How bad is your day going to suck when you hear your favorite celebrity dies?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I can only assume most if not all of us has a favorite celebrity. Someone you you admire and greatly enjoy their body of work. Now imagine coming to your usual RPF visit only to hear that they just died.

For me it's Clint Eastwood. The guy is 93 years old, for ******'s sake! Actor, singer and director. He recently said he's afraid to start any new projects for fear that he will pass midway through then someone else will have to step in and finish it thus screwing up his vision!

Last edited:
I am dreading the day Tom Baker and William Shatner dies. Tom Baker is about to be 90 and in poor health. William Shatner is 92. Leonard Nimoy hit my pretty hard.

The truth is, you think these icons will live forever... but they're still just people. They do have a bit of immortality, because their work lives on... most of us can't say that.

For me it was James Horner. He had reached a certain peak in his career where he didn't need movies anymore. He wrote "The 4th Horsemen" and "Collage for French Horn" as amazing film score-style symphonies, just without any movie to associate them to. Such beautiful work. And when he crashed his plane shortly after that latter piece, I was devastated. I had grown up with Horner all my life. His scores to "Star Trek 2", "Krull", "Battle Beyond the Stars", "Willow", "Avatar", and countless others were the foundation of my imagination and love for movies.

So nowadays, I get misty every time I play something by Horner. I miss him terribly, as he had so much more to do ahead of him. So to answer the question, my day improves and sucks both when I play something by him.

There is no current celebrity I feel that way about, because most have their greatest accomplishments in the past. Shatner, Harrison Ford, John Williams, Patrick Stewart, their time will come and I'll mourn some. But not like James Horner.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Robin Williams' overly enterjectic person and his super quick wit to come up with anything on the spot. While I surely haven't seen everything hes done, I've seen a good amount.
So that was pretty devastating to hear.

I think three that I can think of that will be a sad day, would be John Williams. Thankfully his legacy will live on through all his music.
Steven Spielberg and all the fun adventures hes made. That will be another sad one to lose.
And of course George....you know who. Even those that didn't like the prequels, or hated that he sold to Disney....the fact is, probably like 90ish percent of Hollywood is there doing their thing because they saw Star Wars and it blew them away. I would have not gotten into video editing and model building had it not been for Star Wars, so just for that reason alone, it will be a sad day when he passes.

The guys who have been heroes or idols since childhood. Eastwood. Shatner.

Plus one who is not an icon: Paul Le Mat. Super nice guy and and (to me) an underrated actor. Pretty good author too.

It's the same when a complete stranger passes because unless we know them personally that's what they are. Respecting someones body of work of is understandable but beyond that really all we know is the persona that they put forth which we often find out is different than the reality. Buy into their personas if you'd like but someone a long time ago gave a great piece of advice, "never trust anyone whose selling something."

Last edited:
For me, it already happened. I was 12 when Harold Ramis died, and I was devastated. I'd loved Ghostbusters since I was 3, and I grew up loving even more of his work, so that day was hell for me.

For me it was James Horner. He had reached a certain peak in his career where he didn't need movies anymore. He wrote "The 4th Horsemen" and "Collage for French Horn" as amazing film score-style symphonies, just without any movie to associate them to. Such beautiful work. And when he crashed his plane shortly after that latter piece, I was devastated. I had grown up with Horner all my life. His scores to "Star Trek 2", "Krull", "Battle Beyond the Stars", "Willow", "Avatar", and countless others were the foundation of my imagination and love for movies.

So nowadays, I get misty every time I play something by Horner. I miss him terribly, as he had so much more to do ahead of him. So to answer the question, my day improves and sucks both when I play something by him.

There is no current celebrity I feel that way about, because most have their greatest accomplishments in the past. Shatner, Harrison Ford, John Williams, Patrick Stewart, their time will come and I'll mourn some. But not like James Horner.

IMO, James Horner is neck-in-neck with John Williams.

His ST2 theme is... simply... perfect...

..and hearing the ST refrains and hints in his Krull soundtrack is a wonderful kind of silly...

Muhammad Ali and Arnold Schwarzenegger are mine....I still tear up when I think about Ali...Proper legend of a bloke....

Arnold too...Franco's death caught me, and it'll hit REAL hard when he goes to meet his mate and play one last game of chess....

There are so many of the celebrities whose works I have grown up with that are quite old now, that I fear that we'll have a new 2016 any year now ...

For me otherwise, it is Mel Brooks. He is 97 y/o.

IMG_1546.jpeg

Personally, the passing of any celebrity has no effect on me whatsoever. If it's somebody whose work that I Iiked I might find it a bit sad but I'm no happier or sadder at hearing their passing than I was before I found out that they had died. I think that, for me, it's because I've never been someone who's really never been into hero worshipping while growing up, and as an adult I don't care about getting autographs very much, and I'm not into photo ops either. I might respect someone for what they've done, particularly if they've done something particularly noteworthy outside of acting, singing, etc. but I can't say that I idolize them. The closest I come to that is greatly admiring Chesty Puller and would have loved to have met him, but that's in large part due to me being a Marine, few Marines don't admire Chesty who's a legend in the Corps.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back