Iron Man 3

Hahaha! Are you seriously slamming me for saying that? How exactly is it that you can like the Tony Stark character then? I highly doubt anyone would think that he would not say something similar. Regardless, I stand by by assessment. This film was no where near the "real deal" that was advertised.

Fooled me once, but not worth a repeat performance. This film tried to hard to be something it was wasn't.

Saw it a 2nd time yesterday. Really reminds me of TDKR... more an exploration of Tony Stark the man and less about Iron Man the superhero (basically what Kevin Feige said in the quote Msleeper posted above). I liked the film from that aspect, I just was taken aback the first time around because it wasn't what I was expecting.

Only thing I really didn't like no matter how I look at it:

Eiffel 65's Blue for the opening credits song instead of AC/DC!! AC/DC has been Tony's theme in both IM films AND The Avengers. Ditch that song and throw "Have a Drink on Me" in there instead. Loads better! Granted, the song they chose was playing at the New Year's Eve party they were at it's part of the time period... just didn't care for it much. Minor peeve, though. :facepalm

Last edited:
I think I can answer a few of your "plot holes" : Rhodey's suit was damaged in the process of capturing him and making him get out of the suit, but Killian says to his main henchman that they can repare it. Keep in mind that WarMachine, despite being originally Stark technology is owned by the military. The first WM was rebranded by Hammer, and here, it was rebranded by AIM, Killian's company. So they surely have had access to it, know how the software works and know how to fix any damage on it. Tony doesn't have much to say in it, since it's not his, despite hacking it from time to time :lol Maybe it was coded to Rhodes, but AIM can bypass that. Now why not just override it like Yvan in IM2 ? My guess is they couldn't as long as Rhodes was inside, or they needed to have the suit physically, but can't really explain that one. I don't understand your last questions, the plan seems simple :
1. Hijacking the Patriot
2. Get Rhodes out of it and take control over it
3. Henchman takes his place and infiltrates Air Force One
4. Capturing the president and putting him in the suit in override mode to get him back to AIM
5. Use the overrided suit as a mean to do whatever they want with the president, in this case hang him over a lot of highly inflammable fuel.
Don't know what is confusing here ? Could the plan be less complicated ? Probably, but it worked right up until Tony got involved.

In that sequence I got that the hands on the armor was to generate heat inside to force Rhodes to get out or be cooked alive. What kinda bugged me is that after getting out, the bad guys were able to hack the suit, figure out override mode, figure out how to perfectly fly it and everything they needed it to do in a matter of minutes. Just not going to happen. Of course the EXACT same thing happened in IM2, though. Rhodes walked into the basement, takes a suit, fights tony, then simply takes off to an AFB - all without missing a beat and there's no evidence he's set foot inside the armor before.

In that sequence I got that the hands on the armor was to generate heat inside to force Rhodes to get out or be cooked alive. What kinda bugged me is that after getting out, the bad guys were able to hack the suit, figure out override mode, figure out how to perfectly fly it and everything they needed it to do in a matter of minutes. Just not going to happen. Of course the EXACT same thing happened in IM2, though. Rhodes walked into the basement, takes a suit, fights tony, then simply takes off to an AFB - all without missing a beat and there's no evidence he's set foot inside the armor before.

That's no different to Pepper getting the Ironman suit thrown on her - she's never stepped foot in the suit either and managed it relatively ok.

AIM did the 'rework' on the Iron Patriot. So yeah it's normal they can work on it quickly. This was mention on the movie to explain it. Because of that, Tony was able to use the Iron Patriot and use it to hack into the AIM servers.

Is the reason I didn't appreciate the end of Iron Man 3 is because I'm mostly ignorant about the comic book universe?

-Spoilers- You've been warned:

So, was giving up the suits and finally removing the ark reactor a story point from the comics? I know Pepper was never a fan of Stark playing "Hero" and always endangering himself, perhaps this decision he made was for her ultimately? I might've just missed that by accident, cause I was still swooning over the final battle. Did Tony give it all up cause he wanted more of a normal life, did I just flat out miss something... or what?

