ILM X-wing photos

First pic, Red 2/Blue 1 i reckon? The pyro, i have no clue, i know Red4 is ID' by the chip in the upper right wing, but this one is damaged on the upper left...hmm!

lee

Hah, great minds Jason lol, rear butt plate markings did it for me, then cemented by the engine cans, so for sure Red 2 Hero!

lee

Wow I want to thank everyone who posted these incredible pictures. This is a great thread!

For anyone who doesn't realise there are stacks of high res photos of the 1/24 Red 3 over at modelermagic, there are. Piles of them.

When I first read your post I thought you were mistakenly referring to the large scale Red 3 model that traveled with the museum tour a few years ago. I was amazed when I saw that I was wrong. Thanks for the heads up. While these are incredible pictures, it's sad seeing the lack of care that LFL has given these models through the years.

Thanks again everyone! :thumbsup

Were there any photos of Luke's X taken during the filming of Empire?

I posted a curious photo a while back on the thread which is some sort of composite of Luke's X flying to yodaland. The background is clearly not film but photo composite art, yet the model element looks grainy enough to be on film, yet it has zero motion blur, indicating either a still photograph or a shot definitely not in the film. But the engine lights look like the actual model lights, and not some airbrush touch-up, as they usually are in composite publicity photos. I haven't checked but the angle doesn't ring a bell from any shot I remember. So, it might count as a still photo of Luke's x taken during Empire. Anyway. here it is again:

It looks to me like Red 3 from ANH. I believe there are 3 stripes on the wing and the dark patch of weathering at the end of the R2 strip appears on Red 3. I'm not sure if this spot is unique to Red 3 or not. Could this be a composite made from the ANH scene where they are heading from Yavin to the DS? It's been so long since I've seen the untampered version of ANH that I can't be positive if this may have been taken from there.

It looks to me like Red 3 from ANH. I believe there are 3 stripes on the wing and the dark patch of weathering at the end of the R2 strip appears on Red 3. I'm not sure if this spot is unique to Red 3 or not. Could this be a composite made from the ANH scene where they are heading from Yavin to the DS? It's been so long since I've seen the untampered version of ANH that I can't be positive if this may have been taken from there.

That's Red 3 for sure, it has the strips on the back of the ramp which is a feature of Red 3.

Yes, you're right. It also has only 3 stripes, which I didn't even notice or check, since the whole image has such a Luke-going-to-Dagobah look about it....It's such a weird one this, in many ways. The tonal matching of the model to the background is botched, and the choice of composition appears to imitate a frame of film in the way the model is drifting into shot. Publicity stills usually exhibit far neater arrangements than this...The engine lights are red/orange, which together with the planet, indicates empire or jedi (always preferred the violet exhausts in the 1st film myself).

Last edited:
I saw the red 2 mentioned in the description,I just didn't notice the red 2 tag on the photos! Anyway,you can clearly see that the first photo at the bottom in your post with red 5 in it-is BACKWARDS! :lol I guess that whoever put in in the magazine didn't realize this!!:wacko You can easily see that picture two,and three in your post are of red leader! Who did they think they were fooling? :confused :confused The last picture here is of them trying to figure out how to photograph this without a motorized armature. This is when they decided to use 12' inch models superglued to brass,and wooden dowels painted the same colour blue as the bluescreen behind them for diving,and immelman turns without complex mechanical devices. If you watch FROM STARWARS TO JEDI: THE MAKING OF STARWARS,you'll see what I'm talking about. P.S. I flipped the red 5 photo(here)around to face the correct angle,as the marking underneath its' fuselage is on the port(left)side. For those who wish to use this as a reference,click on the photo once when the little box shows up with the picture in it,then double click(one click,then one more after that-SLOWLY)on it to see it supersized for a better view!

Also the fake red 5 (red 1) is mirrored.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back