulation spray foam to get the organic look. I'm sure the real thing was probably sculpted, molded and cast, though. I always wondered if they used Destroyer armor as a base and built on that.

Not the easiest Simmons costume to re-create. Since it's only a Halloween costume, I'd Keep It Simple Sir... by using insulation spray foam to get the organic look. I'm sure the real thing was probably sculpted, molded and cast, though. I always wondered if they used Destroyer armor as a base and built on that.

Thanks bud, and now that I've been contacted by someone connected to the making of the actual suit, it seems that this was in fact made over an existing Destroyer armor base. Latex and cotton built up over the armor base...maybe not the entire armor Destroyer armor but, that's how it was done originally.:love
Prior to what I know now, I was considering coating carved foam pieces with silicone. I've never been a huge fan of expanding insulation foam used this way because it's just not controllable in how it expands...and I'm looking to keep the 'details'...or rather the proportions as bang on as possible....so now I'm starting to lean towards the latex and cotton build up...and absolutely as you say, keep it simple.:thumbsup

So, the build info has started accumulating...hoping more details surface.:cool

David

Latex and cotton? Now, that is KISS! I haven't seen much info on the Dynasty costume. KISS Fanshop was one of the first places on the 'net I'd ever seen a collected history of their costumes.

Looking forward to seeing the progress. I remember this being one of the things we talked about when we first met those many years ago.

OK...we have some progress. :) It took 3 hours but I wanted to do a mock up and see if the whole cotton and Latex thing would work...and, it does. :thumbsup

IMG_1327_zps7623a5c0.jpg

IMG_1326_zpse4ddfc27.jpg

IMG_1325_zps574463b5.jpg

IMG_1324_zps162fd2ab.jpg

Now I can move onto the other half of the chest and finish off the back.
Painting it is by far the hardest part I think.
The latex base is black but dry brushing the silver on 'effectively' is not as easy as I thought it was going to be...Still, this was supposed to be a mock up, or proof of concept but I am rather pleased with how it's shaping up.
Still needs the lava globs but the texture 'seems' to be on the right track.

Comments and feedback absolutely welcome!!!!

David

I have always loved this costume, my fav by far!!! Could you please explain a bit more about this cotton, latex build-up method? LOVE how it is coming out!!! Might have to try one myself :)

I have always loved this costume, my fav by far!!! Could you please explain a bit more about this cotton, latex build-up method? LOVE how it is coming out!!! Might have to try one myself :)

Thanks bud...and here's a more detailed look at how I'm doing this build.

I'm actually farther ahead than shown but need to take new pics. I've already tried it on and it fits like a glove and weighs less than 2 lbs.
Starting the opposite side. General armor shapes outlined.
IMG_1334_zps6663f8c9.jpg

Armor shapes cut out and glued down...using quick setting spray adhesive. Between cutting the shapes and attaching them to the base it took about 10 min.
IMG_1338_zpsa50805e8.jpg

Spray adhesive on the armor shapes and cotton sheets pressed over.
IMG_1339_zps1df53355.jpg

Quickly coated with watered down latex to bond the cotton to the foam shapes.
IMG_1340_zps51d57f49.jpg

Hit the latex with a heat guy and it dries almost instantly. Cut out the tooth shape from foam, attach to latex coated armor.
IMG_1342_zps503a08c4.jpg

Start spreading more cotton around the tooth.
IMG_1343_zpsb1424fd5.jpg

Coat repeatedly in latex. At this stage it's always been watered down latex. After about the 4th coat of watered down latex...start using thickened latex to build up the lava like shapes.
IMG_1345_zpse4b7df94.jpg

Sorry I don't have more, and it is pretty much done now...more to come. I hope this helps others give it a go!

David

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Great info there, will look into getting some materials I think :)

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Great info there, will look into getting some materials I think :)

Awesome dude!

A little more progress...
I think I'm really starting to find my groove. Still lots to go but it's getting there. Shoulder comes too far down to the bicep...looks like it still needs more trimming and shaving. Once the entire thing is coated properly and with lava like details I'll start spraying heavy layers of latex over it all. I'm really having fun with this!

IMG_1350_zpsf2561c38.jpg

EDIT*
I just did a little more....I extended the bottom edge about 2 inches, admittedly it was a little short in the lower ribcage area...and started going really heavy with the directional lava shapes. Still needs more 'flowing' lava and bubble globs but it's really getting there now.

IMG_1355_zps332e2a64.jpg

More to come... :guitar

David

Last edited:

A little more progress...wish I had taken the flash off of the camera, sorry about that. Once the other arm is done I'll be coating it in heavy layers of sprayed black latex...followed by the silver - chrome dry brush finish.

IMG_1358_zpsb686186f.jpg

The forearm is a little too brick shaped for my liking and needs to be tapered a bit more towards the wrist...but it's getting there. Not bad for around 7 hours total work on this.

