Superman: Legacy

What I don’t need is a 20 something Lex going up against a 20 something Superman. Let Lex be in his 50’s, there no shame in that.
I don't know about a 50 something Lex, but he should definitely be in 30s or 40s to be credibly established as the Lex we know and to be believable as Lex too. The only way a 2o something Lex could work is if they change his backstory and make him initially not a villain, ambitious and maybe with somewhat flexible morals but not an all and out bad guy yet. But Clark/Supes does something that disrupts one of Lex's plans, disastrously, which causes Lex to turn to the dark side, so to speak. That might work, but I'd prefer the classic already established Lex though. He would definitely resonate with today's audience who tend to see any and every big time CEO as some sort of evil villain to hated and reviled.

I honestly have a little fatigue with Lex as the villain in another Superman movie and kinda wish they would choose someone else. But I get why he's an attractive villain if they are building a large, shared movie universe.
You know, there's one villain I don;t think they have done in the movies yet that Giancarlo Esposito's gravitas and persona would fit even better than Lex Luthor...

Brainiac.

He's a villain Superman has had a lot of trouble with in his encounters with him, and has proven to be a real match for him time and again. I can really see Esposito doing the voice acting for him like they had James Spader do for Ultron, and I think in Braniac's case, it would fit much better.

Last edited:
I don't know about a 50 something Lex, but he should definitely be in 30s or 40s to be credibly established as the Lex we know and to be believable as Lex too. The only way a 2o something Lex could work is if they change his backstory and make him initially not a villain, ambitious and maybe with somewhat flexible morals but not an all and out bad guy yet. But Clark/Supes does something that disrupts one of Lex's plans, disastrously, which causes Lex to turn to the dark side, so to speak. That might work, but I'd prefer the classic already established Lex though. He would definitely resonate with today's audience who tend to see any and every big time CEO as some sort of evil villain to hated and reviled.
Nicholas Hoult will be 34 soon (born December 7th, 1989). I think the idea that he's younger stems from people recognizing him from his prior roles, like the X-Men movies or Warm Bodies, which were filmed a decade ago. That, and generally he has a youthful appearance. So the concern may be less his age and more the perception of his age.

I don't know if there's a "right" age for Luthor in a Superman story, as a lot of it comes from personal preference, based on our own history with the character.

I don't know if there's a "right" age for Luthor in a Superman story, as a lot of it comes from personal preference, based on our own history with the character.
Yeah, I'm not sure there's a "right" age but I do think that there's a "good" age and I feel that's about 10 - 15 years older than Sups/Clark. Old enough to be believable as an ultrawealthy businessman and the head of a business empire. Cast Lex too young and it, to me, strains credibility that he's much of a super villain, certainly not if they portray him as classic Lex who's an evil Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk and already the head of a global multi-billion business that's like Apple, Disney, Amazon, Tesla, and Google all combined. Even in his 30s would be a stretch, but more believable as long as Lexcorp is scaled down and is not so large that it's into nearly everything, yet.

Yeah, I'm not sure there's a "right" age but I do think that there's a "good" age and I feel that's about 10 - 15 years older than Sups/Clark. Old enough to be believable as an ultrawealthy businessman and the head of a business empire. Cast Lex too young and it, to me, strains credibility that he's much of a super villain, certainly not if they portray him as classic Lex who's an evil Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk and already the head of a global multi-billion business that's like Apple, Disney, Amazon, Tesla, and Google all combined. Even in his 30s would be a stretch, but more believable as long as Lexcorp is scaled down and is not so large that it's into nearly everything, yet.
I agree. I didn't care for Jessie Eisenberg's version of Luthor. A big part was how he was written, but I also didn't care for his performance.

What I'd like to see is a villain that doesn't think he's a villain. It's not new, but I don't need to see as many megalomaniacal villains in these types of movies. If Luthor sees himself as the hero, his motivations are different than just being mentally deranged or even "just" narcissistic. Luthor should be cold & calculating, and only start making mistakes when his obsession with Superman gets the better of him.

I guess the real motivation of Luthor has been that he desires power, and Superman becomes his obsession not only because he thwarts Luthor's plans, but he also possesses incredible physical power that Luthor does not. He hates Superman not only for what he does with his power, but also for simply having that power.

I guess the real motivation of Luthor has been that he desires power, and Superman becomes his obsession not only because he thwarts Luthor's plans, but he also possesses incredible physical power that Luthor does not. He hates Superman not only for what he does with his power, but also for simply having that power.

1701377110725.png

Nicholas Hoult has kind of a baby face which is why he appears younger than he is. Something about his features just reads, youth. I mean in terms of aging, good for him.

I'm ok with a younger Lex, especially if they paint him as a bit of a nepo-baby trying to get out of his father's shadow.

My favorite interpretation of Lex Luthor (and many of Supes' rogues gallery) is from the animated series. It never got out of B:TAS' shadow but it did a lot with Superman and his villains I think few ever matched since. Lex was one of them. When Superman shows up, Lex is already established. Comparatively similar in a way that the Kingpin is for Marvel, the only exception to Lex is that he can operate in broad daylight; he doesn't need to hide like Kingpin. He can commit crimes all he likes, his influence is quiet but everywhere; he is protected by the law. Superman can do all these incredible things with his fantastic abilities but Lex is capable of making actual lasting change, good or ill, and it's Superman that can't do a thing to stop it. Lex is a "true" villain in this regard. He does what he wants to mock Superman because he enjoys it and, simply, because he can.

I'm ok with a younger Lex, especially if they paint him as a bit of a nepo-baby trying to get out of his father's shadow.
That would work, I just wouldn't want to see a 20 something Lex that's already as established as classic Lex is, to me that's just not believable. I could potentially see him as a sort of Zuckerberg like character that heads up some sort of tech start up that got huge, fast, but even that's a bit of a stretch for me and it would have to be one company with a singular focus and not a multi-national conglomerate.

That would work, I just wouldn't want to see a 20 something Lex that's already as established as classic Lex is, to me that's just not believable. I could potentially see him as a sort of Zuckerberg like character that heads up some sort of tech start up that got huge, fast, but even that's a bit of a stretch for me and it would have to be one company with a singular focus and not a multi-national conglomerate.
It’ll never happen.

Insert snarky Millennial with a “rare disease” that makes him lose his hair and becomes extremely intelligent who hates Superman because…reasons!

That’s what we’ll get. No motivation, no reason, just jealous revenge for no reason.

It’ll never happen.

Insert snarky Millennial with a “rare disease” that makes him lose his hair and becomes extremely intelligent who hates Superman because…reasons!

That’s what we’ll get. No motivation, no reason, just jealous revenge for no reason.

I know there are many examples, but this one jumped to mind...

1701460578121.png

I know there are many examples, but this one jumped to mind...

This guy reminds me of the creep that ran the Tilt-o-Whirl ride at the nasty carnival that came to my hometown, every 4th of July…

“The super power of ‘The Tilit-O-Whiirler’ is to stare at you in a way that induces nausea and discomfort and makes you leave the immediate area…”

IMG_3495.png

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back