Things you want deleted from your memory.

I want every episode of Firefly deleted from my memory so I can enjoy the series for the first time all over again.

The level of expectation rises (in entertainment) rises as we get older. Shows that we watched when we were younger that mesmerized us, may not have the same effect when we are older. It would be a shame to forget the joy the original viewing brought us.

TazMan2000

What for you bury me in the cold, cold ground?

(Sorry. I can't help it now.)

Were I to watch Firefly for the first time today I honestly think I would be just as impressed as I was back then. I'm an old guy, and I haven't changed that much. The age of the production and effects isn't a factor because the limited budget was apparent even back then. It's the characters, acting, themes and writing that made the show and those aspects never get dated.

I'm not denying that.

I just meant what ALLEY posted about Kirk 'needing his pain'. Our brain, is everything that we are...it defines us. Our brain is constantly changing. Learning, forgetting and dealing with every conceivable feeling. Every second it's changing and that means our personality is changing. So if we were able to erase bits and pieces of memory, we would be deleted what the brain has learned during those times, effectively causing us to lose experience. Anybody who has ever dealt with someone with a stroke, can vouch for what I said.

If you erase the experience of pain when you cut your finger by holding a knife incorrectly, you're more than likely going to make the same mistake again. So every experience, whether good or bad, defines who we are.

Scientifically and psychologically speaking, if we could erase traumatic events from people's brains that caused them to behave criminally, or improperly, we may be able to "fix" people that have "issues". But it is like ripping several pages randomly out of a book...it won't be the same, and the brain likes to fill in the gaps and based on the person's experiences, the "story" it fills in can change the person's personality.

I'll stop. I don't want to derail the thread into going a direction that was not intended.

TazMan2000

Dude, I wasn't planning on getting a temporal lobotomy.

I just wanted to watch a TV show. :confused:

By all means do. Watch the bad ones too, so you can appreciate the good shows more.

TazMan2000

There are no bad Firefly episodes.

Who are you talking to?

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was dissing Firefly.

TazMan2000

Firefly was all I was talking about from the start.

If you were having a separate conversation with ALLEY that's your business. I only replied to where you were quoting and replying to me. Or were you getting your conversations mixed up?

Last edited:
Firefly was all I was talking about from the start.

If you were having a separate conversation with ALLEY that's your business. I only replied to where you were quoting and replying to me.

I was speaking 'generally', right from the start. I'm not going to get into a discussion about what you perceived I meant.

TazMan2000

giphy.gif

The Star War Christmas special. I saw this when it first aired on TV as a kid. Yes, I'm that old.
Even my friends at my elementary school (and what kid alive in the late 70s wasn't a SW fan?) thought it sucked.

Ya know it totally sucked, but did not destroy the characters.

I still enjoy Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlet, UFO, etc...you'll come-back to those moments of your childhood.:love:
So do I. In fact, we recently watched the original Captain Scarlet on DVD. I have to order New Captain Scarlet one of these days because that was excellent. It's not about nostalgia, it's about quality.

I was speaking 'generally', right from the start. I'm not going to get into a discussion about what you perceived I meant.

TazMan2000

So first you state you don't know where I got the idea you were talking about Firefly but when I explain, you then say you don't want to get into a discussion about what I "perceived" you meant. Remember this all started with your response to my thesis about Firefly. Why wouldn't I think we were talking about that? LOL.

Regardless. Neither of us is interested in protracting this...

MJ 02.gif

MJ 03.gif

Last edited:
Remember this all started with your response to my thesis about Firefly. Why wouldn't I think we were talking about that? LOL.
I responded with a general remark. Not anywhere do I attack Firefly. If you want, we can discuss this via PM. My initial reply wasn't meant as an attack. I don't want to get this thread shut down because of a misunderstanding.

TazMan2000

I responded with a general remark. Not anywhere do I attack Firefly. If you want, we can discuss this via PM. My initial reply wasn't meant as an attack. I don't want to get this thread shut down because of a misunderstanding.

TazMan2000
At no point did I ever feel like I was under attack. Everything I posted was meant to be taken in good humor. Truly.
As far as I'm concerned we are still just having fun here - even the manufactured "drama" is all for fun. Please don't take it to be anything more than that.

At no point did I ever feel like I was under attack. Everything I posted was meant to be taken in good humor. Truly.
As far as I'm concerned we are still just having fun here - even the manufactured "drama" is all for fun. Please don't take it to be anything more than that.
Phew!

TazMan2000

Definitely Force Awakens and Last Jedi. Fortunately never even bothered watching Rise.

Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII just so I could play them again from a blank slate.
The Force Awakens is not much more than a loose remake of A New Hope, but I rather liked The Last Jedi because of Mark Hamill's performance. But The Rise of Skywalker was almost unwatchable because the characters are scattered all over the place and none of it makes much sense.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back