Fantastic Four

I caught the trailer for the first time today, only to see what they had tacked on about Deadpool in the end...

If their goal was to make me excited for the inevitable reboot, if only to get as far away from this movie as possible.... It's working.

I'm fine with three crappy movies... as long as we get a Fantastic Fouth.

See what I did there? No? Okay, I'll show myself out.

Last edited:
Since Josh Trank was so outspoken about promoting his personal vision with no regard to the source material or fans, the lousy reception can only reflect the weakness of Trank's creative capacity and nothing else. Let's see if he diverts blame or owns up to making this grand turd.

Last edited:
These reviews def arent a surprise. Fox has been badly promoting this from the start. It basicly felt like they dint have any confidence in what they had. I will still go see it cus more then often reviews on websites dont always mean i cant enjoy it but im not too hopeful about this.

Well I may be alone in this but.....I actually liked the last two FF films,the second wasn't as good as the first but it worked okay,I didn't care for Doom like this latest one,but the films as a whole was pretty good.

Now the strange thing? honestly if you wanted to make a good FF film then all you need is in the MCU films-think about it after the first Avengers you could have Reed running experiments based on the NYC attack and then in some manner he does a run awhile after and the resulting accident transforms him and the others into the super people we all know.

Doom could be introduced in another MCU movie entirely,hell even in one of the Dr.Strange movies would work,or Thor.

So yea if they had the property something good could be done,but even still I do like the two older films.

About all I like is keep the X-men separated pretty much,you could have Wolverine pop up but,please,they be so complicated working them in would be a nightmare.
Deadpool can crash anything and it'd be fun.

And one thing I find just WEIRD is that they (Sony?) have X-Men,Deadpool,Spider-Man,and Fantastic Four and yet.....why have FF and Spidey never crossed paths with anybody else??? I know Deadpool is but the fact you have Spider-Man right next door to X-men and they never even mention each other? that's just bizarre,and FF is supposed to be fellow NYC people and no Spider-Man? da frig??

Anyway just spitballing.

And one thing I find just WEIRD is that they (Sony?) have X-Men,Deadpool,Spider-Man,and Fantastic Four and yet.....why have FF and Spidey never crossed paths with anybody else??? I know Deadpool is but the fact you have Spider-Man right next door to X-men and they never even mention each other? that's just bizarre,and FF is supposed to be fellow NYC people and no Spider-Man? da frig??

Anyway just spitballing.

Sony has Spidey and Fox has X-men/FF, so no crossing over.

What a difference a day makes. Now at 8% on RT. Wow. And the reviews that are piling up on there make good reading. Trank and (especially) Kinberg really dropped the ball on this one. More than any other Marvel property, this one's supposed to be about heart and family, and almost none of that seems to have made it into this film. I don't expect Fox to let go of their rights to this any time soon, but I'd love to see Marvel get this back and make it as a Netflix series, preferably drawing heavily on the Ultimate FF for the first bit -- that origin for all their powers, Doom's mutilation, introduction of the N-Zone, pacing, and character interplay is terrific. Doom's knowledge of magic should actually be a thing, and not ignored. Especially with Dr. Strange coming along soon. I like Ultimate FF's set-up and use of the Mole Man and the resulting fight that reveals the FF to the world. Throwing them against Doom right off the bat is a bad move.

--Jonah

I've got to think that Josh simply phoned this one in. With SW being (having been) in his future his focus must've been anywhere but FF. I suspect Fox might have even communicated to him that the studio just needed a film on the books to keep the rights.

Josh had little incentive to do the requisite homework to make a sincerely truthful telling of FF.

Unfortunately the experience might have also been cause for others to question his work ethic. Hence Disney pulled him from SW.

Last edited:
I don't think we're going to get a good FF movie until Marvel/Disney gets the rights back, this movie was just a giant ploy to keep the rights for longer. Apparently Xmen is the only movie Fox can get right.

jaQQhE.gif

At this point Marvel would be wise to just wait this out and see if they can get the rights back for nothing. If Fox wants a trade, give them the ok on the X-Men TV show in exchange for FF. While it would be a while for the negative brand image of FF to fade, Marvel Studios can easily use a lot of the villains and related characters as part of the FF rights package for their Phase 4 slate, like Silver Surfer, Galactus, and the Skrulls. They can also introduce the MCU FF in another character's film and then build them up slowly to their own solo film in order to test the waters.

Watched it last night. Initial thoughts:

For a movie about a stretchy guy, an invisible woman, a guy on fire and a monster made of rocks, there's no comedy at all in this film
Absolutely straight forward boring story telling
missing backstory
plot points that go nowhere and are never referenced again
Dr. Doom looks lame
This movie has no soul

Despite all these things I don't hate it, it's just not a very good movie.

Just saw it...um...I liked the bootleg FF from way back better than this. This movie is beyond awful.

I'd rather go Clockwork Orange and be stuck watching the Reb Brown Captain America than this movie.

Doom is probably in the top 3 if not the best villain in comics and they just ruined the character. Maybe their setting it up for a sequel !

I knew this movie was going to be bad when the actors look nothing like the characters. The Jessica Alba FF movies might not have been perfect but at least they looked like the characters and had personality. Not to mention Johnny Storm grew up to be Captain America. This makes the bad 90s Marvel movies like Punisher and Captain America look good. Hell Rodger Corman's FF movie looks like a masterpiece now.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back