Things you want deleted from your memory.

The level of expectation rises (in entertainment) rises as we get older. Shows that we watched when we were younger that mesmerized us, may not have the same effect when we are older. It would be a shame to forget the joy the original viewing brought us.

TazMan2000
What for you bury me in the cold, cold ground?

(Sorry. I can't help it now.)

Were I to watch Firefly for the first time today I honestly think I would be just as impressed as I was back then. I'm an old guy, and I haven't changed that much. The age of the production and effects isn't a factor because the limited budget was apparent even back then. It's the characters, acting, themes and writing that made the show and those aspects never get dated.

What for you bury me in the cold, cold ground?

(Sorry. I can't help it now.)

Were I to watch Firefly for the first time today I honestly think I would be just as impressed as I was back then. I'm an old guy, and I haven't changed that much. The age of the production and effects isn't a factor because the limited budget was apparent even back then. It's the characters, acting, themes and writing that made the show and those aspects never get dated.

I'm not denying that.

I just meant what ALLEY posted about Kirk 'needing his pain'. Our brain, is everything that we are...it defines us. Our brain is constantly changing. Learning, forgetting and dealing with every conceivable feeling. Every second it's changing and that means our personality is changing. So if we were able to erase bits and pieces of memory, we would be deleted what the brain has learned during those times, effectively causing us to lose experience. Anybody who has ever dealt with someone with a stroke, can vouch for what I said.

If you erase the experience of pain when you cut your finger by holding a knife incorrectly, you're more than likely going to make the same mistake again. So every experience, whether good or bad, defines who we are.

Scientifically and psychologically speaking, if we could erase traumatic events from people's brains that caused them to behave criminally, or improperly, we may be able to "fix" people that have "issues". But it is like ripping several pages randomly out of a book...it won't be the same, and the brain likes to fill in the gaps and based on the person's experiences, the "story" it fills in can change the person's personality.

I'll stop. I don't want to derail the thread into going a direction that was not intended.

TazMan2000

I'm not denying that.

I just meant what ALLEY posted about Kirk 'needing his pain'. Our brain, is everything that we are...it defines us. Our brain is constantly changing. Learning, forgetting and dealing with every conceivable feeling. Every second it's changing and that means our personality is changing. So if we were able to erase bits and pieces of memory, we would be deleted what the brain has learned during those times, effectively causing us to lose experience. Anybody who has ever dealt with someone with a stroke, can vouch for what I said.

If you erase the experience of pain when you cut your finger by holding a knife incorrectly, you're more than likely going to make the same mistake again. So every experience, whether good or bad, defines who we are.

Scientifically and psychologically speaking, if we could erase traumatic events from people's brains that caused them to behave criminally, or improperly, we may be able to "fix" people that have "issues". But it is like ripping several pages randomly out of a book...it won't be the same, and the brain likes to fill in the gaps and based on the person's experiences, the "story" it fills in can change the person's personality.

I'll stop. I don't want to derail the thread into going a direction that was not intended.

TazMan2000
There you go adding real-life to a figurative rant.

Brainwashing.jpg

TazMan2000

You folks know what I'd really like deleted from my memory?

All the junk that Firefox keeps loading into my RAM every time I just want to visit a site like RPF(or any other site!)!!!!o_O

I'm not denying that.

TazMan2000

Dude, I wasn't planning on getting a temporal lobotomy.

I just wanted to watch a TV show. :confused:

My time watching the 1996 film The Rich Man's Wife, with Halle Berry, Peter Greene and Christopher MacDonald. As much as I enjoy watching the lovely Ms. Berry, no woman on earth is beautiful enough to make up for the last 60 seconds of that film.

SSB

Except I can go back and watch the same shows today that I loved when I was younger and get the same experience. They are just demonstrably better than what we have by every coherent metric. My standards have remained the same. It's the current batch of shows and movies that have gone through the floor.
I still enjoy Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlet, UFO, etc...you'll come-back to those moments of your childhood.:love:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back