3 foot Star Destroyer WIP/Update 2/11/13

Re: Studio Scale 3 foot Star Destroyer WIP beginning

congrats on your art work....It looks to be an awesome piece...who knows maybe some one out there will look to commission you.

I thank you so much for such a great compliment! I would be honored to build for someone one day:rolleyes

Re: Studio Scale 3 foot Star Destroyer WIP beginning

The last thing I have done is the detailing for the flap shocks. These are actually electrical connectors from inside a dvd player. They came from a connecter box. I love found objects!:lol

Last edited:
Re: Studio Scale 3 foot Star Destroyer WIP beginning NEED HELP! last page

I think you're doing a great job! I've begun saving up kits and found parts for my own so I'm really enjoying reading about your project!
What are you using to create the engine 'piping'?

Thanks for documenting!!!

I think you're doing a great job! I've begun saving up kits and found parts for my own so I'm really enjoying reading about your project!

Thanks for the comment. I used electrical wire and then just bent it to the position I want it. Its really easy to control. For some of the smaller piping through the model I use bent paper clips.

Also some of the pipes are just kitbashed pieces.

Ok, after a little bit of time off do to work, and a long decision process of whether to finish this model or start over, I decided I've gone this far so I am slowly getting back into working on it.

The first thing I started working on was a lighting test. I have worked with lights before, however, I have never worked with fiber optics. So i began running a few into the bridge to see how it would work. Though tedious, its actually pretty fun!
Sorry the pics aren't very good, my camera still bites! Haven't got a new one yet.

Re: 3 foot Star Destroyer WIP/Back to work!

COOL! I'm happy to hear you're going to finish what you've started here! I think you would have regretted not finishing it after coming so far. Looking great!

Thanks Rick. Of course you know if you hadn't given so much helpful info about the destroyer in your thread and through pms, then I wouldn't have to make a decision. Its all YOUR fault! lol :lolI do appreciate all the help!

This is SUCH an amazing build! One thing I really dig is the illusion of size you've managed to create. If you did some photos of these against a galactic background, it'd look like a full-sized SD. All the little shadows from the kitbashed parts and the fiber optic lights really complete the illusion. Really great work! You're way too hard on yourself. ;)

Thanks Dart I very much appreciate the compliment! I AM very hard on myself. I strive to be at the level of the guys on this site and to do that I sorta become a perfectionist!:wacko...I need to learn to relax more!:lol

Beautiful SD! Love your attention to detail. Hmm, with a length of three feet I think that plastic easter eggs should do nicely for the main engine nozzles. Keep up the good work!

Robert:)

Anyone who has tried it knows that Star Destroyers are one of the hardest, most time consuming subjects to replicate, not too mention the more expensive ones.

Yours really does look good. It's a very cool interpretation of the 8-footer scaled to 3 feet. If you could get it to WonderFest next year, it would be cool if we could display our SD's together.

Thanks Rick that looks awsome! Im gonna bust my butt to finish before then. Providing funds are good, I'm definitely in!!

Progress is going slow because I have been working a lot of hours, but I have had a chance to continue working on the detail on the rear of the superstructure.

That's more like it! I thought we were gonna have to hunt you down:lol

Stunning work, as usual!

Robert:)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back