It's not that I hated that drastic change, just makes me afraid for the future of Iron Man.

Other than that bit of confusion, I enjoyed the film well enough, from beginning to end I was enthralled.

I wished some of the more notable suits were given more screen-time, instead of being fodder for the Extremis super soldiers. I also have mixed feelings about the Mark 42 being a glitchy, worthless, and unreliable piece of dung.

I thought there was a suit based on the Extremis technology, we weren't given that in this movie. So, is that what he's going to return with, I assume?

The short answer to your first question is yes.

There have been many times where either Tony was no longer acting as Iron Man, no longer building suits, and trying not to be the hero. Before Rhodes was War Machine and became a separate hero, he was piloting the Iron Man armor. Also keep in mind that for a long time, the identity of Iron Man was a secret. The shrapnel was removed from Tony's chest at some point before the Extremis armor was developed, I don't recall exactly when.

In the comic, Extremis was the name of essentially a super soldier serum that granted the recipient crazy, superhuman powers. During the comic arc, Tony modifies Extremis to suit his own needs and builds an armor around it. If you have Netflix, you can watch the motion comic of the Extremis arc. It's really well made. Before we went to go see the movie, me and a friend of mine (who had never seen it before) watched this and after the movie, he said watching this helped understand what Extremis was and how it worked, because the movie kind of glosses over that.

Anyway, the Mk 42 was vaguely based off of the Extremis armor (the comic Mk 30) because he is able to assemble it on him remotely. The Extremis enhanciles in the movie are similar to the enhanciles in the comic, though a little more simplified.

The short answer to your first question is yes.

There have been many times where either Tony was no longer acting as Iron Man, no longer building suits, and trying not to be the hero. Before Rhodes was War Machine and became a separate hero, he was piloting the Iron Man armor. Also keep in mind that for a long time, the identity of Iron Man was a secret. The shrapnel was removed from Tony's chest at some point before the Extremis armor was developed, I don't recall exactly when.

In the comic, Extremis was the name of essentially a super soldier serum that granted the recipient crazy, superhuman powers. During the comic arc, Tony modifies Extremis to suit his own needs and builds an armor around it. If you have Netflix, you can watch the motion comic of the Extremis arc. It's really well made. Before we went to go see the movie, me and a friend of mine (who had never seen it before) watched this and after the movie, he said watching this helped understand what Extremis was and how it worked, because the movie kind of glosses over that.

Anyway, the Mk 42 was vaguely based off of the Extremis armor (the comic Mk 30) because he is able to assemble it on him remotely. The Extremis enhanciles in the movie are similar to the enhanciles in the comic, though a little more simplified.

Thanks for the insight.

As mentioned, I did enjoy the film. It's safe to assume we'll see Iron Man again the Avengers 2. I'm on the edge of my seat to see what they're gonna do with him.

Like I've said before, I would not be surprised (and in fact would really enjoy) if Rhodes took up the Iron Man persona for a while, either in Avengers 2 or Iron Man 4 or beyond.

Like I've said before, I would not be surprised (and in fact would really enjoy) if Rhodes took up the Iron Man persona for a while, either in Avengers 2 or Iron Man 4 or beyond.

I think Captain America 2 will feature a different kind of "Avengers" team with Falcon, Black Widow and Iron Patriot (so far) . I think Iron Patriot will fill in the Iron Man role of the team.

Why is there an Iron Man Post Release topic if we are talking about everything here?

- - - Updated - - -

I loved Iron Man 3. I can overlook most of the flaws mentioned, but there are two things about it bothering me.

1- Barrel of monkeys. What looked to be a very compelling, intense, and suspenseful scene, and my favorite part of the trailer, had the most contrived resolution. I was so looking forward to seeing what happened. What a letdown.

2- Ten rings. I would have preferred to see a real Mandarin, but I did enjoy the plot twist. However, the Mandarin was supposedly the leader of the 10 rings. Going from the first two movies, the 10 rings is a real terrorist organization. I don't think someone could just create a fake leader to a real terrorist organization.

