Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Actually, the DOTD remake was a complete slap in the face when it comes to the story. I mean, everyone joins in on deciding to leave the mall because some idiot chose to conceal his wife's bite, ending up killing another member of the group in the process? And then a cop gives some stupid, "better him than me, it's better to die than to wait to die" BS pointless speech and everyone is like, "Hey, let's go to an island!" Even the A-hole who firsts disagrees with the idea decides to join in. Where's the person who actually would attempt to explain how the mall is keeping them alive? Apparently in Synder's world, no such person exists, there's no such thing as reasonable, and everyone are freakin' lemmings that deserve to be eaten by the living dead and aren't really worth the time for emotional investment.
In fairness I think it was the mall cops who said it was a crappy idea ... and I recall later someone else admitting they should have listened to him. Zach has done some mediocre films but DotD isn't one of them.

In fairness I think it was the mall cops who said it was a crappy idea ... and I recall later someone else admitting they should have listened to him. Zach has done some mediocre films but DotD isn't one of them.

But even the mall cop, who said it was a crappy idea, joined in on the idea, and, again, no one brought up the fact that it was the mall keeping them alive. I'm sorry, but DOTD was mediocre in the story department. When it comes to the production design/art direction, I'll give kudos to that (seriously, that mall looked like it was still in use, though it was a defunct mall scheduled for demolition). But other than that, DOTD isn't a good remake or a good film.

And that's just my opinion.

But even the mall cop, who said it was a crappy idea, joined in on the idea, and, again, no one brought up the fact that it was the mall keeping them alive. I'm sorry, but DOTD was mediocre in the story department. When it comes to the production design/art direction, I'll give kudos to that (seriously, that mall looked like it was still in use, though it was a defunct mall scheduled for demolition). But other than that, DOTD isn't a good remake or a good film.

And that's just my opinion.
I won't argue that it's an objectively gray film - only that I enjoyed it a lot.
Sucker Punch was much worse.

I won't argue that it's an objectively gray film - only that I enjoyed it a lot.
Sucker Punch was much worse.

I'm surprised anyone saw Sucker Punch. Snyder pretty much pointed out what anyone who saw this film was right in the first word of the title.

Ha...Zach isn't consistent but I liked DOTD. The source material was only ground breaking for it's time. He did well with it. Except for the Zombaby storyline...:facepalm

But you look at Bays DOTM and there are several unforgivable characters. Asian guy, John Malcovich guy, Decepticon business man guy, beer belly Autobot, the list goes on and on...

Yes, I am right.

Snyder's terrible, yet high end CG, incoherent, boring, unnecessarily dark raping of an iconic stories < Michael Bay's (occasionally decent) popcorn flick with the same.

Snyder takes other peoples properties and does what he does to them... some have worked (300), some tried hard but fell a little flat (Watchmen), some were decent - maybe even good (Dawn of the Dead). ....and some should never have been made (Man of Steel, Sucker Punch). Six of his even films are taking known (often iconic) work and adapting them to film... so there's something to say about Zack's lack of creativity.

Bay did make some movies based off the Transformers. But, he also made original* films like The Island (which I think is an underrated gem), Armageddon (classic), The Rock (which many seem to love).

So yeah, I'd much rather see Michael Bay do Superman or Batman than Zack Snyder - because I am a Superman and Batman fan and I don't like the treatment that I saw in Man of Steel - I think much of it was more about Snyder's ego than about the characters we know and love.

*By original - I'm not saying he created the idea or wrote the screenplay or anything

No, I'm right.*

If you want to talk about originality, he's announced a heap of original projects over the years that never went anywhere. Directors don't get to make whatever they like willy nilly.

Bay's made four Transformers movies of his eleven movies, one movie based on a true story, and produced a bunch of slasher remakes (most of which were god awful, like Texas Chainsaw 2003). Every movie that Kubrick made after 1956 was an adaptation of a book or short story. The number of adaptations in a director's body of work means...hold on, lemme get the figure...nothin'.

If you wanna call what Michael Bay did with Transformers a faithful adaptation, I'm not stopping you, but I'd also ask which cartoon you saw. Just because you liked it doesn't mean it's better.

*See how silly that sounds?

No, I'm right.*

If you want to talk about originality, he's announced a heap of original projects over the years that never went anywhere. Directors don't get to make whatever they like willy nilly.

Bay's made four Transformers movies of his eleven movies, one movie based on a true story, and produced a bunch of slasher remakes (most of which were god awful, like Texas Chainsaw 2003). Every movie that Kubrick made after 1956 was an adaptation of a book or short story. The number of adaptations in a director's body of work means...hold on, lemme get the figure...nothin'.

If you wanna call what Michael Bay did with Transformers a faithful adaptation, I'm not stopping you, but I'd also ask which cartoon you saw. Just because you liked it doesn't mean it's better.

