Fantastic Four

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/fantastic-four/36134/fantastic-four-josh-trank-drops-3d-conversion

I'd guess this is more of a cost saving measure, the 'buzz' on this has been less the positive and they may think they have a bomb on their hands.
I have an idea. They can save even more money if they sent it straight to Blu-Ray ... better yet, DVD.
Why do they insist on making Doom bio organic? he's a guy in suit of armor! I haven't followed the Four a lot but THAT much I know!
They simply discarded Dr. Doom's story and character leaving only the name.
It's like rebooting Jackie Brown starring Gwynneth Paltrow.

To be fair, that's actually something pulled from the Ultimate FF storyline -- along with the interdimensional transport (although the film transporter is far less cool looking or impressive than the comic version). When the five of them went through (the FF plus Doom), they came out warped into one of the five classical elements -- Air (Susan), Earth (Ben), Fire (Johnny), Water (Reed), and Metal (Doom). In Ultimate FF, the metal mask and armor were like a sort of carapace that was a part of him... but it did mostly look far neater (and more like the classic Doom) than this. Also, he got digitigrade legs out of it for some reason, which looked decidedly less than cool. But hey, made him look more like a devil, so let's beat the eeeeeeeeevil connotations of his transformation into the ground. :rolleyes

--Jonah

Good choice, we have seen lots of lava worlds, the green looks other worldly.

This is the first trailer that actually looks like a fantastic four film.

Could they have found a more generic looking cast? Aside from one guy now being black, I can't tell them apart from the last generic looking cast.

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/09/josh-trank-hopes-people-will-learn-something-from-fantastic-four/

"People are religious about comics the way people are religious about the Bible," Trank said. "But I think it's true for a lot of movies that you can take license with adapting the underlying material and you will be forgiven for it if it's good—and you will not be if it's bad."

Not so simple.
Into the Darkness was, technically, a perfectly fine movie with great action and story. But the misappropriation of a rich character like Khan Noonian Singh and reinterpretation as a more common archetype really corrupted the film experience for Star Trek fans.

So far everything about the FF production reeks of the same stuff in spades.

The FF is very difficult to appreciate as a work unless you're a comic fan to begin with. For someone without basic comic book literacy the FF is at best inaccessible and at worst completely ludicrous.

A disciplined filmmaker would either educate themselves on the source material (if they weren't already a comic reader) or pass on the project if they didn't want to bother.

A less disciplined filmmaker would reshape the material into something more familiar to them. In many cases it means reducing a story to your basic FX action hero flick paradigm. It's evident this is the case with the FF and Trank.

Josh's touch is like a vegan cook trying to make a Wagyu steak.

"I made every single choice knowing that people would question it," Trank acknowledged. "And what better reaction than to have people then go see the movie and understand it and feel like maybe they've learned something about the world, to not question the next thing they think is going to be stupid or weird. I think that's my purpose right now in my life."

This is Trank, in arrogance, asserting that he's enlightening the audience of FF fans who have read these comics for years. That attitude speaks for itself. He should admit he simply didn't have the attention span to read more than 5-6 comic books and that his involvement is more of a career move than a labor of love.

One thing I noticed is that, in films from Marvel Studios, the directors and actors speak of their love for the characters and excitement about the stories. I don't feel the same love or excitement when I hear interviews with the actors or Trank about FF.

Last edited:
Trank is the same as Bryan Singer: he had no interest in comic books and that's how we ended up with Superman Returns, he simply got lucky with X-Men. Bay is the same way: he has no interest in the properties or the fans he wants to stroke his ego with big budgets. I think Disney and Marvel look for folks who actually care for the property before they let them work on it. The only person lately who is passionate about a character for Fox is Hugh Jackman and he's retiring as wolverine soon.

Well this is definitely one I'm going to have to skip. Thanks for the trailer to reaffirm my fears.

I decided the same thing when I saw the SDCC panel and the director said he had never read the comics, he was just going off his impression of the characters and the old cartoons.

Well, it is even more telling that what should be a big blockbuster with lots of hype has been a relatively quiet thread and little buzz going around now.

Know what's funny? I didn't even know this was out until Matt Zion on the youtube channel Wreckless Eating did a food review of Denny's items and mentioned it was out and I was like "hn?"

Growing up FF was my comic. Not X-Men, Fantastic Four. Making a decent FF movie seems to be a cursed enterprise. You want to see a great FF Movie? They did one, it was called "The Incredibles".

First reviews are out (embargo be damned), and yep, it's looking like a stinker.

http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/fantastic-four-review-reboots-marvel-comic-1201555905/
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/fantastic-four/review/813140
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/re...-suit-this-marvel-muddle.html#~pkqKlUPG4NveUy

Currently 20% on RT, suh-weet! http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four_2015/

CLmEaq7WgAA8q77.jpg:large

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back