KISS: Gene Simmons - Dynasty, Monster and now CREATURES of the NIGHT Costume Nov 3

Re: DAVIDYR1'S 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Gene Simmons Costume - Dynasty

Excellent work.
Questions:

1. How did you attach the latexed cotton to the boot, foot part?

2. I think you wrote that you only attached the leg sleeve part you made to the boot, near the ankle area. How did you attach the leg sleeve to the boot?

3. You said you added a zipper to the sleeve. Is the sleeve material strong enough to handle being sewn to a zipper?

Thanks bud!!!

1. All I did was dip cotton into the latex and press it onto the foot part of the boot. I wrapped the whole foot part from the toes to the heel, and the platform parts...that's all. That way when I had my leg part ready to wrap around the boot leg part....it would have something to anchor down to, meaning latex to latex.

2. Correct, my leg part is not attached to the black vinyl boot leg part underneath. When I wrapped my latex leg part around the boot, I attached it to the latex foot work I had done previously ONLY. Besides, it fits so tight onto the boot leg base anyhow that it doesn't need to be glued to it. Had it been, then I'd not be able to move my legs well. This way as I walk, the two leg parts shift independently from one another, not pulling against one another or making it difficult for me to walk.

3. Yes the leg part is incredibly strong. In the photos it's just the boot with nothing inside of it...and see how the boots stand up on their own? Trust me, they're strong...very strong...and flexible. Yes, stronger than most off the shelf fabrics now. Consider that the base material alone was thick, strong fleece...that I then coated with latexed cotton batting. The end result is a very strong rubberized fabric so yes, stitching a zipper to it is not an issue. :)

Glad you dig it dude. :thumbsup

David

Re: DAVIDYR1'S 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Gene Simmons Costume - Dynasty

Thanks bud!!!

1. All I did was dip cotton into the latex and press it onto the foot part of the boot. I wrapped the whole foot part from the toes to the heel, and the platform parts...that's all. That way when I had my leg part ready to wrap around the boot leg part....it would have something to anchor down to, meaning latex to latex.

2. Correct, my leg part is not attached to the black vinyl boot leg part underneath. When I wrapped my latex leg part around the boot, I attached it to the latex foot work I had done previously ONLY. Besides, it fits so tight onto the boot leg base anyhow that it doesn't need to be glued to it. Had it been, then I'd not be able to move my legs well. This way as I walk, the two leg parts shift independently from one another, not pulling against one another or making it difficult for me to walk.

3. Yes the leg part is incredibly strong. In the photos it's just the boot with nothing inside of it...and see how the boots stand up on their own? Trust me, they're strong...very strong...and flexible. Yes, stronger than most off the shelf fabrics now. Consider that the base material alone was thick, strong fleece...that I then coated with latexed cotton batting. The end result is a very strong rubberized fabric so yes, stitching a zipper to it is not an issue. :)

Glad you dig it dude. :thumbsup

David

Wait, what material did you use for the leg sleeve? I thought it was the same foam sheets you used for the base of your armor?

Did you prep the boot's surface in any way to aid in latex adhesion to the boot? I would never think latex would stay bonded to a vinyl boot.

Wait, what material did you use for the leg sleeve? I thought it was the same foam sheets you used for the base of your armor?

Did you prep the boot's surface in any way to aid in latex adhesion to the boot? I would never think latex would stay bonded to a vinyl boot.

No...there are no foam sheets on the leg part or boots other than the bone spikes. I carved those out of foam and dipped them in latex.

Go back up and look at the pic of the leg sleeve, you'll see it flat on a board, right? The cotton dipped in latex is perfectly visible there...and the black outline you see it placed on is a sheet of black fleece. The cotton dipped in latex is spread out and bonded to the fleece backing you see there. When it was dry the whole sheet became one big piece...black fleece and all.:cool

No, nothing was done to the boot surface. However the whole foot part is covered so it's never going to pull away or pop off. It's as if it's been dipped in latex and as such is it's own flexible boot shell. Still, the latex grabbed onto it very well...and it's not coming off.

