1/9th Scale Jaws Orca (NECA Size)

Looking very good...as for the elastics (I've used those over the years for various models), it will fail after a few years:oops::((n)
I'm already experiencing the replacement of a few on my model (the engine bells on my 2001 Moonbus). The mix of glue + the paint is not a good combo for the rubber. It looks good, for sure; but it's ephemeral :confused:
How did the material fail? Between the glue, stain, and not over stretching the material, it seems to be very solid. You've got me interested.

As Joberg says above “elastics” (many rubber products, not all) will deteriorate over time. The standard reasons are usually due to moisture, heat and sunlight. Other things that significantly accelerate this are “fumes” from paint, glue and solvents. As an example is rubber bands used in your model building. They last a very long time when used to hold things together in a room. Use them with your paint, glue, thinner, brushes stored in a cabinet or desk draw they start crumbling after a few months.

My remote control warship ship models use elastic thread for rigging to permit disassembly for easy access. Has lasted 10 years. Looks terrific, but I know in time replacement is likely.

^^
What Searun said exactly. I'm sure some of the models built by pros are also using the "Elastic trick" to put some easy- to- do-details in a fast way.

These elastics, around the bells, have been replaced twice already. No biggie; removing the old and affixing the new + Molotow paint.
That's about a half hour...top! But I know; it's going to be ephemeral:(;)

Attachments

• 1583702732501.png
    1583702732501.png
    751.2 KB · Views: 41
^^
What Searun said exactly. I'm sure some of the models built by pros are also using the "Elastic trick" to put some easy- to- do-details in a fast way.

These elastics, around the bells, have been replaced twice already. No biggie; removing the old and affixing the new + Molotow paint.
That's about a half hour...top! But I know; it's going to be ephemeral:(;)
Wellllllllll,....hell. sounds like the way both of you describe the elastic it will be around for the test of ........sometime, if you get the joke. Thank both of you for enlightening me about this material.

Wellllllllll,....hell. sounds like the way both of you describe the elastic it will be around for the test of ........sometime, if you get the joke. Thank both of you for enlightening me about this material.
Just an add-on; I've also tried hair ties (a mix of fabric + elastic) I placed the tie on the bell and soaked it with crazy glue. While the fabric + elastic became hard with the glue, it suffered the same fate over time...albeit not as fast as a simple elastic:(

The exhaust stack is done. yes the exhaust flapper works. Now I have to find the mast hole location in the deck. All this to get the wiring done. It's like A + B = X. If Jonny is traveling at 40kph to get home 140km away, and Jonny's bath tub is filling 5L a minute, How far away from home will Jonny be when his tub overflows?
421631266_1115702542764299_762606229020157558_n.jpg
421554769_1367946153825048_6629764994343317548_n.jpg

looking great I hope your smoke works better than mine, it works but I think I over filled it on the trip to the lake so it need burning off.
On my next build I'm going to do a self-build Vape unit like on the spinner it's much easier to service an has a higher out put.
As for your exhaust wrap I think you will be fine as you are. I used
IMG_3421.JPG

it scales perfectly for heat tape. but it's probably too late to change.
the wiring was my biggest headache it slowed down my build be weeks while I worked out what to do. If you never need to dismantle the boat
it would be easy. I ended up with 2 connectors, one for the mast and one for the cabin roof( spot light) 3.5 mm stereo jacks work I think I might do the same again.

Last edited:
Lets start this thread with why I started building the Orca. Neca did it, they made me do it, I had no choice........after seeing their Jaws action figures of course. Neca did a great job on Quint and Hooper (arrival and shark cage). Sadly no Brody. I do talk with Trevor Grove the designer of the Neca Jaws heads often. I'll only say this about a possible Brody figure. Uncross your fingers, stop holding your breath and be patient,.........In the meantime, ( I couldn't wait) I built a custom figure with the 3D printing help of a friend of mine.
Here's my Orca crew...........
Hi ! Where can we found the brody’s clothes please ?

Hi ! Where can we found the brody’s clothes please ?
Ebay, Some of the clothes are very hard to find. Take your time searching. It took me a long time to find the correct clothes. His boots were almost impossible to find. I got lucky finding them. What Brody head are you using for your figure?

Ebay, Some of the clothes are very hard to find. Take your time searching. It took me a long time to find the correct clothes. His boots were almost impossible to find. I got lucky finding them. What Brody head are you using for your figure?
yes I realize how complicated it is to find the most similar police outfit. I spend my days searching all over the Internet. I haven't had the head made yet. I'm doing some research on Facebook. Regarding the body I bought the two Hooper figurines, and I'm going to use one of them to put Brody’s head on it, regarding the size of the clothes that would be necessary, I don't know what scale I should choose. Could you help me, is 1/12? 1/9?

yes I realize how complicated it is to find the most similar police outfit. I spend my days searching all over the Internet. I haven't had the head made yet. I'm doing some research on Facebook. Regarding the body I bought the two Hooper figurines, and I'm going to use one of them to put Brody’s head on it, regarding the size of the clothes that would be necessary, I don't know what scale I should choose. Could you help me, is 1/12? 1/9?
You're looking for 1/9th scale 8inch clothes. Have you ever heard of MEGO figures? That's the size clothing you're looking for. I can also help with a Brody head. The link is from Bloop @ CGTrader web site. That head will fit the NECA JAWS body. Good luck and can't wait to see you finished project.

yes I've already seen this 3D file, it's the only one I found and another where the head is already built, look:

I've never heard of Mego figurines, don't you have a link?
you don't have instagram or facebook, would that be more practical?

yes I've already seen this 3D file, it's the only one I found and another where the head is already built, look:

I've never heard of Mego figurines, don't you have a link?
you don't have instagram or facebook, would that be more practical?
Try this link

www.classictvtoys.com

I have that head also without the glasses.

Thank you but i don’t see the brody’head in your link
And on your website there are not for a figure 9’ only 8 and 12

Last edited:
Thank you but i don’t see the brody’head in your link
And on your website there are not for a figure 9’ only 8 and 12
You want 8" clothes for these figures. Not 9".
Oh, you wanted to know where I got my Brody head? Is that what you're asking? It was an Etsy purchase, well, it's on Etsy now, but 3 years ago a friend of mine designed and printed it for me.

Ah OK. I'm French so I use an application to translate and I understood in your message yesterday that you told me to go see the link you gave in order to find Brody's head. I have found a head but i don’t buy it for the moment, one on ebay I am mainly looking for beige clothes shirt and pants.

Ah OK. I'm French so I use an application to translate and I understood in your message yesterday that you told me to go see the link you gave in order to find Brody's head. I have found a head but i don’t buy it for the moment, one on ebay I am mainly looking for beige clothes shirt and pants.
Here's a shirt you might try

Here are pants

A badge

Like I said shoes are very hard to find, but try these

Amity patch, It might say 1/6th but it will fit a 1/9th scale figure

Hope this helps, I just dressed your figure.

Last edited:
Here's a shirt you might try

Here are pants

A badge

Like I said shoes are very hard to find, but try these

Amity patch, It might say 1/6th but it will fit a 1/9th scale figure

Hope this helps, I just dressed your figure.
Thank you it is very kind to you, the shirt is a pity it is for a 12 inch figure, it will be too big, unfortunately the figure made 8 inches, I am desperate

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back