Iron Man 3

Just because you didn't enjoy a movie doesn't make you a "hater." To me a "hater" is someone who went in wanting to hate it and nothing could make them love it. I went into this wanting to love this movie. My expectations were clearly too high.
And since when do we all have to love the same movies? I respect those who enjoyed this movie. I only ask for the same respect in return for not liking it for entirely legit reasons. This forum section is here to discuss those reasons civily.

I am happy it's doing big box office. It means they will do more and maybe in my eyes get it right next time. And there was never any doubt it would do huge box office. Big box office is more about marketing and franchises nowadays than necessarily about great movie making getting its due. I mean look at the top 10 biggest money takers of all time and at least half are terrible movies in my mind. Back in the day Spidey 3 broke records and I think we can all agree on how great that one was. :lol

Gotta say, while I would have liked to see more IM and suits, I like the aspect of this kind of having Stark figure out that he's the hero and not just the suit.

Just because you didn't enjoy a movie doesn't make you a "hater." To me a "hater" is someone who went in wanting to hate it and nothing could make them love it. I went into this wanting to love this movie. My expectations were clearly too high.
And since when do we all have to love the same movies? I respect those who enjoyed this movie. I only ask for the same respect in return for not liking it for entirely legit reasons. This forum section is here to discuss those reasons civily.

I am happy it's doing big box office. It means they will do more and maybe in my eyes get it right next time. And there was never any doubt it would do huge box office. Big box office is more about marketing and franchises nowadays than necessarily about great movie making getting its due. I mean look at the top 10 biggest money takers of all time and at least half are terrible movies in my mind. Back in the day Spidey 3 broke records and I think we can all agree on how great that one was. :lol

My post wasn't directed at you just so you know, Kev. I frequent CBM and SHH a lot and plenty of haters there, the RPF negative reviews are pale by comparison.

Comparing it to SM3 is just a slap in the face to Marvel Studios btw, as flawed as IM3 is there's still no comparison to that hot mess of a threequel. What I believe to reaffirm Marvel's decision to continue taking risks is because the general reception for IM3 is almost consistently better than IM2 across the board. The Phase Two movie that fans should probably worry about the most is Cap 2 and the Russo brothers, who knows how they'll reform the 'political thriller' genre in that film and how much leash Fiege is giving the Russos. I think Gunn will take some liberties with GotG but I also think they're still going to stick to familiar sci-fi stylistic approaches.

I'm quite capable of enjoying a movie for what it is. I am a lover of films moreso than a lover of Batman and Iron Man films actually. And this film was just lazy writing and film making IMO. I admittedly laughed a lot. And I wouldn't call the Mandarin thing a twist. It gives movie twists a bad name actually. Seen better thought out twists on every episode of "Three's Company." Dated myself there. :lol To me it was just a lazy way out of not knowing where to take the character.

And you would really call this an 'intellectual' movie?? Summer-blockbuster-popcorn-Michael Bayesque, maybe. Can't say I expended a single brain cell watching it. Which is fine. I love movies like that too. Just expected more from Iron Man.

Yes i can, especially when referring to the usual summer movies (which is what i was doing) that Hollywood puts out.

Your expectations were wrong, like a few others. Not your fault, they were based on the first 2 Iron Man movies. Which is why people are posting negative reviews about this movie.

Some people were expecting Iron Man blowing up everything, then getting his butt kicked, getting a new suit and kicking major ass. Throw some AC/DC in it and girls wearing not much.

Instead they got Iron Man showing he actually is human, having a hard time, getting over it, and kicking some butt along the way. Oh and he showed he loves his gf. It's an evolution of character which they told people was coming and has been 'in the work' ever since the first Iron Man started.

Oh and i LOVED that all the latest Marvel movies actually make sense and follow each other (Captain America/Iron Man/Avengers/etc). It's like a big family of movies.

Kick ass!