Honestly if iron man gets replaced. By ip or whatever. Ill not be happy. I cant see rhodes being the new Downey. Its just my opinion. Id love to see an ip movie in fact. But not as a replacement. Its not that cheadle would be there. I like his character. It would be the lack of Downey. Id go see it. But unless it blew my mind wouldnt go and see it more then once.
I just love him as an actor. In sherlock too. I dont think iv not enjoyed a film with him in. Definitely not a recent one.
J

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

I liked it! I swear people look way to much into movies nowadays!

There's nothing wrong with analyzing movies. I hate it when I go see a film with a friend and try to have a discussion about it, only to have them say they either liked it or didn't like it, yet don't know why they have that opinion about the movie.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

There's nothing wrong with analyzing movies. I hate it when I go see a film with a friend and try to have a discussion about it, only to have them say they either liked it or didn't like it, yet don't know why they have that opinion about the movie.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ok I liked the fact that the movie wasnt about Tony being Ironman but more about Tony Stark! I liked the new take on the character!

I just hate how everyone nowadays trys to be a movie critic, its a movie relax people its not something that will change the world!

and personally I liked
the plot twist with the Mandarin! It made me laugh and Ben Kingsley is awesome! I also loved Guy Pearce as the villian very well done

Maybe as a side character but not as a main character.

It would make ZERO sense since people go see the Iron Man movies for Iron Man AND RDJ.

Frankly most people don't care about Rhodes. Hence why he is always on the side. Heck he didn't do anything except screw up in this one.

Ok I liked the fact that the movie wasnt about Tony being Ironman but more about Tony Stark! I liked the new take on the character!

I just hate how everyone nowadays trys to be a movie critic, its a movie relax people its not something that will change the world!

and personally I liked
the plot twist with the Mandarin! It made me laugh and Ben Kingsley is awesome! I also loved Guy Pearce as the villian very well done

110% agree!!! What bugs me is they will probably not try something like this (which i found much more intellectual) and just stick to mindless blowing up of stuff (which is fun but gets boring VERY fast) since the average viewer doesn't 'get it'. I'v seen some of the reviews out there on movie critic websites and honestly... you can tell those people haven't seen much.

What i like about those new superhero movies is they are darker and more 'true to life'. Comics are just that comics. They don't portray good on the big screen. This new Iron Man was different, but i feel it portrayed Tony Stark and his human weaknesses (how many times did he say it? I AM IRON MAN), so it makes complete sense. It was refreshing too and still packed a lot of action.

Last edited:
I'm quite capable of enjoying a movie for what it is. I am a lover of films moreso than a lover of Batman and Iron Man films actually. And this film was just lazy writing and film making IMO. I admittedly laughed a lot. And I wouldn't call the Mandarin thing a twist. It gives movie twists a bad name actually. Seen better thought out twists on every episode of "Three's Company." Dated myself there. :lol To me it was just a lazy way out of not knowing where to take the character.

And you would really call this an 'intellectual' movie?? Summer-blockbuster-popcorn-Michael Bayesque, maybe. Can't say I expended a single brain cell watching it. Which is fine. I love movies like that too. Just expected more from Iron Man.

The haters can hate all they want but the movie's already pulled in $680M global in 2 weeks. It's starting to feel like one of those bad reality shows (well they're all bad, let's be honest) - people keep talking about it being a trainwreck but they still keep watching it. Marvel just got rewarded big time for taking Iron Man 3 in this direction, we better believe they're going to take some creative risks with future movies. Thor 2 looks like pretty standard superhero fare and is already in post production, might be one or two small twists in there but I don't think it's going to be as polarizing a movie as IM3, but Cap 2 and GotG are fair game.

The opinions from the hardcare fanbase community are really very misleading I feel... I actually think the general public LOVES this film. A lot of the casual moviewatchers I spoke to actually find this to be their favorite IM film, not kidding. I'm more curious to see what the domestic dropoff is for next week's box office, certainly the international sales haven't weakened much in its 2nd week.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back