*See how silly that sounds?
I'm still right.*

You can take my point however you'd like. You can take my opinion however you'd like. If you think Zack Snyder is a better filmmaker than Michael Bay, that's great - I think both make subpar films with little substance - but, I still think Bay's a better director and filmmaker than Snyder.

Yes, I am aware directors don't always get to make whatever they'd like. However, they do get a choice of what they do pick and they do get make certain choices on style and substance. Both of these have a certain style and stigma attached to them - I think it's clear that Bay is a more diverse director despite the jokes made about explosions and over-the-top effect work.

No, I think I made it clear that the Transformers weren't original - I saw parts of the first one, didn't see the rest nor the cartoon. What I saw, I didn't like and am in no way saying they were faithful. I understand folks like the cartoon and the movies - but, I don't think they quite have the iconic status like Superman (your mileage may vary).

*not silly at all when I say it.

I'll even add this: I might be the only person on the planet that kinda liked Sucker Punch. Not saying it was great by any stretch.

I don't remember much about Sucker Punch except that it has some pretty cool visuals.

The first Transformers was fun. 2 was painful and 3 was worse.
Visually they were great. That's it. Bay has been making mainstream movies since 1995. By my count most have been big budget popcorn flicks or meh horror remakes

Snyder has only made about 6 mainstream movies since 2004. Does that still qualify him as up and coming?
Watchmen was great BTW.

Bay is pretty much set in his ways and style. I think Snyder is still new enough to grow and improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where Zach excelled IMO: DotD, 300 and Watchmen. Everything else seemed less inspired.
I will say he's a consistent performer, though. I've never felt (even in Sucker Punch) that his films were complete bombs. He's got great visuals and can film action... but character isn't his strong suit - he's a B+ in that respect.

I must have watched a different Man of Steel than most people. I thought there was enough character development in that.
That movie wasn't without its glaring flaws and plot holes but it wasn't as bad as most people make it out to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snyder is (has become?) all style with little substance.

It's because of the strength of the source material that Watchmen was watchable - while I enjoyed it, part of me still thinks made that movie too stylish, too gimicky -- but, at the same time I like some of it - he just overdoes it. Again, I think the only way the movie works is only on the strength of Moore/Gibbons original.

300's similar to Watchmen... but, I think his over use of certain effects helped the movie.

By the time Sucker Punch came around - I knew what to expect, this is just a music video. All style and no substance - nothing mattered but the visuals.

Along comes Man of Steel and I get a dark, bleak, emo Superman. Snyder could've come in and given us the big, over the top superhero I thought he was capable of. Instead we get the mess called Man of Steel - and it's a mess. The whole thing just makes me sad.

So I'm hearing that Batman vs. Superman has started filming here in Detroit on Friday. There was some filming on the streets of Birmingham, MI (a few miles west of me) of Gal Gadot getting into a car... primary shooting at the Pontiac, MI soundstages should start this coming week,

While there's nothing wrong with MoS on a technical level the film never got to surprise me in any satisfying way - I felt like I've seen it all before.
Krypton looked like a hybrid of Avatar and Dune. Every character other than the hero seemed completely unnecessary (and underwritten) - even Lois. Afterward what was missing was the feeling of anticipation for a sequel as I did with the Nolan films or with many Marvel films. My standard is walking out of a film and instantly wanting to watch it again ... and that wasn't the case with MoS. Once was enough.

While there's nothing wrong with MoS on a technical level the film never got to surprise me in any satisfying way - I felt like I've seen it all before.
Krypton looked like a hybrid of Avatar and Dune. Every character other than the hero seemed completely unnecessary (and underwritten) - even Lois. Afterward what was missing was the feeling of anticipation for a sequel as I did with the Nolan films or with many Marvel films. My standard is walking out of a film and instantly wanting to watch it again ... and that wasn't the case with MoS. Once was enough.

I still get that same feeling... after watching the Donner/Reeve Superman. Krypton was pretty bland. The characters were pretty one dimensional. The story was pretty dopey. The deus ex machina end solution was retarded. And I can't STAND Margot Kidder. So in that regard MoS is really no better than the original.
The one thing it does have, though, is a grittier, real look... mainly because of the time it was filmed and what they had to work with at the time. Older movies from that period look less polished/produced, even if in a lot of case there is a certain degree of cheesiness.

Snyder is (has become?) all style with little substance.

That's pretty much status quo for mainstream Hollywood. It's not always even the decision of the director when it's major summer blockbuster franchise material like Man of Steel. I don't know how much the studio forced his hand on the material. Maybe a lot. Maybe none.

My hope is that the studios and Snyder at least read critiques about the movie and make a conscious effort not to make the same mistakes in follow on movies.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back