Fantastic Four

After all the damage Fox has done to the name, they might have to pay Marvel to take it back.......

I'm half kidding, but in all serious it is a damaged brand now and even if Marvel got it back, they would probably want to sit on it awhile to let the stink clear out of the room.

It's also pretty easy to have no rewrites when he apparently didn't bother with a script and they're ad libbing much of it.

What about the sacred original?

imdb.com said:
Almost none of the scenes were filmed as scripted and, in fact, almost all of the scenes had at least one or two ad-libs. Most of Bill Murray's lines are ad-libs.

Even on the commentary track Ivan Reitman points out scenes where the actors are ad-libbing during the shoot, Including Rick Moranis performance during Louis' party.

GHOSTBUSTERS.

how come this got so universally panned, and the trailer didn't look THAT bad. and people are staying to their guns to not see it....as it barely made 11 million opening weekend..

Actually, the trailer did look that bad. I don't know anyone who said, "Wow, this movie looks sweet! I can't wait!"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rocket science. Did people like the comic? Yes? Then make a movie of that.

if you want to make something else, make something else instead of bait and switch of using the FF name to try to get people to come see your fresh new idea.

Hollywood needs to learn this lesson - don't get so busy setting up a franchise that you fail to make a decent first movie. The sooner they lose a billion dollars on it the better. They've been making varying degrees of this mistake for years and it's getting worse.

As for the Fantastic 4 franchise? It's stunk-up now. Too many bad movies & reboots in rapid succession. Even if they make a really good reboot next time, it still won't make money. The public will need to be pleasantly surprised by a good Fantastic 4 movie from Redbox before they will give another movie a decent opening weekend.

But Hollywood never understands this principle. If they did then they wouldn't have been acting so surprised a few weeks ago when Terminator didn't perform well.

I think if Marvel Disney is given a shot at it, things may be more likely for it to be forgiven.

Cinema/comic/sci-fi nuts like us would give it another chance.

But the vast majority of the public wouldn't grasp that difference.

If handled/marketed right. I keep referencing the Ultimate FF as a good starting point for anything cinematic, and I'll carry that forward here. Drop "Fantastic Four" from the title for the next reboot, and call it "The Fantastic". Then, when people actually pay attention because they don't know what that is, show them that it's something good and that they haven't seen before. The pacing in those comics was brilliant -- Reed getting tapped by the Baxter think-tank, his past association with Ben, meeting the Storms and Doom, the teleporter... That can all be in the first hour, easily. As in the comic, have the accident (i.e., Doom thinking he knew better than Reed and screwing things up) scatter them and let us focus on each of their powers as they're found again. Leave Doom's whereabouts and fate (and powers) unknown for now. The Mole Man makes a good initial adversary (especially if, as they did in the comics I keep referencing, they'd established him earlier as a teacher at Baxter who left in disgrace and wants to get some revenge). Then tease us at the end or in a mid/after-credit scene to presage the next installment: "Doom". After Reed, Sue, Johnny, and Ben get fully and properly knitted together as a team in their next outing, then the third film can be called "The Fantastic Four" as they settle into their heroic groove.

Just a thought...

--Jonah

If they DO reboot, I hope they'll skip the whole "getting the team together" portion, myself. Start with them launching and the accident and with Reed and Sue already firmly together either as lovers or already married. They've been married since 1965 in the comics, for god's sake, we don't need to see their courtship (such as it was) again and again. A good writer can convey the broad strokes of the backstory (more than enough to get the point across) through interactions and dialogue.

So I'm listening to JT being interviewed for hours from Kevin Smith on his podcast and I'm starting to get the sense of someone who is more about being a director than he is about having stories to tell.

Last edited:
took my mom to see it on sunday after 2 pm .... THIS IS A REGULAR PERSON ( not one like a lot of people WHO HAVE AN AXE TO GRIND, mind you ) and she loved it .
grew up back in the day on marvel and dc comics when they were affordable ( 50-100 dollar an issue) but she asked me to get it and ANTMAN for her birthday cus she prefered ant over this lol.,

so I guess what im tyring to say is that ITS A LOT OF DIE HARD COMIC FANS rather than the common person on the street who hate the fudge out of this movie ...for the older crowd 50's and older i mean they really dont care o_O as long as the film is made and shown .
( totally not the case with BAY-TURTLES cus not even my 5 yr old nefews sat for that crap, tho they did sit and watch 1-3 OF THE ORIGINAL which GOES TO SHOW how timeless TMNT is )

took my mom to see it on sunday after 2 pm .... THIS IS A REGULAR PERSON ( not one like a lot of people WHO HAVE AN AXE TO GRIND, mind you ) and she loved it .
grew up back in the day on marvel and dc comics when they were affordable ( 50-100 dollar an issue) but she asked me to get it and ANTMAN for her birthday cus she prefered ant over this lol.,

so I guess what im tyring to say is that ITS A LOT OF DIE HARD COMIC FANS rather than the common person on the street who hate the fudge out of this movie ...for the older crowd 50's and older i mean they really dont care o_O as long as the film is made and shown .
( totally not the case with BAY-TURTLES cus not even my 5 yr old nefews sat for that crap, tho they did sit and watch 1-3 OF THE ORIGINAL which GOES TO SHOW how timeless TMNT is )
I'm glad your mom enjoyed the film. But I hope you're not making the case that 92% of film critics simply "HAVE AN AXE TO GRIND." (Based on 8% rating on RottenTomatoes) Certainly 92% of all film critics are not "DIE HARD COMIC FANS."