Edit: Just be happy Marvel is doing it right... unlike DC Comics (Superman with no trunks, really?...).

Last edited:
^ I was in agreement with everything up until you bashed Man of Steel b/c of the dude's new costume, which is counterintuitive with praising a rival studio b/c they focused on the man instead of the suit :rolleyes

I'm actually expecting great things from MoS, don't care if it's DC or Marvel.

Oh and i LOVED that all the latest Marvel movies actually make sense and follow each other (Captain America/Iron Man/Avengers/etc). It's like a big family of movies.

Kick ass!

Edit: Just be happy Marvel is doing it right... unlike DC Comics (Superman with no trunks, really?...).

Actually, that's not totally true. The Spider-Man and X-Films (even Blade and Ghost Rider) are all Marvel films that are (or were?) outside the Marvel Movie Universe. Marvel was very lucky to be able to set up thing's they way they did (and owe Jon Favreau a debt of gratitude for making a very good first Iron Man film and for putting in the after the credits scene).

As to last part of your statement, I agree 110% - it's not just the trunks, though - Snyder & Co. just don't seem to 'get' the Superman character. Of course, I am basing that on what we've seen so far and am reserving final judgement until I see the film.

I had the tendency to be more of DC Comics guy over Marvel Comics. Marvel has just knocked their films series over the wall for homerun after homerun - whereas, DC just can't seem to get their act together. I stopped reading DC after the launch of the new 52 (which for the most part, I thought was terrible).

I really enjoyed Iron Man 3 - I don't get what some folks expected from it and why there's so much disdain for it. But, hey - to each their own.

^ I was in agreement with everything up until you bashed Man of Steel b/c of the dude's new costume, which is counterintuitive with praising a rival studio b/c they focused on the man instead of the suit :rolleyes

I'm actually expecting great things from MoS, don't care if it's DC or Marvel.

Haven't you heard? The suit makes the man.

Actually, that's not totally true. The Spider-Man and X-Films (even Blade and Ghost Rider) are all Marvel films that are (or were?) outside the Marvel Movie Universe. Marvel was very lucky to be able to set up thing's they way they did (and owe Jon Favreau a debt of gratitude for making a very good first Iron Man film and for putting in the after the credits scene).

As to last part of your statement, I agree 110% - it's not just the trunks, though - Snyder & Co. just don't seem to 'get' the Superman character. Of course, I am basing that on what we've seen so far and am reserving final judgement until I see the film.

I had the tendency to be more of DC Comics guy over Marvel Comics. Marvel has just knocked their films series over the wall for homerun after homerun - whereas, DC just can't seem to get their act together. I stopped reading DC after the launch of the new 52 (which for the most part, I thought was terrible).

I really enjoyed Iron Man 3 - I don't get what some folks expected from it and why there's so much disdain for it. But, hey - to each their own.

I did not like the spiderman movies. The last one was ok (much better actor/acting) but the story lines heh. I am biased toward not liking spiderman though, i barely consider him a superhero :lol

As for X-Man hmnnn tought one... I found them 'ok'. Same as wolverine. But again... never been a big fan of them.

Now Iron Man, Thor, Superman (and the Justice League main cast), Batman i am a BIG BIG BIG fan.

Now don't get me wrong, i am going to go see MoS and i expect it to be awsome first because the actor is a very good actor, second because it seems they have a good grasp of the story and of the character.

I just think the suit makes him look ridiculous. Add the red trunks and a belt that's a bit wider and it perfectly fine. I will cringe every single time we see him in daylight and think 'what the heck were they thinking' but does it mean i'm not going to see it or the movie will suck? Heck no.

superman-man-of-steel-set-photo-costume-henry-cavill-01.jpg

Look ma, no undies!

Attachments

• superman-man-of-steel-set-photo-costume-henry-cavill-01.jpg
    superman-man-of-steel-set-photo-costume-henry-cavill-01.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Ronan87 - I wasn't commenting the quality of the movies, just noting that they're not part of the Marvel Movie Universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ronan87 - I wasn't commenting the quality of the movies, just noting that they're not part of the Marvel Movie Universe.