Here's how I'm approaching this build in general...The bottom line is the originals Gene wore were somehow done in a similar fashion. Not exactly this way but along these lines, and I'm sure they faced similar issues and concerns...so I'm trying to not over-think this too much. There's a basic logic here...latex, cotton...stick to base surfaces be it chest, arm and shoulder armor, as well as boots. Latex and Cotton...then more latex and cotton...the more you do, the more this makes sense...and the more you start to see it come to life. Sure, I'm sort of winging it as I go, but some aspects of this build just 'make sense' to me to do them THIS way.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong...and I have no idea exactly how the originals were made, but can only guess that I'm 'sort of' on the right track.:$

David

I didn't realize I took a pic of the boot as I was assembling it.
If you look closely you can see the seam running across the bridge of the foot that I blended the leg part and top of foot part together. You can follow that seam all across the foot and base of leg part.
At the top you can see the black fleece, which was not as of yet cut straight or shaped with the curved edges.

IMG_5514_zpsdc99d3d7.jpg

This is how it looked before the rest of the detailing...pretty boring and ugly, but even at this stage I had a pretty good feeling about it all working as it should.:cool

I hope this helps bud.

David

No...there are no foam sheets on the leg part or boots other than the bone spikes. I carved those out of foam and dipped them in latex.

Go back up and look at the pic of the leg sleeve, you'll see it flat on a board, right? The cotton dipped in latex is perfectly visible there...and the black outline you see it placed on is a sheet of black fleece. The cotton dipped in latex is spread out and bonded to the fleece backing you see there. When it was dry the whole sheet became one big piece...black fleece and all.:cool

No, nothing was done to the boot surface. However the whole foot part is covered so it's never going to pull away or pop off. It's as if it's been dipped in latex and as such is it's own flexible boot shell. Still, the latex grabbed onto it very well...and it's not coming off.

Here's how I'm approaching this build in general...The bottom line is the originals Gene wore were somehow done in a similar fashion. Not exactly this way but along these lines, and I'm sure they faced similar issues and concerns...so I'm trying to not over-think this too much. There's a basic logic here...latex, cotton...stick to base surfaces be it chest, arm and shoulder armor, as well as boots. Latex and Cotton...then more latex and cotton...the more you do, the more this makes sense...and the more you start to see it come to life. Sure, I'm sort of winging it as I go, but some aspects of this build just 'make sense' to me to do them THIS way.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong...and I have no idea exactly how the originals were made, but can only guess that I'm 'sort of' on the right track.:$

David

So latex stays bonded to vinyl? Gosh, I thought it would peel right off. In my head, I see it similar to painting plastic wth latex paint (peels).

I'm not ultra familiar with latex. I can see it bonding well with porous materials like the fleece. vinyl boots? Not so much. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

I just saw what you meant about making the sleeves out of fleece. A great idea.

So incredibly cool man. Loving the build! :thumbsup

When you're done I'd love to see this in person!

So incredibly cool man. Loving the build! :thumbsup

When you're done I'd love to see this in person!

Glad you dig it dude! Hey, what are you doing this Saturday night? I'm sponsoring the Silver Snail Halloween Party in Downtown Toronto. If you don't already have plans, why not suit up and come hang out...:love:cool

....over $1,000.00 in UD Replicas prizes to be given away!
- ok, end self promotion.:lol

So last night I started painting the armor...and it's not as easy as it looks.

It's going to take layers and washes of silver, black and chrome repeated over and over to get it right.

LavaSuitprogress_zpsde1325ff.jpg

The other boot is almost done, and all spikes are carved and ready to be installed. If all goes well this evening I 'may' be done with the paint and assembly of the armor making it ready to wear...we'll see how it goes.