Nothing against your impartial mom but any film will statistically find an audience - even a small or sparse one. Heck, I loved the movie "Ninja Turf" which was definitely trashy by any count but I love that movie.

coy , i honestly have no hope for critics as a whole ( IGN and their bias RATING system that needs to be bribed ; or how a lot of movie critics get paid to praise a film that is garbage ...AIRBENDER / AFTER EARTH /DEVIL as prime examples ) .

as far as my mom , well she sat though all the marvel movies including X-final stand and GREEN LANTERN and liked those , she didnt complain once cus she has no issue with it as long as the story is good ( now we can argue about plot development til the mods come home , but plots are fickle things that change as the FILM COMPANIES do to suite the bigger audiance ...LIKE thor 2 when the entire malketh backstory was killed cus disney didnt like Odin being the villain and starting the war with malkeths peaceful people)

so ill try and clarify : DIE HARD FANS are the ones who nitpick everything wrong like EVERYTHING WRONG WITH HUNGERGAMES IN 5 MINUTES OR LESS who simply have nothing better to do than to talk smack rather than do their own adaption of the subject . (WTF LOL : predator dark ages is a perfect example of fan film done right / ASH VS DC DEAD is another )

for more clarification on HOW scumbaggy critics are and why i dont care about their POV , i suggest you watch simpsons GUESS WHOSE COMING TO CRITICIZE DINNER where homer was a good person and got his dream job as a critic , THEN got screwed over by selfish FRAKKERS who sabotajed him cus he was not a ***** like the rest of them to take advantage of the free food.

sory if this makes a little sense but i tried to hit all points man .

- - - Updated - - -

coy , i honestly have no hope for critics as a whole ( IGN and their bias RATING system that needs to be bribed ; or how a lot of movie critics get paid to praise a film that is garbage ...AIRBENDER / AFTER EARTH /DEVIL as prime examples ) .

as far as my mom , well she sat though all the marvel movies including X-final stand and GREEN LANTERN and liked those , she didnt complain once cus she has no issue with it as long as the story is good ( now we can argue about plot development til the mods come home , but plots are fickle things that change as the FILM COMPANIES do to suite the bigger audiance ...LIKE thor 2 when the entire malketh backstory was killed cus disney didnt like Odin being the villain and starting the war with malkeths peaceful people)

so ill try and clarify : DIE HARD FANS are the ones who nitpick everything wrong like EVERYTHING WRONG WITH HUNGERGAMES IN 5 MINUTES OR LESS who simply have nothing better to do than to talk smack rather than do their own adaption of the subject . (WTF LOL : predator dark ages is a perfect example of fan film done right / ASH VS DC DEAD is another )

for more clarification on HOW scumbaggy critics are and why i dont care about their POV , i suggest you watch simpsons GUESS WHOSE COMING TO CRITICIZE DINNER where homer was a good person and got his dream job as a critic , THEN got screwed over by selfish FRAKKERS who sabotajed him cus he was not a *CENSORED* like the rest of them to take advantage of the free food.

sory if this makes a little sense but i tried to hit all points man .

No matter what Fox is currently saying about moving ahead with the sequel, I think there's a good chance this goes to back to Marvel. If we look at Marvel's lowest opening weekends - Blade, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Daredevil, Elektra, Howard the Duck - they are all now back with Marvel. Probably unfair to include Blade on that list since those movies were R-rated but it did migrate back to Marvel like the others. FF ranks 8th lowest and sits behind Blade 2 and DD. Studios generally don't hold onto rights for the sake of it, especially when Fox is facing a possible $60M writedown for FF and the franchise is seeing a downward spiral. Certainly FF's publication numbers haven't been encouraging either (which studio execs do look at) and Marvel is making every effort to make sure it stays that way.

From a brand standpoint though, FF is as bad as it gets. 3 critically panned films and the last one opened to less than half the domestic box office of its predecessors. If Marvel does get the rights back, it may make more sense for them to re-build the brand by including the FF in other films before announcing a solo film. That's basically what they're doing with Hulk right now and could work with FF, though them being a team will complicate this effort.

One thing's for sure - if FF goes back to Marvel, we could see Galactus or Kang as the post-Thanos antagonist as early as Phase 4.

Last edited:
If Marvel does get the rights back, it may make more sense for them to re-build the brand by including the FF in other films before announcing a solo film. That's basically what they're doing with Hulk right now and could work with FF, though them being a team will complicate this effort.

This has been my guess too. They will somehow work the F4 characters into the rest of the Marvel stuff.

But I can't help but wonder - maybe certain comics just don't belong as full-length movies. I didn't think either of the Hulk movies were really BAD at all. The character just works better in smaller doses. Look at the F4, Dr. Doom . . . these characters are so friggin' cheesy and oddball that you have to wonder if they really belong as headliners. Some things just won't work in cinema like they do in comics.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back