No not of the movie but they are part of the marvel universe.

Maybe the x-men should team up with the avengers? :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from an afternoon matinee. This was my most anticipated movie of the summer and right out of the gate I can't help but feeling a bit disappointed(I really hope Star Trek and Superman don't let me down too). It's not a bad movie and I'll almost certainly buy it when it comes out on Blu-ray, but the sign of a film I really enjoy is if I'll go back to see it in the theater again and right now I don't think I have the desire to do that. It just felt too long and overblown and a lot of the attempts at humor really fell flat to me. I also hated how The Mandarin was handled and one reviewer that said Kingsley was the best screen villain since Ledger's Joker clearly needs his head examined. Overall, I'd give it a B- or C+ which is a big disappointment after going in expecting an "A". :(

Having said that, I do hope Downey returns as Iron Man in Avengers 2 because Cheadle just doesn't have the screen presence of RDJ and A2 will suffer greatly if he's not back with the rest of the cast.

Last edited:
No not of the movie but they are part of the marvel universe.

Maybe the x-men should team up with the avengers? :lol
X-Men, Spider-Man and the others I mentioned are not part of the Marvel Movie Universe because the movie rights belong to someone else (Marvel has got the rights back to Daredevil and might have Blade, too).

So, unless there's some serious give-and-take negotiating by the studios an Avengers X-Men team is very unlikely in the foreseeable future.

X-Men, Spider-Man and the others I mentioned are not part of the Marvel Movie Universe because the movie rights belong to someone else (Marvel has got the rights back to Daredevil and might have Blade, too).

So, unless there's some serious give-and-take negotiating by the studios an Avengers X-Men team is very unlikely in the foreseeable future.

I was kidding, even if they had the rights, i don't want to see spiderman webbing around in the avengers 2 :lol

This is the most frequent complaint I've seen/heard about this movie. Now, I haven't seen the movie yet and i don't read comics at all, but what is it that makes him a bad character in the movie?

Cuz he is like SO TOTALLY BAD! Beer?

Anyone who seen it knows what I mean :lol

Go watch it, it's fun :lol

From a purely cinematic point of view, having the comic book Mandarin as the main antagonist would just be too much of a cliche. Heck, Ben Kingsley already played a VERY similar role in the Thunderbirds movie. There have been too many Ming the Merciless/Mandarin/Ras-Al-Ghul type characters over the years. Even Batman Begins made Ras less like his comic book counterpart, probably for that very reason

If the post credits sequence of Thor 2 is not "Trevor" plotting to get out of prison (thus reaffirming that he is the real Mandarin and that the Trevor act was just done just so Tony and Rhodey did not blow his head off) let's just say some major $&@; will be flipped.

I love all of the hate I am seeing for this movie when it comes to the Mandarin straying from his "comic book likeness" when all of these same people above praise the Nolan villans like they are gods when they aren't even remotely like their comic book counter parts.

I love all of the hate I am seeing for this movie when it comes to the Mandarin straying from his "comic book likeness" when all of these same people above praise the Nolan villans like they are gods when they aren't even remotely like their comic book counter parts.

My criticism of the way The Mandarin was portrayed in this film has nothing to do with his "comic book likeness"....I just didn't like how the big plot twist was handled.

To the person above, am I the only one that knows about the motorcycle shown in The Amazing Spiderman 2 photos with a Stark Industry logo on the fuel tank? They already kinda confirmed it was set in the same universe as the MCU

To the person above, am I the only one that knows about the motorcycle shown in The Amazing Spiderman 2 photos with a Stark Industry logo on the fuel tank? They already kinda confirmed it was set in the same universe as the MCU

That was not a set prop. That was a fan who lived in the area who took it to the set and some people took photos.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back