IMG_1360_zps05be95b8.jpg

The entire upper torso should be done in about a week or so...and I'm pretty sure this will have a finished back as well ... because I'm hoping to go cape-less on this one. We'll see... :popcorn

Thanks again!

David

Looking great David! Can't wait to see this finished!

LOL...yea okay. :lol

It's been nearly 5 years since I've done anything like this...and so now I feel like I've just come out of retirement ready to take on the challenge one more time....
....only to find myself surrounded by sculptors and costume makers that far surpass anything I've ever done. :love
What Unbelievable Talent! TMNT Silicone Suits, N7 Armor, Witchblade outfits, Silicone Masks, Foam Pattern Work, Spandex suits, Muscle suits...tonnes of awesome pep work and the list goes on and on and on!!

So in short, yes... I'll be fast at work here, but in the meantime I tip my hat to the fine folks on the RPF for raising the bar and their incredible commitment to costume making as a whole. :thumbsup

Oh and I looove the smell of latex in the morning!
NOT!

David

Wow...looking great! I have a little project that can use just that kind of texture you have created. So I have a question: I've been using Mehron Latex in the bottle and applying it by hand... I did not know you can cut it with water, I was under the impression you cut it with ammonia as needed (was told that, but haven't tried it). Are you spraying it from a gun after thinning it?

Wow...looking great! I have a little project that can use just that kind of texture you have created. So I have a question: I've been using Mehron Latex in the bottle and applying it by hand... I did not know you can cut it with water, I was under the impression you cut it with ammonia as needed (was told that, but haven't tried it). Are you spraying it from a gun after thinning it?

I'm using regular tap water but distilled water is best as it wont irritate the rubberized aspect of the latex causing it to glob up. In my case, the globing up is not an issue as it serves my detail purpose.
I'm using an already watered down brand of latex, watery enough to spray out as-is through a spray gun...no need to dilute it in this case.

I've been adding water to it to make it even watery-er so that it would penetrate deep into the cotton and foam details, which I've been applying by hand by sponging the latex onto and pressing it into the cotton shapes...that's the only reason why I've added water but yes, you can dilute latex properly. Just add distilled water...and that said I'm not familiar with your brand of latex, so do a small test first. :thumbsup

I used to add distilled water to latex years ago when airbrushing my latex parts, so yes it does work.

David

I am surprised Rylo isn't all over this thread like a fat kid on cake!

Here's yesterday's pics....
Side view, and I may shorten the rib cage down a bit. I made it longer and come down farther but I think I may have over done that.

IMG_1383_zpsce7b7ac3.jpg

The neck line is too thick and needs to be thinned out and opened up...quick trim, seam...then the torso can be dry brushed the proper silver colors.

IMG_1379_zps8d778777.jpg

Arms and shoulders done...Shoulder is trimmed but bicep and forearms need to be cut off of the base fleece sleeve...Silver and chrome dry brushing is next!

IMG_1372_zps12822cec.jpg

Already working on the elbow armor...back is pretty much done but haven't moved the mannequin around to take any new pics. Still plugging away but not bad for a week's work and around 10 hours total from start to where I'm at now...and only evenings after my kids have gone to bed. :cool

More to come. :)

David

Re: Gene Simmons Costume - Dynasty and Unmasked 'Lava' Costume WIP Updated 10/13

Here's the latest...and yes I redid the look entirely. :)
The piece in between the pecs is just a random piece of trimmed foam put in there to see eventually how this will look when done. Totally redid the armor details, shoulders need to flare out a bit more and have the edges finished. Painting this evening...wish me luck! Oh and the spike on the one elbow armor is yet again just a piece of foam cut into shape to see how it may look when done.

IMG_5506_zpsf10a6a93.jpg

The reason why I redid the armor details is simple...I just couldn't get the painting to work as I wanted. My first tests were very encouraging but once I got down to the finishing work, it just needed to be more organic...so I shifted the design to this version of the armor...and I'm much happier that I did. Now the paint work makes sense when I apply it and it looks real from all angles. Almost there...assuming I don't continue to change it. :)

David

Re: DAVIDYR1'S 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Gene Simmons Costume - Dynasty

David,
First, your costume looks sick.

My KISS tribute is going to Dynasty suits in a few months. I have a few questions.
1. You mentioned that that Destroyer armor was used as the chasis for the original Dynasty suit. Did you use any sort of chasis or hard mount for your armor, or is that white sheet foam your chasis?
2. You are using some type of foam sheets. How thick are these sheets, and where did you buy them from?
3. The cotton sheets look like gauze. Is that what you're using?
4. What latex do you use, where can it be purchased, and how long does it take to dry?
5. How will you fasten the chest to you?

Thanks!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back