KISS: Gene Simmons - Dynasty, Monster and now CREATURES of the NIGHT Costume Nov 3

Re: DAVIDYR1'S 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Gene Simmons Costume - Test Fit

Costume turned out great man!

Got s couple of pics from the Silver Snail party

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

Re: DAVIDYR1'S 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Gene Simmons Costume - Test Fit

Gene Simmons, Xena and Han Solo in the same room? I smell a crossover comic!

You've even got the tongue action happening. Time to start a tribute band, man.

So you used a vest as a chasis for the foam armor? Very cool indeed. How did you adhere the foam to the vest?

Awesome pics, thanks so much! I'm hoping someone recorded my on stage intro of when I got up to the mike...:lol

So you used a vest as a chasis for the foam armor? Very cool indeed. How did you adhere the foam to the vest?

Nope...I made a vest out of sheet foam, then built up the details onto it. Then I made the shoulders, biceps and forearms. Made sure they all fit together when wearing this all...and I had to strap them onto my body with duct tape to see the whole suit on...then and only then did I make the elbow parts....once I knew what the gap was between the bicep and forearm parts was.

All pieces were then connected to the vest with 1 inch elastic webbing.

As I installed the front middle chest part and the back zipper...both of those parts were attached or connected to about a foot of fleece on either side that I then used to coat the inside of the vest. Essentially that all became the lining instead of the sweat wicking material I had intended to use earlier on.

David

Awesome pics, thanks so much! I'm hoping someone recorded my on stage intro of when I got up to the mike...:lol

Nope...I made a vest out of sheet foam, then built up the details onto it. Then I made the shoulders, biceps and forearms. Made sure they all fit together when wearing this all...and I had to strap them onto my body with duct tape to see the whole suit on...then and only then did I make the elbow parts....once I knew what the gap was between the bicep and forearm parts was.

All pieces were then connected to the vest with 1 inch elastic webbing.

As I installed the front middle chest part and the back zipper...both of those parts were attached or connected to about a foot of fleece on either side that I then used to coat the inside of the vest. Essentially that all became the lining instead of the sweat wicking material I had intended to use earlier on.

David

Okay, so the fleece was the material used to fasten the foam to the zipper?

Were the elastic pieces permanently attached after the fleece was lined inside the foam?

Did you fabricate it, so the arms are detachable, or is it all one piece?

How did you affix the fleece to the inside of the foam vest?

Excellent job. You gave me hope for being able to pull this off. :D

Okay, so the fleece was the material used to fasten the foam to the zipper?

Yes. First I stitched the fleece to the zipper...then used contact cement to pin it into place on the inside of the back. Then, I stitched it all in place stitching the fleece through the foam and latex back part. Lastly, I coated it all in latex, which absorbed into the fleece essentially helping it to bond to the back part permanently.

Were the elastic pieces permanently attached after the fleece was lined inside the foam?
Yes, I stitched them into the sleeves starting at the top of the shoulder part of the vest, not the shoulder armor...top of vest and ran it down to the forearm. Then the shoulder was attached to the top of the vest, and I also ran a thin black elastic from each end of the shoulder armor under my arm pit so that it would hold the shoulder part in place.

Did you fabricate it, so the arms are detachable, or is it all one piece?
No...it's now all one piece and I don't have to worry about parts falling off or twisting in ways I don't want them too.

How did you affix the fleece to the inside of the foam vest?
Covered this above. :thumbsup

Excellent job. You gave me hope for being able to pull this off. :D
Trust me, it was easier than it looks...I have full faith that you'll be able to do this too.

David

I need to take a sewing class. Thanks for all of your help. You look great!

David, that's the best Gene costume I've ever seen! Question: Why does your axe bass look so tiny? I may have missed some detail earlier in the thread, but I've seen the actual bass and thought it was bigger. Yours looks like a 30" scale or 32, maybe. (Or you're just that damn huge)

David, that's the best Gene costume I've ever seen! Question: Why does your axe bass look so tiny? I may have missed some detail earlier in the thread, but I've seen the actual bass and thought it was bigger. Yours looks like a 30" scale or 32, maybe. (Or you're just that damn huge)

I'm not sure, maybe I'm too big? :lol
The Bass is 1:1 scale...but it may look smaller in the pics.
Glad you like the suit, thanks bud!

David

I'm not sure, maybe I'm too big? :lol
The Bass is 1:1 scale...but it may look smaller in the pics.
Glad you like the suit, thanks bud!

David

I've met Gene. There is no way in hell you're bigger than he is! :lol

Unbelievably god-like work done, David! You have taken the mantle of The Demon on became The Destroyer himself Dressed to Kill as All Hell Breaks Loose when you Rock N Roll All Nite along with Mr. Speed and Dr. Love because you are the God of Thunder!!

Rawk On!

Did you make that bass?

The only thing I wonder about is the fleece lining. In Canada, this may be fine, but I can just imagine the sweat and stink that lining would collect down here in South Florida. I may have to do something different to address the sweat issue.

Excellent work though!

Bandit-Jedi

Nice... Thanks dude! :thumbsup :lol
Did you make that bass?

The only thing I wonder about is the fleece lining. In Canada, this may be fine, but I can just imagine the sweat and stink that lining would collect down here in South Florida. I may have to do something different to address the sweat issue.

Excellent work though!

About the lining...consider this, it's basically an all rubber set of armor and not breathable as it is. Fortunately, the armpits, shoulders and elbows are open so this easily lets body heat escape...and the fleece lining, which is certainly not your only option...does work well because it soaks up the latex and allows it to be bonded to other surfaces easily. Once imbedded in latex, there is no more fleece, it's all rubber - basically.
Besides, I always have over 1,000+ meters of it on hand regularly which made it an easy choice and in the long run...I think the better choice simply because of how well it allowed the latex to penetrate and absorb into it.

You're not going to make something that retains less heat...that's just the way these costumes are and I know what you mean about Florida heat because I was there in Aug and hated the heat....but, there isn't really any way to make it more breathable than it already is. With all the key areas already exposed and open, this is easily the most comfortable and breathable suit I've ever constructed....and over the years I've built hundreds of rubber suits. This one tops them all in comfort, breath-ability and weight.

The Axe Bass was custom made by someone else about 8-9 years ago. Not sure exactly when...and no I did not make it personally.

David

Hey Dave,

I know this is yours but the rules state you need a "proof" photo of you with your costume and a sign that says "2012 RPF Costume Contest". I would HATE for this not to be entered because of that technicality! Please take the shot and post it, you have until tomorrow 10pm PST. :)

Hey Dave,

I know this is yours but the rules state you need a "proof" photo of you with your costume and a sign that says "2012 RPF Costume Contest". I would HATE for this not to be entered because of that technicality! Please take the shot and post it, you have until tomorrow 10pm PST. :)

Yup, I'm on it dude!!!
I'm having a :facepalm moment....but I'll absolutely get that pic for you shortly. :thumbsup
And....Thanks for the reminder bud....:thumbsup

David

Here's my totally awesome RPF costume validation pic....:$

IMG_1522_zps3272df9c.jpg

Isn't it a wonder what a costume, some make up and high heels can do to a guy?
:lol:lol:lol

"you better watch out, cause I'm 'not exactly' a war machine!' :lol
:behave

David

Oh, and this entry is complete. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back