David

Glad you dig it dude! Hey, what are you doing this Saturday night? I'm sponsoring the Silver Snail Halloween Party in Downtown Toronto. If you don't already have plans, why not suit up and come hang out...:love:cool

....over $1,000.00 in UD Replicas prizes to be given away!
- ok, end self promotion.:lol

Man I wish I could! I'm throwing a Halloween party the same night. :(

You should give away some UD stuff at the Christmas party this year... :love:lol

Sure David, the one year I'm not wearing anything new or special to the party!

You are a badass to make this outfit in one month. Kudos!

You are a badass to make this outfit in one month. Kudos!

Thanks bud!

Almost done with the paint...just needs a little more chrome highlights on the armor...second boot gets painted this evening.

IMG_1501_zps738f0145.jpg

Cod Piece! I didn't make it BTW and it's the only part of the whole suit that is not scratch built.
Mega Cod Piece...gets painted this evening!

IMG_1502_zps1e3b70b1.jpg

Cool pic of the side and you can see where the spikes need to be glued in. I can't believe it's been under a month since I started this and will be DONE this evening!

IMG_1510_zps8350fc08.jpg

So this beast needs to be done this evening....like I said, almost there. :)
More to come....:cool

David

Exactly 21 days from the start, the armor is done! :cool
I worked on and off on this evenings and some weekends, but thank goodness it was a straight forward build.
Everything was made from scratch except for the cod piece. That I was lucky enough to get through a friend...otherwise everything else was all made by me and finished just in time. :cool

IMG_1512_zps4ec54b3d.jpg

I'll be wearing this to the Silver Snail Halloween party this evening....where UD Replicas will be donating $1,000.00+ worth of prizes to the costume contest. :)
Make sure you say hi if you're there!:thumbsup

David

Test fitting the finished suit! Feels AMAZING, uber easy to move in and fits like a glove. I just have to cut the black collar off the undershirt and it's DONE!

IMG_1516_zps198a9045.jpg

You better watch out, cause I'm a WARMACHINE!

IMG_1518_zps84d36580.jpg

LOL....hey if it's good enough for Gene, then well...:)

IMG_1519_zpsc37a0fbe.jpg

David

Re: DAVIDYR1'S 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Gene Simmons Costume - Test Fit

You've even got the Axe bass! Now I'm really impressed!

The costume looks great. I hope we'll get to see pics with the wig and full makeup too. :thumbsup

Re: DAVIDYR1'S 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Gene Simmons Costume - Test Fit

You've even got the Axe bass! Now I'm really impressed!

The costume looks great. I hope we'll get to see pics with the wig and full makeup too. :thumbsup

Thanks dude!

So last night I was wearing higher heels and more make up than most women in the room...:lol

GeneMeSimmons_zps7d077f88.jpg

From the Silver Snail Halloween Party in downtown Toronto...What an awesome event!!!!

5 hours in this Gene Simmons costume with zero issues, and it was a blast! By far the most comfortable and easy to wear costume I've ever done....platform boots and all. :cool

Can't wait to put it all back on for Halloween night!

More to come...........this one's just a cell phone pic.

David

The makeup looks spot on! Some people just don't seem to have the head shape to pull off the Gene makeup, but it works well on you. Great wig too. It doesn't look wiggy like they often do. It really does match Gene's hair.

Bring some blood capsules with you next time. :lol

Finished suit pics taken at the start of the night. :cool

WP_001141_zpsddd70e4b.jpg

WP_001140_zps1c6d74b0.jpg

WP_001139_zps00c11222.jpg

WP_001138_zps71dbd7b3.jpg

WP_001137_zpse783b15e.jpg

WP_001135_zps2c89dba5.jpg

The makeup looks spot on! Some people just don't seem to have the head shape to pull off the Gene makeup, but it works well on you. Great wig too. It doesn't look wiggy like they often do. It really does match Gene's hair.

Bring some blood capsules with you next time. :lol

Thanks bud! Yea, I would have done the blood trick at some point in the night but I just didnt want to consider having to clean my suit later on...:lol

David

Last edited:

Love it! Don't forget that proof pic though! ;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back