Fantastic Four

Before reviews here's Trank;:
".... We were on-schedule and on-budget and we had a great shoot. I run a really tight ship as a director because I take those days very seriously. I take every day very seriously in terms of what we need to accomplish, what we need to get done with the actors. And I just like being on time. For instance, Chronicle was like a thirty-four day shoot. This was twice as long as that so you really have to pace yourself throughout. And shooting a movie this big, this is my first time shooting a movie that’s this long, you get to the editing room and you’re surprised by the stuff you didn’t anticipate would work so well. And just like Simon was saying, you see those little connective things that you didn’t even realize and you’re like “God, I’d like to grab that up.” And what’s been so cool is that the studio has been very happy to make that happen because they’re so excited about the movie..."

Sounds like someone in complete creative control and grateful to the studio for providing the opportunity, no?

If the reviews had been favorable would he have come out suddenly blame Fox for mucking up his movie?

He's already garnered a reputation in the FF shooting as unapproachable in the creative process (perhaps due to being overwhelmed by a massive studio project?). Now, with an impulsive Twitter post spits poison at Fox studios.

Good lord, this guy's career is a slow-motion car wreck.

Please, Josh. Pull it together. You are young and still have enough clout to keep working if you just stop burning your bridges. If the Wachowskis and Blomkamp can endure through critical and box office bombs then so can you. Just be smart and suck it up. It's not too late.

Last edited:
Since Josh Trank was so outspoken about promoting his personal vision with no regard to the source material or fans, the lousy reception can only reflect the weakness of Trank's creative capacity and nothing else. Let's see if he diverts blame or owns up to making this grand turd.

I'm just glad he bowed out of the Star Wars Anthology film he was going to direct because if FF is as bad as everyone is saying I wouldn't want him involved with a SW film.

I'm not gonna see this but I do have two things to add:

If you want a movie to reference as a "how-to" for FF? look at Guardians of the Galaxy,that kind of fun,yet serious way would work well with FF.

And Doom,even though I like the other FF movies I just don't think anybody realises haw to do Doom-here's a hint he's an imperialistic SOB,you'd need to have a guy who can act like royalty and act like he doesn't have time for anyone below his standards,I imagine him running into Tony Stark would be hilarious.

And I could see him siding up with Thanos,it'd be hell to deal with and funny when they start after each other.

This movie doesn't even warrant a watch from the $5 bin at walmart,if I ever get it free I may take a look.

Haven't viewed the film yet. But the producers of this say an X-Men/F4 crossover may be out of the question now (most likely from the failing numbers)

Honestly I think they'd have been better off making one last FF movie with the last cast. Like I said it wasn't perfect but they looked the part and it was at least somewhat closer to the original story. And Chiklis was the closest thing to the Thing so far. This new one has a cast that looks like they raided the leftover bin for a teen soap opera.

I thought this was the best summary of the movie I have seen. Truly a horrid film.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo5NETEV0S0
I've never seen Stuckmann feel so personally assaulted by a movie before!

I'm watching this review again ... and again.

My favorite quote is Peter Travers of Rolling Stone.
"The latest reboot of the Fantastic Four — the cinematic equivalent of malware — is worse than worthless. It not only scrapes the bottom of the Marvel-movie barrel; it knocks out the floor and sucks audiences into a black hole of soul-crushing, coma-inducing dullness."

The fact the director himself pretty much disavowed himself of the movie, that should say something.

But I thought it looked like total **** for months, and now my impression is confirmed with the reviews.

Just like girl busters looks like ****. And will turn out to be so.

Just like girl busters looks like ****. And will turn out to be so.

Difference being is that the director of the new Ghostbusters is standing by his work and so far no behind the scenes drama, re-writes or emergency reshoots have been reported. The only ones who are making a fuss about it are the ones who don't like the idea of it being a reboot to begin with and that fact that it has female characters instead of male characters. It's not called girl busters. It's called Ghostbusters.

Historically iconoclastic directors who feel their creative vision hopelessly corrupted by a studio tend to walk from projects, not cash the check and promote the film right up to the moment bad reviews come out.

Honestly I think they'd have been better off making one last FF movie with the last cast. Like I said it wasn't perfect but they looked the part and it was at least somewhat closer to the original story. And Chiklis was the closest thing to the Thing so far. This new one has a cast that looks like they raided the leftover bin for a teen soap opera.

Teen CW actors have to work too, you know ;o)

how come this got so universally panned, and the trailer didn't look THAT bad. and people are staying to their guns to not see it....as it barely made 11 million opening weekend.

Yet in turtles, the trailer was HORRIBLE, the Movie was HORRIBLE, and that went on to make 400 million?

I don't get it ;o)

in other news, mortal kombat remake up next.. sigh.

The Turtles movie had kiddie appeal, this version of the FF doesn't.

Also, before you get upset about a new Mortal Kombat movie, check out the Mortal Kombat Legacy series on youtube. If my information is correct, the movie is coming from the people that have been working on that series. For a youtube series with limited budget it is pretty good.

Yeah i have no clue why Trank wanted his own version and gets mad at Fox for wanting/doing changes to the film, he cearly stated he wanted it in his own way, and has an outburst when he hears that it did bad and blames the studio. Singer knowingly strays from comic books, but doesn't go insane when he hears about how it has done. And yet Singer keeps coming back!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back