ILM X-wing photos

DON'T FEEL BAD!!! I looked at them,TWICE = before I noticed this tag!:wacko :lol I feel a little red now! :$ Thanks Apophis!

And plus I did say it was Red 2 in the post, lol! - but hell, you can both be forgiven for not wanting to wade through all that blather when the thumbnails beckon!

Cheers for the pic offer, ND. I'll send you a pm...

An interesting feature on Red 2 are the lines drawn onto the engines - especially the starboard upper. They're not just panel lines, either; more like something from a circuit diagram...

Hello Newbie

On the third thread, are these the famous X-Wing Red 5 pictures that is so talked about? Unfortunately, I missed those controversial photos.

Nope, they're not.

But here are some that may be some small consolation to those who missed out.

The first is of Red 5 (From 'Art of Star Wars Diary 1997'). For anyone who didn't know where all the styrene chips should go on the underside.

The second is of Red 1, from the packaging of Revell's pocket kit, where it was composited with some irrelevant planet, then touched up with 4 extra red stripes to stand in for the destroyed Red 5 model. Judging by the shadows it looks like the same photo session as the notorious banned photos (which showed as much Red 1 as Red 5).

Then there are some close-ups of the ubiquitous publicity photo of Red 2. These are from a very high res publication of the photo from some old SW mag. You can actually see very clearly how ILM goes about doing X-wing window panes, or at least how to mock them up for a publicity shoot.

Last edited:
Nope, they're not.

But here are some that may be some small consolation to those who missed out.

The first is of Red 5 (From 'Art of Star Wars Diary 1997'). For anyone who didn't know where all the styrene chips should go on the underside.

The second is of Red 1, from the packaging of Revell's pocket kit, where it was composited with some irrelevant planet, then touched up with 4 extra red stripes to stand in for the destroyed Red 5 model. Judging by the shadows it looks like the same photo session as the notorious banned photos (which showed as much Red 1 as Red 5).

Then there are some close-ups of the ubiquitous publicity photo of Red 2. These are from a very high res publication of the photo from some old SW mag. You can actually see very clearly how ILM goes about doing X-wing window panes, or at least how to mock them up for a publicity shoot.
I saw the red 2 mentioned in the description,I just didn't notice the red 2 tag on the photos! Anyway,you can clearly see that the first photo at the bottom in your post with red 5 in it-is BACKWARDS! :lol I guess that whoever put in in the magazine didn't realize this!!:wacko You can easily see that picture two,and three in your post are of red leader! Who did they think they were fooling? :confused :confused The last picture here is of them trying to figure out how to photograph this without a motorized armature. This is when they decided to use 12' inch models superglued to brass,and wooden dowels painted the same colour blue as the bluescreen behind them for diving,and immelman turns without complex mechanical devices. If you watch FROM STARWARS TO JEDI: THE MAKING OF STARWARS,you'll see what I'm talking about. P.S. I flipped the red 5 photo(here)around to face the correct angle,as the marking underneath its' fuselage is on the port(left)side. For those who wish to use this as a reference,click on the photo once when the little box shows up with the picture in it,then double click(one click,then one more after that-SLOWLY)on it to see it supersized for a better view!

Last edited:
You're right, they got that Red 5 the wrong way round - but what's worse is I failed to notice that. Oh, the shame...

Re the big Red 2 cockpit close-up, I just looked at some other versions of this publicity shot, and lo and behold, they show doctoring to smarten up the curling window pane edges.

What's this about 12" models? Better have a look at the vid you mentioned.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. I used to have that mag. Man, did I wear it out from flipping thru it so much!

ditto here. That magazine was like the SW modeling bible for me for many years (nice Galactica stuff too). Though my original copy is missing the covers and is dog-eared, I picked up one in great condition off ebay a few years back. Still a great book, even with all the modern reference photos floating around out there.

Here are 4 more photos almost certainly from the same reel of film as your b/w shot of the 2 pyros on stands in the paint booth. I dug them out of the internet - page 170 or something insane like that on an x-wing google image search. They were buried deep, but out there, illustrating an auction of the original prints - hence the sellers' label across the centre. So I'm presuming it's ok to post them. Maybe they've been seen here before, but if not, here you go.

These are from my collection. They are from the same photo session. Taken by , at the time , an by employee of ILM. There are about 25-30 in total. As posted on the other red 5 thread they are pyro models. I posted the un-watermarked one in the Red 5 thread originaly. The recent photo that Guy posted also originated from myself.

I don't have a problem with them being posted as I still own them.

And I'm glad this thread is starting to gain some speed with a lot of great photos. Thanks all.:)

Hopefully some of these SS X-Wing builds that seem to have petered out will pick up some steam too.

It just made since to have all these diferent picture threads of one subject condensed into one thread. Thanks Newbie.:thumbsup

I couldn't wait to get home today and post this! I get to contribute something to a good discussion here on the RPF. I've been reading back issues of the SW insider. I get this mag, flip through it and set them aside, so I've gone back over the last year and have been catching up. In the 100th issue, they are doing an article the 100 coolest things about SW. Page 32 Number 56 on the list is the X-wing fighter. They have a picture of an x that I have never seen before. it's wing markings say red1 but the fuselage is different. the cockpit is white, and there's no blast residue on it. There apears to be a grey stripe running across the nose, not far from the cockpit. It has red stripes on the nds of the engines like red 2 and the upper starboard engine has a white panel like red 2. I'll gladly scan the pic to pass it along to those that have the brains to post it.

I couldn't wait to get home today and post this! I get to contribute something to a good discussion here on the RPF. I've been reading back issues of the SW insider. I get this mag, flip through it and set them aside, so I've gone back over the last year and have been catching up. In the 100th issue, they are doing an article the 100 coolest things about SW. Page 32 Number 56 on the list is the X-wing fighter. They have a picture of an x that I have never seen before. it's wing markings say red1 but the fuselage is different. the cockpit is white, and there's no blast residue on it. There apears to be a grey stripe running across the nose, not far from the cockpit. It has red stripes on the nds of the engines like red 2 and the upper starboard engine has a white panel like red 2. I'll gladly scan the pic to pass it along to those that have the brains to post it.
Sure! This is what this thread's about!

You have a PM incoming.

Edit- Got the pic, thanks and here it is.

red1xwing.jpg

Last edited:
It's unusual that there is no R2 unit and no interior. A strange picture for them to pick and put in the magazine.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back